The Other Brothers - Public Beta Demo

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ThomasP, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    #1 ThomasP, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

Hello friends of TOB and lovers of Pixel-Art!

As you may know we released a closed beta demo of TOB a little while ago. It was received with great joy and people from all over the world had a blast. Now you can take the beta for a spin yourself if you haven't been able to before! Please download the TOB Beta Demo from here:

LINK: http://www.tobgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=23

A game controller (PS3 or xBOX) can be used to play the demo. The game can be played on Win and Mac computers. Enjoy and let us know what you think!

The TOB Team!

2. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    You can of course also use the keyboard (A,S,D,W, Space and Shift) to play the game in case anyone was wondering :)

Thomas P.

3. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    We would love to hear what you think :)

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Does anything else need to be downloaded or is it download and play?

5. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Just download and play. It's that easy :)

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I'll see if I can download it on my ol' ubuntu with wine.

7. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Good luck with that! :)

8. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
  9. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I'm downloading this Monday. I knew it was gonna be good but WOW...I love retro games

10. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    i downloaded this the moment the post show up and forget to try it, will post impresions later

ThomasP this is coming to ios to correct?

11. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA

Yes this is coming to iOS and Mac/Win (amongst others).

12. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
  13. dwx882

dwx882 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    #13 dwx882, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    I played through the demo and want more! How soon before this comes out for iOS??? I really want to play it with better controls. I switched the keyboard controls to arrows, space and C because it was easier for me, though still not as good as movement controls on the left and buttons on the right. I'm really digging the graphics and even some of the subtle (and not so subtle) references to a certain plumber and some of the games he's been in (red slanted platforms, fireballs, jumping on enemies. Sometimes the enemies can be a bit tricky to take care of, like when you have enemies running at you and the big guy smashing 'waves' towards you, but overall I'm really digging it. Plus with the many different paths it encourages exploration, which I like. One suggestion for the release would be maybe a casual mode with no timer where players could explore the levels with no pressure. Also, is there a health meter and what does scaring birds do besides rack up the counter?

All in all this will be a very solid platformer if the controls are done correctly on the full release and I'm excited for this. Thanks for the chance to sample the gameplay!

14. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Hey there Dwx882! Thanks for playing the beta. Glad to hear that you liked it! This level (and others) are designed for the players to explore. A few testers didn't quiet understand that right away but most did so I am glad you liked that aspect as well.

Controlls are currently still being tweaked to feel even "tighter". Enemies can be tricky indeed but that is also by design. Getting punched in the face by that Cigar smoking Mafia guy is something that may happen a lot to you ;)

The Pigeons are actually a sort of "health" bar. Collect them to boost score and health and make sure to not be without Pigeons as you will then die when making contact with an enemy. If an enemy gets you you loose your Pigeons so quickly try to re-collect them as they fly away to boost back your health.

Oilcans are purely for bonus. The higher your score in the end the higher your rating will be. Simple as that :)

We will have a tutorial later once the game goes live so people fully understand the mechanics.

Thomas P.

15. dwx882

dwx882 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Ah okay, so the pigeons are kind of like the rings in Sonic the Hedgehog. I didn't understand that aspect of it but I'm sure with a tutorial it'll be explained.

I still think a casual mode with no time limit or longer time would be necessary if players are encouraged to explore the "side paths" scattered throughout the levels. I tried exploring more and grabbing as many cans as possible and was running out of time quickly.

If I can offer some ideas: what about differentiating the power-ups so you can tell what it is before you grab it, or is this done deliberately (so far 1-up, wrench and bullet time have all been the same icon)? Also, what about making the wrench power-up kind of like the fire flower, where you keep it until you are hit by an enemy? And lastly, maybe a special kind of bird that offers 15-20 seconds of invincibility. These are just some thoughts.

Is there any ETA (or at least a goal) for the completion of the game? I know it's been in development for a while now but haven't seen anything about release date yet?

Sorry for rambling on, I'm just excited about this and had to go back and play it again.

16. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Hey again dwx882,

Thanks for your thoughts/input. We currently don't have an ETA. We're working on the game but I can't really give a release date yet. Roughly, sometime in the first quarter of 2013 (end of it).

Thomas P.

17. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    Well i manage to find time to played i'm i think if safe to say here that we now a alternative to the "other brothers" on ios if the controls are responsive in this version like the ones of Mikey shorts

During the first screen or tutorial screen i think it should be added the info about the pigeons at first i was not sure about what the did when you collect them but they kinda work like the rings in sonic, also for the windows version the throw object should be another key instead of "shift key" because if you pressed to much windows shows some alert message i know you can change from the settings but still

The maps are big and you have room for exploration that makes this much better and the pixel art is just perfect.

The only thing i dont like it much was that when you are going up in a ladder there is no sound effect for that, for the attack of the muscles guys there should be a sound too when they smash the grounds, the machines inside the factory should have a sound aswell and these machines that are smashing the ground should be able to damage the bad guys as well and not only our character

Anyway my biggest issue is with the sounds i mentioned but since this is still at beta they may come in the future

18. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Hey there Ausar,

Glad to hear that you liked the game and the "exploration" aspect of it. Sounds are still being tweaked and so are controls and other aspects of the game. Thanks for your feedback and for playing!

Thomas P.