The September 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Bastion

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Aug 31, 2017.

1. W8rd3

W8rd3 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2017
    Human paper weight
    In a human dwelling
    Hey thanks for the welcome :D
    I was playing for a bit with the touch controls but found it too imprecise and confusing as the fights got more intense, so I switched to classic and can say I'm not going back..I'd love to pick up a controller sometime soon, I just have to do a little research on it first...
    ..anywho I myself find myself using the Machete and Pistols, but I can see that as the game progresses you'll be given weapon options that seem to be more effective choices.

Also I got the pipe thing for the Bastion, did a few survival rounds with it to catch up on my weapon upgrades, and just finished the Brickfort. how is everyone else faring?

2. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I'm the aberration. I like the touch controls. It makes it a more strategic ARPG for me, like Battleheart Legacy. Touch makes me think more carefully and less reflexively.

Because of that I tend to use the weapons that can exploit range or angles.

3. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Kid made a lot of progress today. Picked up all the Shards but one. He's got to head off to the Terminals, but he's probably going to take a nap on his bedroll first to make sure he can carry a sixth tonic with him on the long trip.

Bullhead Court met its match today. Kid finally realized he didn't have to counter every attack so long as he wasn't taking the hits. Danced with his foes like a bullfighter and watched them take each other out. He's mastered all the weapons except that pesky cannon. Playing defense with heavy artillery ain't his style.

Best thing that ever happened to Kid was working on the Pike in the Forge. That Pike of his can punch through the thickest skins he'll come across. No more waitin' for Stinkeyes to open up, he can poke 'em straight through their lids.

4. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Have started! I love the voice! I also find the controls fine :)

5. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    Ayo! Falcon815
    You are seriously making this thread funnerific! Are you sure you are not the Narrator?

6. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Thanks. I just thought it would be a fun way to write how my replay is going. The narrator and the music are what motivated me to give the game a revisit. On replay, I'm not finding the gameplay super compelling, though admittedly I'm not using many of the Shrine idols this time. (In my first playthrough, I was GameCenter achievement hunting and running around with 5+ idols on at pretty much all times. That made the game far more challenging and interesting, but I'm just here for the story and music this time around.)

I think I'll be filing this one under "felt great the first time, but maybe better in my memory than it actually was". But for the price in money and time, it's definitely worth both. I'm always up for a nice brief game.

The only achievement I've never managed to get is "complete a trip to Who Knows Where with all 10 idols activated". Even with my favorite Distillery product (restore all HP with every healing potion), I haven't quite been able to do it.

7. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Played some more today. Went to a new place. Shot some dolls. Went to another place. Had a tough battle. Beat it. Died.. Breathe and try agai tomorrow :p

8. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    #28 falcon815, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Kid took a trip to the Terminals today. Took along his favorite Pike and trusty cannon. Kid wasn't feeling too pious and ignored the blessings of the gods. Or are they curses? Guess it depends on how you look at it. One thing's for sure; pious or not, the gods ain't gonna catch you when you fall.

The Terminals weren't much of a problem for the Kid. He cut a swath through everything that dared to cross his path. But then he was presented with two choices. Did he make the right ones? I don't know. But he made the right choice both times.

[Game over. Since I'd already played twice before, I elected to just end the game and listen to the ending song that I've had stuck in my head for a while, rather than immediately jump into a new game plus. Finished the game just barely into level 6, with most of my upgrading invested into the Brusher's Pike with a side of Fang Repeater and, late in the game, the Cannon. For those who don't catch the relatively obvious from the Shrine and the Distillery, the max level in this game is 10.

I did one trip to Who Knows Where using each of the pipe, bedroll, and cook pot. It's nice backstory even if the rewards aren't actually that great.

Finished all but three of the Memorials - the Shield, the Pike, and the Hammer. I've never been particularly good with the Hammer, I tend to get rid of it early.]

[Edited to add: uploading screenshots from the iPad is being a pain, I'll throw my completion image on Twitter for now until I figure out what the issue is.]

9. pluizje

pluizje Member

Jun 3, 2017
    This is my second play through of bastion and I'm in love al over again. The post apocalyptic vibe with hints of a huge lore behind things and the language almost like the gun slinger series are such a huge draw for me.
    And to top things of there is the narrator....I think his voice really turns this game from mediocre to a great action rpg. It's a nice change of pace from the last couple of months I hope I have the time to finish it this time around :)

10. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Still working through Transistor as I get a chance. Gonna join you all soon. About to face the Spine of the World.

11. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Just finished up at level 6. After trying twice before, I'm glad I stuck it out to the end this time. The gameplay wasn't spectacular and it was a bit easy. That's what put me off before. However, the narrator, the story, and especially the music is what makes the game special. This is the first time I've downloaded the soundtrack to a game.

As far as the ending,
    I chose to save Zulf and evacuate instead of restore. I figured the calamity would still happen if I rewound time so why not just carry on. I'm curious to see what everyone else chooses and how the ending differs.

12. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    For the record that’s what I did too. I’ve read your first choice is by far and away the most common.

I find what people decide on the second choice the most interesting.

Finished Transistor for the first time so I’ll be joining you all starting tomorrow. Glad I stuck to that game. Definitely enjoyed it more as the game went on and the ending had me tear up even knowing what I knew going in.

13. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    The kid wakes up. This all seems familiar somehow, like an old game he used to play. But game's over now. Calamity came and put an end to all that. Kid moves forward by practice, heading for the Bastion. Kid finds an armory along the way, stocked a little too well. Kid thinks it through and grabs a pair of slinger pistols, good friends in a tight spot. Kid throws a Brusher's pike over his shoulder. Sharp stick is as good a way as any to keep folks off your back.

Kid makes it to the Bastion to find a man named Rucks. The man tells him that this can all still be saved. It doesn't have to play out that same way again. Kid finds those cores this'll all turn out alright.

14. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Kid burns through bullets searching for survivors and cores. Cores come faster than survivors. Seven cores down and the Bastion only houses a few. Kid missed a terrible fight. The Bastion got wrecked, but the shards will fix things up. This can all still be saved if the Kid wants.

15. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Kid finishes fixing the Bastion, but the truth hits harder than a hammer and stabs deeper than a pike. But the kid pushes on. Finding Zulf again puts it in perspective and the kid lays down his weapons for an old friend gone wrong. Getting back to the Bastion was tough, but the Kid and Zulf make it.

We’ve asked a lot of the kid, and in the end he decides this life here is the one he wants. Can’t say I blame him. Kid powers up the Bastion and our little family leaves. Maybe it’s for the best. Turns out at the end of the world maybe the Kid finally found his home. Maybe we all did.

16. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    I need to play some more today. Life happened last couple of weeks. I want to beat it this month ^^

17. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    So .. Played more.. It said last core, but now I need to get some shards too. As I have grown up it takes more to get me interested in a game not more traditional rpg. And this one is very actiony. So even though I see why it is loved and recognise the quality, it doesn't truly grab me.

18. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Bastion’s biggest draw is the polish the game has. Art, Music, gameplay, etc. It’s not doing a lot new, and SPOILERS, that’s kinda the point once the Bastion is fully functional.

What I love about Bastion, and why it’s had a permanent spot on my phone, is that it uses that polish to address themes about loss and how we deal with that. The four main characters at their heart represent the ways people deal with loss. That’s a message that hit at a moment in life I needed it to hit, and did so without hitting me over the head with it. T was subtlety done, using that polished take to ease me into a parable around loss and what it does to us and how we choose to move forward. Good stuff.

19. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Beat it yesterday! I agree it's very polished and the narrative is very good. The conbat didn't fully agree with me, I never mastered it I feel. I think if the ggame was turnbased, I would want to explore a lot more even if it probably didn't suit it. All in all it's a very good game and a powerful ending.

20. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Have you tried Transistor (Supergiant's second game)? It has a very turn-based feel; it's laid out similarly to Bastion, and you do have to run around in real time for some of the combat. But, you have the ability to pause combat every so often to enter your next few moves, preview how much damage they'll do, and resume to watch them play out automatically. You might want to watch a gameplay video to get a better visual than what I've described.