suggestions for older gamers?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by swampgiant, Feb 14, 2014.

1. swampgiant

swampgiant New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    My wife and I recently bought my mother in law an ipad. She's german/in germany. I loaded it up with sudoku, candy crush, angry birds and a couple board games... those germans love their board games! :D

i could use some recommendations. especially games that do not rely on in app purchases. a single purchase fee game is ideal. this has proven to be a frustration for her with candy crush as she loves the game but isn't about to shell out money to progress. Also, games that have a trial or free version to see if she digs it would be a plus. Her parents don't have a credit card so we had to buy her a itunes gift card. She doesn't get out much so I'd hate to waste the credits I loaded her ipad up with on testing out games.

puzzle games, games without the stress of a timer, and great replay value would all be happily welcomed.
    We're also trying to turn her on to Big Fish games which she's slowly getting the hang of.

Toucharcade, come to my rescue! These types of games are not my taste so my knowledge is limited. Thank you in advance!!!

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #2 Bool Zero, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    How much older? And how much gaming experience? Actually the age doesn't really matter on this part, IMO. My 64 year old mother is a big gamer herself, loves her RPG and actions games, plays her Call of Duty Ghosts online daily for several hours after work, so to me the age aspect doesn't hold as much as the gamers experience.

If she is a new gamer, these are some of the games I'd recommend to her:
    Threes!
    Tiny Thief
    The Big Fish games
    Obviously some Sudoku
    You have the right idea with board and card games, both the traditional (Chess, Backgammon, Yatzee, etc) and some euro board games (Caylus, Catan, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride, Timeline, some of the Reiner Knizia games, etc)
    Angry Birds, Bad Piggies, Icebreakers, etc.
    Time Geeks
    Word games (there's tons of them all with different twists, so you could get several and they could all play differently enough)

Also find out what books she likes and load those up as well
    Medication reminder apps wouldn't be out of the question either

My biggest question though is if she speaks and reads English or not as this would be a limiting factor to further contributing to this thread. Hopefully you bought things on a separate German account if that is the case...

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    While I am German myself, I am not very much into "our" boardgames.
    Anyways, there are quite a few of Reiner Knizia's (reputed German boardgame developer) games in the Appstore.
    And I think there was another guy, but that's only a vague memory; so no hint on the name, sorry.
    If you know what kind/style of boardgame she likes, they have their own category in the Appstore.

4. swampgiant

swampgiant New Member

Feb 14, 2014
    she is in her 60s and completely technologically illiterate. call of duty will never be part of her vocabulary. still trying to explain email. with that said, she's eager to learn and has been playing with the ipad every night since we gave it to her. as I mentioned, she's hooked on candy crush and sudoku. tonights lesson was google earth and it was like watching a little kid see a magic show for the first time.

games that require more than a few mechanics to consider or execute at once are tough. ticket to ride is one of the games i already put on there which she digs.

Card games was a great suggestion! I added Solitaire and I am going to browse some more.

She speaks a tiny bit of english. I added Duolingo and a good dictionary for her. :) But to answer your question, games with german versions are best.

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Fruit Ninja... Teach her to navigate to the Zen Mode.

6. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Try Catan, or the Hawaiian version (I forget the name)

7. SonixManix

SonixManix Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2013
    Cut the Rope maybe?

8. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    I have to agree... Cut the Rope, Where's My Water, Sprinkle, Jetpack Joyride, Fruit Ninja, Fish Out of Water, I wouldn't be too afraid of showing her some games with a bit of reflex involved and these are great gateway games.

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    CoD WaW Zombies. I bet your mother in law will love to kill some nazi zombies!

10. Happyman245

Happyman245 Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I like Angry Birds Space the best.

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    :O Woah

12. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    No, the woah is that she is really good too! Insult to injury when folks are talking smack to her online and then she hands them their ass only to let them know not only did they get beat by a woman (because sadly the online console gaming environment is still largely misogynistic in their regard to females online, online taunting starting with her gender unprovoked half the time) but also by a grandma!

Honestly, I think she games and has more friends online than I do! But then again she started my gaming addiction! Our Atari 2600 was a Christmas gift to us kids and wound up in her room with us getting a replacement and it never stopped from there! So growing up while we were gaming, my mom was gaming too!

13. jellybeans12345

jellybeans12345 Active Member

May 12, 2015
    vet nurse
    Australia
    Yatzee is a great game but beware of all the long drawn out ads its gets so frustrating and they offer free spins if you can sit through a 20 to 30 second app add and its painstakingly frustrating...

The game itself is great offers challenges against others you can not play a game just with the divice from what ive worked out which would be great but it does offer tournaments for prizes.:)