How to get started?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Viper92107, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Viper92107

Viper92107 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    So, I wanna code....where do I start? What do I download....what do I learn?

2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    It depends.
    If you have zero programming knowledge, you should probably try to attend some courses rather than trying to start by yourself. Self-study works better if you already have some knowledge on the topic.

3. Prads

Prads Active Member

Nov 13, 2009
    This must be one of the most difficult question to answer. You sound like a complete beginner so I suggest you to choose a language first. It really depends upon your need, like if you want to make a iphone game then Objective C, for windows based programming VB, for cross platform Java can be useful, for system level or windows programming C++ can be useful. I would suggest C/C++ because if you get the basics of C/C++, then learning other language for you would be easy. Try this site:
    www.cplusplus.com

Don't think programming is something you will learn overnight. It's not that easy, but it's not that hard either.

4. Dizturbing Appz

Dec 28, 2009
    Dev
    Honduras
    WellÂ…

what i did was read books!

I first read C For Dummies(C is a computer language) and its really easy to understand!

But since u wanna do iphone development well thats gonna take time
    cuz im still learning!

If u wanna publish apps u need a MAC intel-based cuz thats where ur going to develop

learn objective-c cuz thats the language

so i guess Objective-c for dummies is the best book to go!

But its better if u learn a language beforehand so u could the basics of programming

ps. Srry if u dnt understand cuz im in a hurry

5. mpcovcd

mpcovcd Member

Feb 8, 2010
    There are many ways you can get started in programming, but one resource I found the best was one of the free online stanford university programming courses. They're free, and they're extensive, just search for them on google, they are a great resource to anyone starting out.

6. Viper92107

Viper92107 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Thankyou. What do I need to get to be abble to publish apps. And what prgram do I use to code?

7. mpcovcd

mpcovcd Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Your going to need to apply for a developer licence with apple I think theyre still $100 - I'm not 100% pos though they might have changed it. Its a 1 year licence.

8. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    hey. im 16 years old and i recently got into developing. like REALLY recently. i have a tutor that comes weekly, but it might be a tad expensive. he is coming today if fact. i started with some books but they were no help for me. really, you need a background on computer knowledge before you can jump right into it. im still an utter beginner, but im always reading about programming stuff and soaking in as much as possible.

9. Prads

Prads Active Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I really think you shouldn't apply for developer licence yet. Try to learn programming first and after you are sure you can accomplish what you want and build a really good game, then make your decision. Don't hurry.

10. mehware

mehware Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2008
    What kind of apps do you want to make?

If I were you I would check out the free mac/windows version of Unity or if you have a mac, the 30 day iPhone trial.

Its much easier to dive in that way instead of trying to learn OpenGL if your doing 3D for the iPhone.

Their support and documentation is great as well as the community. A lot of successful games have been made with that engine that are on the AppStore. You can program in c# or javascript too.

http://www.unity3d.com

- Matt
    mehware