Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-10-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRockGames View Post
I was listening to a recent TA podcast and I remember that you spent a lot of time talking about PIKPOK's Flick Football Legend, it was obviously a paid endorsement but not openly declared. http://toucharcade.com/2013/11/22/the-toucharcade-show-131-a-virtual-pet-cage-match/

It was stilted, forced and managed. And really deteriorated that show. I remember Mike Mead even commenting on it. "Are you guys done with your infomercial for flick kick football!!" Listen to minute 37:50!!! on that podcast.

Usually you guys talk about games you like or have no problems talking about enthusiastically.

I am all for paying the bills with advertisements but just be open about it being an endorsement. Like when you say a show is sponsored by someone. Don't slip it into the main content of the show if it doesn't fit.

I think it is hard to chastise people for cloning a game or using bot farms when taking part in under the table endorsements.
Well I had a listen to the podcast and I did not get the impression that it was at all payed for. In fact they spent most of the time talking about free to play. Maybe your a bit biased as your also doing a soccer game?
Old 02-10-2014, 02:43 PM
TouchArcade Janitor
iPhone (Original), iOS 1.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCubes View Post
Well I had a listen to the podcast and I did not get the impression that it was at all payed for. In fact they spent most of the time talking about free to play. Maybe your a bit biased as your also doing a soccer game?
Is it seriously so unbelievable that we just enjoyed the game? I really don't understand this ultra-conspiratorial stance everyone takes with absolutely everything. I'm not sure if it's jealousy that their games or the things they like aren't getting similar attention or what. It's just like Flappy Bird, everyone insisted surely there must be SOME reason why it's rocketing up the charts instead of just reaching the simple conclusion that people were enjoying it.

Similarly, I think Flick Kick Legends is a really cool game. That's sort of where my thought process ended on it. Reading between the lines any further than that isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCubes View Post
That is true. I do seek out other soccer game reviews and scrutinise them more. I think Flick Legends is one of the best mobile soccer games out there. But Mike mead, one of the 3 main podcast hosts, did also mention it.

Last edited by SuperRockGames; 02-10-2014 at 04:05 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 04:06 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli View Post
.... I'm not sure if it's jealousy that their games or the things they like aren't getting similar attention or what. ...
Sorry, I didn't mean to say anything wrong. And yes, I have also made a soccer game. I don't think anything I make/made would ever match anything PikPok makes. It was just something that came across in that pod-cast episode and something that a co-host( mike mead ) touched on. Sorry again if I implied anything improper.

I do feel though that you get what you pay for. That if you have money then there are ways you can pay for various product placement, whether it be in traditional or non-traditional ways. Incidentally, are there laws( maybe code of ethics ) that govern declaration of vested interest in the traditional advertisement industry? I think YouTube video game commentators are such a new thing that maybe there are no code of ethics that govern them. Maybe nothing does go on behind the scenes, maybe something does but how can it be harmful to question if it is a level playing field?

Notice also that my focus is not on the Flappy Bird creator but on the new forms of game media.