Fire Emblem Free to Play Discussion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jn2002dk, Feb 2, 2017.

1. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Downloaded. Played intro. Downloaded some more. Played 1 or 2 more missions and then i noticed the dreaded stamina system. In a Nintendo game. Oh dear

2. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    What do u expect with a freemium game....? In fact they're energy/Stamina system is pretty damn fair.

3. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    i expect either no stamina system at all or failing that, an IAP to remove it. I would have been happy to pay 10$+ for that or upfront

This is isn't some small publisher or indie trying to make ends meet. This is Nintendo we're talking about. One of the oldest and most respected companies in gaming

Anyway, if you enjoy it good for you. For me, it's just another sign that mobile gaming is not the saviour it once looked to be

4. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Well Super Mario Run was 10$ no freemium stuff and surely you seen how people reacted to that...

5. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    U expecting the wrong things for a game that u knew was freemium and then all of a sudden act surprised when there is an energy system is in place haha such a joke

6. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Funny part is when the same people who complained about $10 spend a ton more on this game and don't think twice.

7. SayuNowa

SayuNowa Member

Jan 11, 2017
    The difference is there is a paywall in Mario but not in this game

note: i paid for mario :p

8. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #8 Intendro, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    Get away from the dark side, Nintendo.

No Internet requirement when it's not required. This is supposed to be "mobile," for one thing.

Timers are stupid. They don't just make you want to play something else... They make you play something else.
    Play something else, I will.
    But they don't want you to play something else.
    Most illogical.

...Well, Nintendo does want you to play something else, in this case. Ha...?
    But they also want you to play the games that make you want to play their consoles...
    The logic is all twisted like some kind of time paradox. #

"See you next mission."

9. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Agreed. I downloaded and began playing. But timers will eventually make me stop and play something else. I will end up probably paying nothing for a game with timers in it. If they didn't have timers or connection requirement and just had IAP for heroes and weapons/upgrades, I would've paid $10 for it. In the end, it's too bad. It's a fun little time waster, but it'll be another F2P that I don't pay for and will eventually shut down. But FFT will continue to live on after that. So I guess I'll enjoy it for a bit for what it is. Wonder how well it'll do for them though.

10. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Yet the game already has a high rating on the App Store. That's the problem. A lot of people here complain, but the average user who grabbed this for the Fire Emblem name is already happily throwing money at it.

This business model is horrible, but let's be honest, Nintendo is probably making more money this way so it's not surprising that they just want to make as much money as possible. The past has indicated that it doesn't really hurt their brand either so they've got little to lose.

At this point, we should put the blame pretty squarely at the people that throw money at these games. This isn't the early days of iOS gaming anymore where people were still unfamiliar with this business model and hadn't learnt their lesson yet.

What we're seeing here is Nintendo simply meeting a demand with supply. As long as that demand is there for p2w games void of any interesting gaming mechanics other than spending more money, then this will continue.

11. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Totally agree. Wish this was premium and not constant online. For business travelers flying is a great time to relax and play games. Needing wifi is silly and sure we can pay for the inflight wifi but still a bit sad that we can't just enjoy premium games without wifi.

QUOTE=Hambo12;3972329]Wish it was premium but seeing how Mario went... anyways hope this game does well for Nintendo so they can keep making Mobile games.[/QUOTE]

12. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I'd rather pay the 5 bucks that Steamworld Heist charges, and get it all in one download, no IAP. Screw Nintendo and their rapacious model. I would've hoped they'd have more style. Their pedigree would've merited a large price tag for a good, full N property. I'd fork over $15 easy for a nice Mario Golf 64 port.

13. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Here's the deal- you will never see an IAP to make a F2P game premium. They are mutually exclusive business models, you cannot cater to both types of consumers at the same time without going bankrupt.

And being Nintendo doesn't bring a lot of weight in the AppStore. Look no further than the entitled whining over the price point for Mario Run.

Finally, have gamers EVER said mobile gaming was a savior? I know developers hoped it would be, but core gamers have always looked at mobile gaming with disdain. But given that your "expectations" betray zero understanding of how the AppStore, Game Industry or game economies function I'm not surprised to see such idealistic hyperbole.

14. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Condescending while being completely ignorant. You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

Seeing as your entire ad hominem riddled post as based on assumptions i see no reason to dignify it with a proper reply. It's like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, it's still going to knock over pieces, shit on the board and strut around victoriously

Anyway, as i said, enjoy your freemium thrash. That's mostly what you'll get anyway with the occasional port of 10+ year old games and the rare indie gem that you can play on numerous other platforms anyway

Mobile gaming is horrible at this point and it's largely because of f2p apologists such as yourself

15. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Will play fe awakening and fates instead,not a dumbed down ios game knowing ports of ff tactics,games like banner saga are a thing,seriously can Nintendo look at banner saga and the other strategy rpgs?Western audiences hate gatcha systems and pay2win it's a fact so stop it and keep it in your country and if you make any of the upcoming mmos automated.......