Universal SOULCALIBUR - ( by NamcoBandai Games Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    +1 to this (and the rest of the post). To me, $12 is fine for one of the first fighting games I really enjoyed. Sure, there's the inherent issue with touchscreen controls and lack of multiplayer. I'm fine with just the single player, though, plus the nostalgic value. Like metalcasket said, if you're not a SC fan, maybe waiting for the inevitable sale might be a better choice.

2. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    The real question is, do I just keep playing this on dreamcast where I can play with another person or pay $13 to play it single player on my iPhone?

If a PR rep could come in here and simply say that they're gong to add multiplayer in an update they'd get my $13. Otherwise, I'll hold out for the inevitable sale.

3. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    The vids have reminded me how much i liked this game on the Dreamcast, but i think £5 (10 dollers) would have been my maximum stretch. Supposedly, the current price is already 20% discounted... So it'll be more expensive than the 360 version once that discount has gone... Without online multiplayer, or even local multiplayer for that matter, and the limitation of Touchscreens for fighting games in general, Namco are unrealistic with their pricing.

Once the single player is done, what are you gonna do? Practice, so you can be better at playing by yourself?

With the weekly gems we get on the appstore for as little as 69p, do you really want to put down so much for something so limited?

4. Nudgenudge

Nudgenudge Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    #164 Nudgenudge, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Actually, I asked their support; we'll see if I have a response.

My message:
    edit: actually, after checking Wikipedia, I'm pretty sure it's the XBLA/PSN version that was adapted, with "HD" graphics (textures seems to be a bit more detailed than the DC ones).
    And this one is also missing Mission Battle and online multiplayer (local is there of course).

So as price comparison goes, only local multiplayer and Team Battle are missing in the iOS version. :D

5. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    This is an instant buy for me even at 11.99.

I've played every single soul calibur (And soul blade on PS1) game except this one... since I've always owned sony platforms. ... never owned a dreamcast.

6. MJY8

MJY8 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2011
  7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #167 metalcasket, Jan 19, 2012
    Gladly. I spent $15 on this and JAZZ with a smile on my face. You know why? Because I spent that money on 2 games that do not have a single mother****ing IAP in them.

It's that whole "if we can play 12 games for $0.99 on the App Store, why should we pay $12 for this/ehhh, $2.99? I'll wait for it to drop to $0.99" notion that is turning the App Store into nothing more than a huge pit of freemium vomit and diarrhea.

I'll say it again: This is ****ing SoulCalibur in your pocket...and not some watered down version like Street Fighter and/or King of Fighters. If people would stop complaining about the $12 and just make this a success, Namco would go "Uhhh...ummm...people like our game? HEY, HERE'S AN IDEA! Let's add online multiplayer so they like it even more!"

In the end, I definitely agree that this would be a much easier purchase at something between $6.99 to $9.99, but hey...what can we do? For me...the nostalgia was worth $11.99.

Also, where are the price discussion cops? Shouldn't all these posts complaining about the price (this included) be moved? :p

EDIT: From Pocketgamer...

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cheers, mate!

9. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #169 Tower Defender, Jan 19, 2012
    So my quick review. Game is very fun and fluid. Had an initial crash when starting it up, but that was my fault for not restarting after installing. Afterwards no crash.

There is no language option which is okay, since I'm not bothered by it.

Controls are a bit wonky on the iphone. It is incredibly hard to pull a double button insert like a grab for example (A+G or B+G)... but there is a saving grace to that, where in the controls edit, you are able to add an extra button for a combination insert. I currently have it set as an A+G button. I would have liked to have more custom buttons, but you are limited to 1. Also the buttons are fully customizable in their location and can be faded in and out.

Loading is incredibly quick on the 4S.

Graphics are good for an IOS game. I've never played the dreamcast or arcade cabinet of this game, so I can't compare.

There seems to be a lot of unlocks like every other soul calibur I've played... seeing that you have to unlock the other 9 characters + there is a museum which you can fill up with unlockable goodies.

Is it worth the 11.99? Well it was worth it for me, because I haven't played this one... I don't know if there is going to be another price drop for it to be honest, since the purchase page stated that the 11.99 price tag was already 20% off. ... otherwise from the price, this is a VERY solid game. Just lacks online :(.

Just to restate, I am playing on the iphone 4s.

Edit: Okay I found a way to make grabbing a lot easier. I moved the A and B button a lot closer to the G button in controls setup. Now I can push both buttons at the same time with my thumb. ... sometimes... but it is still better then how it was before.

10. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Well we agree on one thing, IAP is largely a terrible thing, certainly in the way companies like com£us have exploited it.

My point about the 69p gems is that for me, the appstore is a unique gaming platform, very different to my xbox, where i might buy a game once every few months at most. With the appstore things are constantly getting released to draw my time and attention. I personally couldn't justify £8 on a game that'll probably be on the back burner next week.

I've spent LOTS of money on ios games/apps, and i'm happy to pay for quality apps as i want to encourage growth - the hours Super Crate Box has given me i'd have to say £5 would be a bargain.

Yes, this is Soul Calibur in your pocket, and i loved that game, but i'm not gonna get caught in the hype of an ios release. You think Namco didn't already know that people like their game? We're talking about a MASSIVE company here, who haven't even managed local multiplayer, let alone online multiplayer that we've seen indie developers put into their games. Yet you seem to think we should get behind them and hope? F**k that, you give them far too much credit.

11. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Btw - i'm sure many will enjoy the game as it is.

My point is purely that we're talking relatively high priced for a game lacking longevity in terms of that fundamental multiplayer support, be it local or online. Ultimately, most people play these types of games to vs other players.

I can't help but think Namco have slacked as they know ppl will buy the game regardless because it's "soul calibur in your f**ing pocket"

I'll reconsider if they implement the multiplay

12. tognesimo

tognesimo Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    The right price for this game is 5 bucks like gta!

13. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Agreed!

Well, I have my own personal qualms/gripes about virtual content and pricing. I'm not going to really go into that though because it's a bit of a different argument.

I, also, don't want to pay the same price or more than an XBLA game when it comes to a port. Plus, from my understanding it doesn't include Quest mode either.

Personally, I hope that Namco makes a new/original fighting game for iOS if this becomes successful. However, I doubt it will reach that mark. I typically don't get nostalgic for games I've already played but for genres, but I have bought ports for games I haven't played.

The AppStore is f'd up sideways and it's not as superficial as prices are messed up, even though I think they could be raised.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #174 metalcasket, Jan 19, 2012
    I said it earlier on; while I couldn't give a shit about multiplayer being absent in this (or any release) version of SoulCalibur, it's beyond me why they didn't add local multiplayer...something which will affect sales of this game greatly.

That being said, I certainly don't give them "far too much credit" but I give credit where credit is due...they did one mother****ing hell of a job bringing this to iOS in comparison to Capcom and SNK's attempts. I'd certainly pay $12 for an entire 3D fighting console game with retina graphics (which happens to be under 300 MBs) over those half-assed "ports" of King of Fighters and Street Fighter which look like **** now, certainly don't control any better than this AND are bigger in size. I'm sorry, but that whole "but why should I get this when SF and KoF are cheaper alternatives?" argument is invalid. Those are alternatives to the iOS version of UMK3, but as it stands the only alternative to this is that Gameloft clone of this very game/series/what the **** ever.

15. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I'm not sure how it's possible for me to agree with the points both of you have made, but that's just what I find myself doing. Perhaps that explains my complete indecision as to whether I want/need this release.

It would be nice to have this on an iDevice, yes, but I'm acutely aware of how long a game like this is likely to hold my interest without multiplayer.

I already have the 360 version.

The price is only relevant to the extent that at $5 or less I'd have an easier time convincing myself that it would be "nice to have" even though I know I don't really need it.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    See, that's the difference between you and I. I dunno, but maybe I should have elaborated earlier: I don't have the 360 version, I have a pirated Dreamcast version which I bought in Oman, **** knows how long ago...for like...$5. I've always loved that little pirated copy that I (still) have and again, I rarely play multiplayer on iOS. This was a very easy decision for me.

17. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    The SC port looks good, though keep in mind this game is over 12 years old. I'd imagine it tougher to port SF4 to ios devices being that the original was designed to run on such superior hardware. Still, i get your point, and SC will certainly be the best avail 3D brawler avail on ios.

I think i originally paid £6 when SF came out - probably more for the novelty, but it played ok, a fair bit better now, and It's currently only 69p. Even flawed, i've come back to it for the multiplayer. Toucharcade gave KOF some high praise but i must admit i've not played it myself.

Surprisingly, i think we probably agree on a lot, and i don't doubt the quality of this port, but for me it's broken without the multiplayer.

18. BrEaKBEaT

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    Yup, me too. I reckon i'd get a few hours max out of the single player modes. Which, for that price, is absolutely fine.

19. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    that is a big f lol, do you know that the sf4 volt has to change a lot of stuff, like frames, dmg etc. in order to make it balanced, because of the limited sets of moves for each char? or that they have to rewrite the ai code, which is actually great for many of the chars. because again the game is not direct port of sf4 on pc or consoles. and they also update the game, with new chars and so on for free, without any iap. so i am sure they made a lot of f work making sf4 volt for iphone.

20. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Wow this is fantastic! I'm loving it!! well worth the money no regrets.