iCade button customisation.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Squid123, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Yeah, mine are the OSBF-30s. The existing buttons are 28mm or so. So you'll need to sand the holes to make them 30mm for the sanwa. In my case I just broke out the dremel and sanded quick.

As mentioned earlier the Sanwa JLF diagram shows the wiring (http://media.photobucket.com/image/sanwa%20guide%20shoryuken/rtdzign/Misc/JoystickWiringGuide.jpg). I used the 3rd one and faced the pinout toward the back of the box. For reference you can always take a photo of the existing wiring on the old joystick before you replace with the new. My existing iCade joystick had colored wires instead of all white. So having a pic to reference helped for matching up sanwa harness to the icade wires.

2. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks Nudgenudge and Lions for helping me wrap my head around the PCB stick vs non PCB stick. it seems either one will work fine. I'll go with the PCB version just because the supplier I like carries that one. I'll also be popping in some 20gram microswitches (mmmmmmmmm), and an octagonal restrictor. I was going to pass on the pushbuttons, but if you fellas think they're worth it, I just may have to spring for the OBSF-30's.

not to get off topic, but do you guys own any full size cabs? I've currently got a MK1 cab with the 18-in-1 CPS2 board, and Top Skater. Though I may be getting rid of that behemoth soon.

3. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Well I love the sanwa buttons. The existing iCade ones just seem too stiff and the clicking gets a little annoying if you're playing a shooter.

Yeah, I own a New Astro City. I've got a few N-G games and a couple Capcom (cps1 & 2). Here's a random pic of my cab taken from my iphone a while back. Sry for the poor quality. I keep forgetting to take a better one. [​IMG]

4. mremulator

mremulator Active Member

Dec 23, 2011
    #24 mremulator, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    Nice... thanks for the link!

Also ordered the octagonal restrictor. Thing is, I don't really know what it's for lol! I assume it just makes the stick tighter on the diagonals?

5. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    Sanwa buttons it is! Thanks for your input! Great astro city cab by the way! I really like those

6. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Square gates are the default but some people (myself included) prefer octagonal gates cus the stick doesn't get caught up in the corners. So for example, it's easier to do a fireball in street fighter.

7. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    #27 BATTLE BORN, Jan 10, 2012
    yup, there's points in every corner/direction instead of being rounded off. I've just come to like them more since most games I played growing up used those.

EDIT: Lions is right on the money. playing street fighter with a square gate is like torture for me, but it's all preference.
    here's what they look like
    [​IMG]

8. mremulator

mremulator Active Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Thanks for replies. Anyone got any links for "decent" MAME side art? Basically, I'm crap in Photoshop & can't really find anything suitable online... so far ;/

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Can that Sanwa stick be changed to 4-way (for Pac-Man, etc)?

10. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #30 Nudgenudge, Jan 10, 2012
    As those guys. I couldn't for the life of me do a quarter-circle properly before then.

As for other cabs: nope, no space in my flat for it. That's why I'm loving my iCade more and more.
    Actually, I bought a Dremel and router bit just recently, and finally did my "trenches" in the inside. For those interested of remodeling the cab, it's MDF wood, so wear a mask.

Here is the iPad inside:
    [​IMG]

I did go without a guide, so there are a few imperfections, and it moves a little bit (only a couple of mm, so, I'm proud of my work :D ). I'll probably smooth them with wood putty, to have a perfect fit.

Next up: cutting a bezel (that's easy), a header (a bit tricker, I'll probably go with putty again for the rounded part), and if I feel adventurous, a dismantled iPod dock to do LED lights, stereo sound and charge the iPad (need to cut a hole on one of the side too).

edit for crunc:
    Actually, yes! The middle of the square gate can be rotated so that it goes true 4-way.
    The basic one from the iCade does not allow this. You can only buy the gate, but one is "offered" with the stick, so I'd plunge for the investment.

11. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    #31 BATTLE BORN, Jan 10, 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QytcbzZmXaI&feature=player_embedded

I also came across this little trick today. not sure if it'll even work with the stock icade sticks since I haven't had it long, but it may make them more responsive without having to change sticks. just thought I'd share in case it saves anyone some money/trouble. I'd probably just do the first part, up to around 2:00 in the video.

just don't hate me if it doesn't work at all lol. I've never tried it

12. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Can't really help you find MAME art, but if you want something based on traditional arcade games you can always try to make something using old flyers. http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/

You could also check around KLOV and see if anyone posted files of their replacement side art.

13. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Same here. And the printed stickers I made didn't render well (I made them bright red, and it was, well, almost pinkish).

That's why I'm waiting to finish my woodwork, and paint it black inside, red outside. Then, NeoGeo vinyl decals.

14. mremulator

mremulator Active Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Thanks m8. Yea, already aware of both sites. I've been into this since the late 90's... one of my panels is in a book called "Project Arcade". It's the stainless steel panel if you are interested BTW. :)

15. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Wait - I can just add a gate and be able to switch to 4-way without all the other modifications? Or are you saying something else?

16. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    AFAIK the Sanwa can easily be adjusted to either 4 or 8 ways. The iCade's stock stick does not offer this option. So if you want this adjustability you have to get a Sanwa :)

17. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just realized those Sanwa buttons have built in microswitches. Guess I won't be needing the extras after all. Also, were you guys able to use your existing icade balltop with your sanwa sticks? thanks

18. Lions

Lions Well-Known Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Designer
    DC
    Yep. The iCade balltop matches exactly a Sanwa one I already had. So no reason to buy one :)

19. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    Jeez, I just ordered the Sanwa stick and 8 Sanwa 30-buttons :D:eek: Let's see if I can improve the quality of my iCade or if I ruin it altogether. :p

20. BATTLE BORN

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    haha just pulled the trigger on my order also. can't wait for my icade to play as silky smooth as my TE fight stick!