The Cons and Pros of 'Plus+ and OpenFeint' for newbies

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Austin:], Mar 20, 2010.

1. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    There has been a lot of debate over which is the more superior social gaming network for the iPhone/iPod Touch, Plus+ or OpenFeint. Here are some of the cons and pros to these networks, if you are a newbie to these two networks, you may want to read this.

OpenFeint

Pros
    It has many achievements, most of the games that are OpenFeint enabled usually have a lot of achievements. Also, the achievements points seem to be pretty high to.

It has a ton of features, more so than Plus+. Unlike plus+, it has a 'Forums and Chat' menu that lets you talk to other OpenFeint users and discuss strategies, help, ect. Anohter cool feature is the 'Fan Club'. The Fan Club is pretty basic, you can become a fan of the game that you are currently playing. The most important feature in OpenFeint in my opinion is the Instant Messaging feature.

There are hundreds of games on the App Store that enable OpenFeint.

Cons
    Can be hard to navigate.
    Not as beautiful as Plus+

Plus+

Pros
    Way more beautiful than OpenFeint, the blue textiles and dots are pretty cool.

Has about the same amount of achievements as OpenFeint.

Simple, and not as hard to navigate as OpenFeint.

Cons
    Definitely lacking some of the major features that OpenFeint has. I would really like to see ngmoco:) update it so that it can have Instant Messaging and a Forums and Chat feature.

There aren't as many games that have Plus as their social gaming network. OpenFeint is the more popular one at the amount.

Winner: OpenFeint, although I prefer Plus+

2. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    what exactly the benefits of participating in either Openfeint or Plus+?

3. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Plus used to have a superior interface over Openfeint, but not so much anymore. Believe it or not there's actually more social networks than just those 2. Crystal is another one with a great UI and I think Cogs is the first game I've seen it in.

4. Austin:]

Feb 22, 2010
    Well, it's really just like a mobile version of Facebook for games. You compete for points, play against each other, and just have fun. As you earn more points, you can brag:D There is a lot you can benefit from.

5. Austin:]

Feb 22, 2010
    Yes, you are right, but the two MAIN ones are OpenFeint and Plus+, not a lot of people have been using Crystal since their are barely any games that support it. Yes, it is another great one. So is Agon.

6. Scythe89

Scythe89 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    In my experience there seems some (not all) OpenFeint games where the achievements give only 1-5 pts and the overall amount seems to be pretty low.

In contrast, Plus+ seems to have a little more consistent (though no standard) with the achievements having 750 pts or more in total. In addition, you can view games and their achievements before downloading/buying a game without the need of searching for it on the internet.

However, I'm surprised that there is no messaging systems in Plus+... I can't contact my friends with it.

7. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Gah I don't mean to get semi off topic but isn't Crystal still new though? From what I understand it's a new social game network from Chillingo who are known for publishing high quality iphone games. This could make them a huge Contender against Openfeint and Plus in the long run.

8. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout

cool, thanks :)

9. kalke

kalke Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I prefer openfeint because it so many games have it! :)

10. Nokendo

Nokendo Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Openfeint is superior because of its larger community, and it has a main app for conversing.

11. DPRICE81

DPRICE81 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Does plus give you combined points from all the plus games like openfeint does? Openfeint's free app a day greatly helps them too.

12. Scythe89

Scythe89 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Yes plus does

13. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    I like agon.....

14. sikichi

sikichi Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2009
    日本人
    all i see on openfeint is just goal not multiplayer like plus+

15. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    OpenFein't just more popular it seems..

when exactly did all the open feint madness begin?

16. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    plus+ sucks

17. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    honestly I don't really care much for either

18. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    It does, ngmoco (the creators) seem to have a thing for ****ing every game they develop up. On top of that the system is easy to hack (so I hear). AND you have to "apply".

19. Diggins

Diggins Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    your attic
    i used to prefer plus+ because it is much more aesthetic. but openfeint remind me of xbox live and doesnt lag like crazy anymore. also the huge community

20. Austin:]

Feb 22, 2010
    You only have to "Apply" for ngmoco:] games, which by the way I hate. All of the other Plus+ enabled games you do not have to "Apply" to play:)