Hexen II iPhone Port

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Eli, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

2. BlazeX444

BlazeX444 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    niiiice! i cant wait!

3. Medeival

Medeival Active Member

Good news!!! Hexen was incredibly atmospheric game with beautiful music.

4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Awesome! I was originally hoping for a Hexen 1 port, but this is better!

5. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Awesome indeed, provided the controls work well. Wish they'd have added a mini-map, though, for us directionally challenged....

How much of an RPG element does the game have, BTW? And how is the story?

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I remember playing this... It always made the laptop that I played it on get really warm, I think. Oh, the great power of pentium 3 laptops! :eek:

7. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Like Hexen 1, it lets you select from a list of characters to play. It has levelin up for hp and mana, it has inventory, you have to go looting enemies to find items needed to advance in the game. The story is pretty minimal, it's a continuation of Hexen 1 and Heretic. You fight the remaining Serpent Riders that werent killed in the earlier games.

BTW, the developers seemed to have made this port on their own, unofficially without asking Activision. Seems more like some guy's game porting google code project. Maybe they wanted to attract Activision's attention. ;)

8. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Man, if this, Hexen, Doom II, Quake, Quake II, and Blood come out, my favorite old school FPS iPhone port collection will be complete. And I know Doom II and Quake are just a matter of time (probably Quake II as well). All we need now is someone to announce Blood. Preferably not the team that did the Duke 3d port.

9. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    What about redneck rampage, strife, witchaven, Heretic II and such?

10. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Ooh, forgot about Heretic/Heretic II. Wasn't a big fan of Redneck Rampage, Strife or Witchaven. I also forgot about Shadow Warrior.

And honestly... what are the chances of someone else doing a Duke 3d port with the music/secret levels intact and controls that actually work? If that was possible, it'd be on my wish list as well.

11. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    #11 originalcopy, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010

You forgot about ShadowCaster, Corridor 7, Legend of the Seven Paladins, Marathon, and many more too. :p

Some coder/fan of duke would have to do it. Doubt there will be another official release. I havent played duke3d on the iphone, but i heard it was a poor porting job.

12. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Heh, I was just mentioning my favorites, not trying to make a comprehensive list of old school FPSes. To be honest, I probably wouldn't play through Corridor 7 or Marathon again even if they were released for free. Never did play ShadowCaster and haven't even heard of Legend of the Seven Paladins before now. Will have to check them out. :)

Honestly, if someone just ports Blood, that will make me happy enough.

13. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    All I need from that list is Blood. And to add to that I'd really like to see Blood 2 and System Shock 2. Then my collection would be complete. I really wouldn't need the first Hexen since they're porting the second, more superior one anyway.

14. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Man.... if System Shock 2 could be ported to the iPhone with a decent control scheme that would absolutely rule. I never even thought of it because I didn't think it could really work with touch controls, but if someone figures out a way to make it work, I'd instabuy that, even for $20.00. Heck, even System Shock 1.

And even though I didn't like Blood 2 nearly as much as the first... yeah, I'd still pick that up too.

15. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    Check those games out, they're really cool. :) I would play a free-to-play or up to 1.99$ corridor 7 or marathon. :D

16. originalcopy

Sep 10, 2009
    I agree about System Shock. Both of them, if they were ported with their original engines too. That'd be awesome. Another old game I'd like to see ported would be the Thief games. There aren't many stealth based first person games for the iphone right now, are there? Thief 1 or 2 would be awesome to have, with their stealth gameplay ported over to the iphone UI.

17. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I think SS2 would work. There could be a simple button on screen that switches from battle to interact and back, and there could be a menu that goes to the pause and PDA menus. It's been a bit since I've played it, but I think it'd work fine. If not, I'd even settle for the first one as well.

And Blood 1 was a bit better. Blood 2 went for more of the action-movie shoot everything in sight game, while Blood 1 was more of a horror game. And an awesome one at that. I'd rather have Blood 1 since there's no real horror games on the iDevice other than Fallen, which was just a bit short.

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Any news?

19. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    would like to know this also

20. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    #20 Duke Floss, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    I could see SS2 being more portable than the first just for control options. The first SS had controls with a very high learning curve when using a keyboard and mouse. :p

System Shock 2 would take some tricky reworking as well.

I could easily see Strife getting a good port for the iPhone as it is based on the Doom engine. Hell I think it might even get a good take off on the app store.

As for build engine games - I have Duke3d and it is not the worst port, it is even fun once you get used to the controls and hand-cramps. However if there were a proper port done, I'd hope to see it on the app store along with other build games especially Blood and Shadow Warrior.

I would also think that the Blake Stone series would make a good port seeing how well Wolfenstein 3d turned out.

-----

On topic - when/if this port gets released in the appstore, it will be be an instant purchase for me.