Back to the '80s

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by alectwin, Mar 17, 2010.

1. alectwin

alectwin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm really curious to know what's the hardware limit of Iphone 3Gs/Ipod Touch 3G about graphics.

Most of the games in the App Store looks like games from the '80s and only few of the other seems products that comes from the mid-90's...so i want to know if there is a range in which developers can improve graphics or not, because i think that Iphone 3gs/Iphone 3G has better hardware thant a GameBoy Advance but the results it's the same.

I know that a lot of people said that Iphone it is a phone mainly and Ipod Touch it is a Mp3 player, but Apple are pushing Ipod Touch as a game platform so I wonder it.

Thanks in advance for the attention and sorry for my bad english.

~ Alec

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Go play Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies, Brothers in Arms 2, Doom Resurrection, and Street Fighter IV. That should answer your question.

3. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    The '80s!? Have you ever actually played a game from the '80s?

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Monochrome :D

5. alectwin

alectwin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes I did, I had a Comodore Vic-20 when I was 3...

...I said '80s as a provocation...most of the games' graphic it is similar to 90's-mid 90's style...but usually who cares about '90s?!? :p

/Discuss

[​IMG]

6. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    The 90's had the best games! It went from the NES to the SNES to the N64... and all systems had some of the best games of all time! I don't see how you can just not care about the 90's.

7. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Some iPod games look even better than PSP ones and DS ones.

Note: I said some.

Street Fighter IV, for example, is something I'd expect to see on the DS, but it's on the iPhone and iPod Touch and it looks pretty damn good.

Another example is Assassins Creed II: Discovery. Ubisoft themselves admit that the iPhone and iPod Touch version is better and has more than the DS version.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The Game Boy Advanced was originally released in 2001. Here's what a game from the mid-eighties looks like:

9. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    And to add to that, GTA: Chinatown Wars looks WAY better than its DS counterpart and has the same graphics as it did on the PSP. Same thing with Assassin's Creed 1. It had graphics equal to that of the DS, but had some updates like voice acting, albeit pretty crappy voice acting.

10. alectwin

alectwin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Oooh...I don't want to offend '90s...generally '80s has a better consideration because of music, movies and other kind of things...i'm 27 so I perfectly know what means play in the '90s (very great time!!!)

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You lost all credibility, pal.

12. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    You don't have much credibility now that your point has been invalidated. I thought this thread was about the discussion of the OP? It seems like we've just proven to you that the iPhone and iPod Touch are both good gaming devices.

13. alectwin

alectwin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Ok make a 3D good looking game it is an hard thing to do, there are only few software house that comes out with good products (Gameloft, Ea, Ubisoft and other 2 or 3)...the rest try to do 3D games but the results are old looking 90's graphic...

So I wonder why developers instead of trying to do low quality 3D games don't thinks about solid 2D, like vectorial graphics? There are tons of games with great polished 2D graphics in pc/mac universe why it is so difficult to find it in the app store?

I speak about things like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it is enough things like:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. alectwin

alectwin Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Why do i have lost my credibility? Because i had entitled this thread "Back to the '80s" to reach more attention than "Back to the 90's"?

Oh, I don't think it was this the point of the question...the point of the question is, why developers prefers to do games with retro looking style? It is too difficult script a 3D engine with good graphic or it is limitation of the hardware, this point it is cleared, so, the discuss have to move in another direction...so...

"why developers prefers to do games with retro looking style?"

15. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    This thread.

[​IMG]

16. Kunning

Aug 30, 2009
    This is the iPhone and iPod Touch VS. PSP comparision.

For the iPhone and iPod Touch Side: I present you Revolt - an indie game developed, drawn, and coded by only a total of three people.

17. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #17 Twiddle, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
    Mid 80's?

NES was produced in the mid 80's, and I wouldn't say most iPhone games are 8-bit.

I would say the iPod Touch 3g can handle games up to the Playstation and maybe Playstation 2, which is pretty impressive considering the size of the device.

Brothers In Arms 2 is a good example of the current iPod Touchs limits.

I would say the Playstation 1 is a good console of comparison, and it was published in 1994 (mid 90's).

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Here are the minimum requirements to play Grand Chase (the game shown in the image above):

Pentium IV 1.5 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    2.4 GB HDD
    GeForce 6000 or better/ DirectX 9.0c

Are you seriously asking why the iPhone can't run a game like that?

If you can't find 2D games that look better than the two examples you showed below, you ain't looking hard, my friend. Just on my springboard I can count at least 25 2D titles that qualify.

19. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    The answer is fairly simple, and for the most part it has nothing to do with system limitations.

Most iPod Touch games are produced by a few people with a very little budget. To save money and time, developers use simple graphics. That way, they don't have to pay a freelancer artist to create great art.

Creating games with retro graphics in mind is easy to do. Only big companies like Gameloft and Ubisoft have the people and the money to produce great graphical games and apps.

20. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    The fact that you think the 80's were the best time for music makes it impossible to take you seriously.