Universal Mini Motor Racing (By The Binary Mill)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by D3adly, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    RC Pro-am had awesome physics. Nobody's talking about "realistic." In RC Pro-am you could drift around bends and do lots of other cool stuff and it all felt uniform and consistent with the game's design logic. Certainly in looks I can see where you draw the comparison but it shatters for mine as soon as I see these cars in motion.

2. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

I disagree, but at this point, I only have Sanuku's video to go by. RC Pro-am (if I remember correctly...and let's face it I don't really want to go back and play the original) had cars that seemed to react like the cars in Sanuku's video. They pivoted on their front axis. And, they did drift in RC Pro-am, but I can see that there's drift in Sanuku's video for Mini Motor Racing. Maybe not Drift like you would see in games like DIRT, but still, for an arcade-y game like this, it seemed like the appropriate amount of control.

We also have to realize that Sanuku is not a pro. He probably has only played for a few minutes, so he's not always fully in control. When I was a kid, I spent literally days playing RC Pro-am. If I had the same amount of time to get accustomed to the controls in Mini Motor Racing, I'm sure I'd have the ability to do some of the cool stuff that we all remember from RC Pro-am.

I'm still hopeful that this is the RC Pro-am racer that I've wanted on iOS. Based on the looks and video, it's the closest thing we've seen yet.

3. UncleLimey

UncleLimey Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks dude

4. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Cars move a lot faster than I expected. Sanuku's gameplay vid makes racing seem awkward- drifting around corners seems less than graceful and as a result, boosting seems to hinder rather than help as you always crash into walls after a boost instead of smoothly wheeling around the bend. I hadn't realized he was using left/right controls, so maybe that had something to do with it.

5. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I don't know looks pretty solid to me. I think they went for like a 'Cars' type of toy car physics and not the tight controlling Death Rally has.

6. spleen

spleen Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Australia
    Just grabbed the HD version. To those who are worried about the handling and drifting - the tank style controls used in the video posted earlier in this thread are *hard*, but there are several other options. The slider and Death Rally style steering wheel are spot on for control. (Nitro is still weird to use)

Only a few races in but loving it so far.

7. LookingForGames

LookingForGames Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Appstore
    I will definitley get this when it's out here:D

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Assuming all of the corners are supposed to be drifted, it makes sense to pivot around the front of the car... since that's how a basic drift works, hence "throwing the back out". I suppose it's more of a Scandinavian flick than anything resembling a long, held drift, but considering these cars are supposed to be "mini" it fits the style. You'd need a far more intensive physics engine to properly simulate weight distrubution up and down the car in order to change the animation for different types of drift.

It's also worth noting that the game doesn't seem to be specifically focused on drifting, it's far closer to a rally... in which case you really don't want to be holding drifts for longer than necessary since the whole idea is to maintain as much grip as possible to avoid slowing down. Drifting isn't fast, just fun.

9. Cowboyman381

Cowboyman381 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Southern US
    Been looking forward to this one !

As they say....INSTABUY :)

10. shirka

shirka Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Ditto! :)

11. TheBinaryMill

TheBinaryMill Well-Known Member

Official Launch trailer

Hi guys!

Great to see some people getting their hands on Mini Motor Racing already :)

We've also just released the official MMR launch trailer. Enjoy!

12. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Is there any IAP in this game?

13. TheBinaryMill

TheBinaryMill Well-Known Member

There are sponsorship IAPs available, but they are 100% optional. Everything in the game can be obtained / unlocked without ever needing to spend an extra cent :)

14. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    really really hate non universal !
    would pay the HD 3.99 if it also worked on my phone, but have reached a stage that i refuse to buy any game twice !
    ...can understand the iphone version, but ffs make the hd version also playable on an iphone

Edit ...ps will not buy this, although interested

15. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    #35 oooooomonkey, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
    Nvm. Bought and downloading now. :)

16. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Getting this tonight solely because there's multiplayer over GC.

17. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Are you sure? I checked specifically and that's not what it says in the game description.

In any case, I picked up the iPad version mainly because curiosity got the better of me in the end and with the possible exception of the 10tons game there's no other release that remotely interests me tonight so far.

18. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Oh goodness, please don't tell me that's local wifi.

19. MelonMasher

MelonMasher Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Petroleum Logistics Scheduler
    Texas
    batman and this = take my money already

20. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    I find that to normally be the case unless specifically specified. Particularly when they actually mention Gamecenter but with relation to leaderboards/achievements only.