iPhone The Room by Fireproof Games, TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 18, 2012.

1. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Humph! Now I have to go and find it damn you!

2. NathanQuest

NathanQuest Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    Argh, I know the feeling. Felt like that especially during the last chapter where the easy solution just didn't hit my eye :)

If you want to know - just tell me which three you found :)

3. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Just found it. Took me a while. Thanks, it kinda bugged me that I'd used a little trial and error to solve that puzzle.

4. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I gave up on this one...
    I am at thestart of Chapter 3 or 4... it's where you start on top of the box
    and I need to allign something...
    I was able to flip a part of that table with my eye..
    but I can't move anything??

5. Thumpermat

Thumpermat Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Have you tried
    tilting (there is a second puzzle which uses this mechanic)
    ?

6. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, I tried that left and right, up and down... nothing happens.
    it's the top part of the table, where you can see the stars at night etc..
    I flipped a plate with a hole in it, and there is a hole in the middle of that table. There are like 4 bars when I use the eyepiece, but can't' move them at all.

7. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking about Hellraiser here :D

Anyway I see quite a majority of people asking for clues and hints. Just my humble opinion, The Room is not really a difficult game. You just need to have patience and a keen eye for observation. Take your time, use the spyglass and think out of the box (no pun intended) ;)

8. NathanQuest

Mar 13, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    *** Spoilers ***

Actually the tilting should be it. There is something like a grill on the table where two stars are underneath. Tilt the device to one side (left or right) until one of the stars moves to the middle. It gets locked there, then the other way to bring the second to the middle. When both are in place, the will glow in green and a box will open where you will find a handle to put into the hole you already mentioned.

Hope this works!

9. NathanQuest

Mar 13, 2009
    Cologne, Germany
    That would be something - to be able to play with that box in safety :D

Feeling the same way here: For what it's worth, the hints were not always helpful, but the game itself can really be solved just by calm observation. No trial and error. I really hope there will be more to come!

10. Omun

Omun Active Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Game Designer
    United Kingdom
    Just finished this today and I thought it was a fantastic experience. The polish and attention to detail was just stunning.

That being said, I did get stuck on a few occasions and the tips are usually very vague.

This game was worth every penny and turned out to be one of the most enjoyable experiences I've ever had on an iOS device, the integrated mechanics and control systems were just so well thought through and the amount of bespoke effort required to make it work as well as it does deserves nothing but applause.

Terrific game.

11. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Thanks NathanQuest.. I will try it when I get home.
    I hope there will be a 2nd room version with even more puzzles..
    This game is awesome.

12. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    ok... Finished the game... This was well worth the money..
    I can't wait for the next one...

13. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Member

Apr 3, 2009
    I gifted this game to my Mom because she loves these types of games (7th Guest, Myst, included). She loved it. I peeked over her shoulder and the production values look fantastic.

Any other suggestions for games of this style on the iPad? Are there any others? I saw Windowsill mentioned earlier in the thread, so I'll check that out.

14. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    Not really, this game is pretty unique. I also gifted it to my mum (after I completed it). :)

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Finished this tonight finally, easily among the best games I've played on my iPad this year.

16. GSJ1977

Jul 6, 2012
    And yet only four stars. I guess it needed more purple or something ;-p

17. erickolb

erickolb New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    This game is a neat puzzler. As others have mentioned, it's a box-inside-a-box-etc. and makes for some fun puzzling about its arcane mechanisms. Its well-presented and polished looking, but I have two problems with this game that keep it in three-star territory for me. First, it's much too easy. None of the puzzles are particularly devious, so thorough exploration and yields a path to progress pretty directly. Secondly, it's much much too short, especially for the $5 price tag. I've gotten maybe four hours of fun out of this before I reached the end. If you're on the fence about this, wait for a sequel or a price drop.

18. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    If I can't reach level 10 (that f'in level 10!!) in Bejeweled would that mean I'd at least get more then a couple hours out of this one? So many people are saying how short it is and that they wants more. But is it short short or short as in it's so good we just want moaar!! ...thing. How many boxes are there?

19. erickolb

erickolb New Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Four. I'd like more, but I feel like I paid for more already. I paid $1 for Jetpack Joyride and got dozens of hours of entertainment out of it (and now that's free). I paid $5 here and got 4-5 hours, if that.

20. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Thanks, so one box sort of contains multiple puzzles you have to solve to get to the next box then?