Expectations vs. Reality

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Big Ideas, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Big Ideas

Big Ideas Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    MD of Instant Games. Designer of Instant Hero.
    London
    Developers, before you released your first app (mainly iPhone, but other platforms might be interesting too), what were your sales predictions like? Were they realistic? How close did you get to hitting them?

Just interested in other experiences, because we've found it really hard to predict with our apps. Our British Military Fitness app for example hit the number 1 spot in 17 countries, but our actual sales were still less than expected. Anyone got any useful tips on how to better predict success or failure in the market?

2. Rasterman

Rasterman Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    Game Monger
    Tampa, FL
    Unless you have your own marketing source (lots of other games and rep to back it up) I think its nearly impossible to predict sales. There are so many variables. Getting posted on one popular site can boost sales big time, or getting a bad review can drag them down, none of these things are in your control. For my first iphone game I had no idea what to expect.

3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

According to my extensive research, the only way to have a predictable hit that meets or exceeds your sales expectations on the app store would be to publish "Farting Zombie Doodle Boobs" :p

Even with a small army of statisticians and PR/Marketing people any estimate of sales volume is going to be a guess, plain and simple. I suggest keeping your expectations low (in the zero to 10 sales a day range) and consider anything above that to be a runaway success. :D

Oh, Steve Jobs is up now! Off to watch the keynote feeds! ;)

4. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Then my new app "Farting Zombie Doodle TOWER Boobs" should do really well.

5. Big Ideas

Big Ideas Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    MD of Instant Games. Designer of Instant Hero.
    London
    I guess I'm more interested in what the disparity was between predictions and actual results, than in trying to predict sales, which, as we all know, is a bit of a crapshoot.

6. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Dang!
    This means I was only a "Zombie Doodle" away from success! :(

7. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Everyone expects the world on a release - unfortunately it rarely happens. Be happy that you're getting decent sales in 17 countries. It's not so much the climbing the charts as maintaining the position you get.

8. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Right... the big thing is where are you going to level off? If our numbers are anything to go by, it looks like we may be leveling off at about 10% of what we hit during our release spike. Thats assuming we really are leveling off and aren't going to dip any further :eek:

The other sad, but true thing I think is that if you're not getting thread views or any Youtube views or any publicity before you release, you probably shouldn't expect to sell much unless you happen to get featured by Apple. Even something simple like a thread... if no one is willing to click on the thread and comment, you probably shouldn't expect anyone to click on your app and buy it either.