All my games I have worked on since 1982

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Patricia Curtis, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Patricia Curtis

Patricia Curtis Active Member

Jan 4, 2013
    Games Development
    Nottingham UK
    #1 Patricia Curtis, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    I have updated the front page of my site with you tube links to most of the games i have done in the past, so if you want a trip down memory lane going back to 1982 then please have a look at http://luckyredfish.com/previous-works

2. cdoty

cdoty New Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Amazing collection of games. I would've killed for the opportunity to work on the platforms you have.

3. Weird Dreams! Now THAT was both an original and challenging game!

/getting old :(

4. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Ooh Clayfighters 2 and Monkey Madness! Happy to meet you, sir.

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Clay fighters? Holy ish I wish I could shake your hand:)

6. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    #6 Capronissimo71, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
    Lot of old games from the 80's, probably the most prolific era for videogames and developers.

7. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Er, ma'am. :)

8. MarkFromBitmenStudios

MarkFromBitmenStudios Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2011
    IT Architecture, Development Project Manager
    Austria, Europe
    Hehe, you have no idea what you are asking for. I have been developing games on those platforms in the 80ies too and it was very different from today. Endless lines of Assembler coding. My first game was on a machine where the 8-bit CPU could not even do integer multiplication nor division, you even had to code that one. The CPU had 1MHz (no, not GHz) which is really slow. Don't even think about OpenGL or anything like that, we had to directly program the hardware to even make simple things happen.

Since the internet (or at least the WWW) was not around, getting information was also way harder. I remember traveling to conferences just to meet devs from the US so I could ask them to send me some hardware chip specs (you needed to know what every bit did and where they were mapped into memory). You could not order that information in Europe.

For my first game project, I had to use a line editor because full screen editors were not common back then. If you don't know what a line editor is, go google it, it is horrible.

This brings back old memories and I definitely enjoyed it back then (when all these things were just normal), but I never want to work like that again. ;)

9. lightningfast

lightningfast Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    London
    Great set of games. Some I do remember, and some I had a real pleasure to play.

10. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    "In myyyyyy dayyyy, we had only two buttons on the keyboard, and the computer crashed every time you pressed one of them and deleted all of your work, and it electrocuted you and you had to get picked up by an ambulance and go to the hospital, and that's how it was and we loved it!"

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    TMNT!

T2!

Sensible Soccer!

12. J-Cell

J-Cell New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Scrounger
    Auckland, NZ
    WOW!! Some great memories there. Thanks Patricia for all the good times :)

TMNT, T2 & Clayfighter are particular standouts

13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I learned to program basic and assembler on 8 bit machines but never got close to releasing anything back then. I was lucky enough to start actually working on games on the amiga where you could just about get away with writing a game mostly in C. I still wrote a hell of a lot of assembler for anything that touched the screen but haven't had to write a line of it since '99. With decent graphics hardware in everything and decent optimising compilers there really is almost no reason to use it at all anymore. Definitely a lost art.