Guncrafter (By Naquatic) - Build guns from scratch, then use them!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Naquatic, May 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Naquatic

Naquatic Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2009
    #1 Naquatic, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013
    Hey TA!

I haven't posted our last couple launches (time is tight when you're a two-man team maintaining 25 apps!) but we think you guys might particularly enjoy this one. Hits the App Store on 5/16, for free!

Guncrafter! Build your own gun piece by piece out of blocks -- any way you want it -- then compete in an online multiplayer shooting competition built on our famous Shooting Showdown engine!

There's some crazy multiplayer tech behind this one. Long story short, our matchmaking will place you in a ZERO lag match against a similarly skilled opponent every time...in under 8 seconds. We're also bringing some international love with full support for Spanish, French, Chinese :).

As you know I normally converse with you guys nonstop, but my brother and I are wrapping up a whole series of new apps. It's utter madness, and all-nighters abound. I'll still pop in when I can!

Depending on how soon before launch Apple approves us, I might be able to distribute promo codes too. So keep your eyes peeled!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Looks cool. Another interesting take on the Minecraft genre
    So only multiplayer, not single player at all?

3. Naquatic

Apr 13, 2009
    #3 Naquatic, May 6, 2013
    Thanks Bronxsta! Single player too. Plus, the gun building itself is so much fun it might as well be its own single player game :).

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Each material gives diffrent stats?

5. Naquatic

Apr 13, 2009
    Wow, you nailed it. I went back to look at the post to find what info I had given to help you figure that out... nothing. Impressed.

6. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    Looks great! Instadownload when it hits!

7. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Kinda figured it out meself.
    Seemed right.

8. Naquatic

Apr 13, 2009
    That means a lot!

Welp, you might consider a career in game design :)

9. KevinS

KevinS Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Same here, I can't wait to try it! :)

10. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Looks pretty cool. I hope you guys have improved the gun sounds and realism from Shooting Showdown - I felt that they could have used some work... although I haven't played in a while, so perhaps you already did :p

11. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#11 Bronxsta, May 6, 2013
    Cool, sounds good. A few more questions:

- So is this going to be a freemium model? Or will IAP only be for getting things early or special items?

- Exactly how much are you focusing on the single player aspect? Will it just be multiplayer maps with bots (AI enemies in place of human players) or dedicated campaign levels? I'm perfectly fine with bots, just curious (I'm not much of a multiplayer person, so I'd be getting this solely for offline play)

- Since this environments are block-based, are they destructible? And can you build your own arenas?

- Finally, can you estimate how much space the game will take up and will this run on iPhone 4?

12. Naquatic

Apr 13, 2009
    #12 Naquatic, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
    Why thank you! My background is actually in audio engineering and we actually put a lot into those sound effects. We don't do the crazy, overhyped, reverberant gun sounds that some other apps do, our mix target leans more heavily towards headphones and high-end audio, not the device's built-in speakers. So those are probably the distinctions you're hearing. We even have a giant library of bullet impact sounds for different materials; I would actually argue that, while more subtle than some other shooting apps, the fx are on par with a lot of console shooters in terms of mix and nature.

- The term freemium changes so often I don't even know what it means anymore. Our IAP just gets you things early, the only exception being an extra gun barrel for the high end purchase. All of our games are meant to be fully enjoyed by paying and non-paying players alike. We don't IAP-lock features, and we certainly don't do pay-to-play. Does that make us non-freemium?

- The gameplay is a stationary shooting range format, in the style of Shooting Showdown. Single player combat is more like a practice mode. 99% of our users only play multiplayer, so we only ever included single player in our games for players who occasionally wanted to avoid wait times and lag, which is nonexistent with this new system. Honestly, when you play a Quick Match you might as well be playing against a well-programmed single player AI since we match based on skill. It's effectively identical to a single player experience. But honestly, if we get a number of single player AI mode requests, it's easy for us to add that right in. Just hasn't been on our radar, given our userbase. Edit: You guys win. 1p in the first update, likely pre-launch

- Each map is a different block-target configuration set in the shooting range environment. Custom maps would be absolutely incredible, and we expect that to be the most requested feature. Working on it in early stages as we speak. Whether or not I can get it to a production stage is a whole other question :). The range walls are not destructible, but absolutely everything else is. Here's a pic to illustrate (the gameplay screenshot from my original post is of the Castle level):
    [​IMG]

- 40mb space required. iPhone 4 is our performance target, so you can bet it'll run!

13. Naquatic

Apr 13, 2009
    Thank you Kevin! You guys are all on my promo code list if it hits in time.

14. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Game looks awesome I can't wait! I think alot of people would like a single player mode so They can play on the road on an iPod touch . Some people don't like to east Internet as well so they can play single player mode instead. Also custom maps would be awesome. Something like block fortress where you edit the map then play on it.

15. Naquatic

Apr 13, 2009
    #15 Naquatic, May 6, 2013
    Deal. I'll add single player in the first update, which we are submitting immediately after initial approval from Apple. Might even be available at launch :)

16. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    That'd be nice.

17. juls363

juls363 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Guys it's out !!!

18. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Love this game, please add more barrels to put on the gun to make it longer, add new things to the gun allow us to zoom? Also a different map to make the zoom work for the game. Like shooting moving zombies or animals in the background.

Would also be cool to have a score system, like wins and loses. Don't count for practice.
    Maybe add a 2v2 mode where you and a buddy has to rack as much points as possible. Maybe a tournement too, the top 100 people on your server leaderboard get a special item every week and it resets so we can try to get the top 100 again.