Tankz... out soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by seonr, Apr 22, 2009.

1. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    #1 seonr, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    Sector3 Games is about to release it's newest iPhone/Touch game called Tankz.

Tankz is a fast paced arcade style hover tank fighting game, like an FPS, but you play as one of three tanks, against enemy towers and tanks, in one of 3 levels (more levels will come in future versions).

[​IMG]

Each level gets harder and harder, with more enemies and more open space, allowing enemies to target you easier.

You can switch from 3rd person to 1st person during the game by tapping on your tank, and you have Ammo and Rocket pickups through out each level.

The aim of the game is to collect all of the flags in the level, and you can play in either Best Score mode or Best Time mode.

You can also switch between Easy and Hard modes for those that REALLY want a challenge!

[​IMG]

Controls switch between Left Handed and Right Handed, so everyone will be comfortable playing.

It's a single finger drive control plus tilt to turn. Left right finger movement strafes, forward/back to accelerate. It's very responsive and you can spin and slide and shoot targets very easily.

Each tank you can play has varying speed and turn capabilities due to size and weight, so between the 3 levels, 2 difficulties, 2 game play modes and 3 tank types, there is plenty of variety for everyone!

[​IMG]

The final touches (excuse the pun) are going on now and I will be releasing a game play video in a few days. Stay tuned!

2. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Thanks for the update. I've been waiting to hear news on this for a little while, and the video will be helpful. How many types of enemies are in the game?

3. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    Lite Version?

Will a free lite version be available on launch?

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Looks interesting! Thank you for the news.

5. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Yeah, you know the saying... never enough hours in the day :)

At the moment, there are static enemy towers that shoot at you, and block / hinder your path. If you drive into them they do damage to you too. You can of course shoot them. They can only shoot you if you are in line of site. In levels like Dessert Arena, there is only 1 large obstacle in the level, so many towers have line of site at the sme time and navigating bullets is, well, tricky!

There are also two enemy tank types (multiple of each in each level) that, have randomised patrol areas, that if you get to close will start chasing you. Not only do they fire at you, but they also try to ram you, and do major damage if they hit you. If you get far enough away from them, they will go back to patrolling their designated area.

I have plans for more enemy types/obstacles but I am not sure if they will make version 1 or wait until a following release.

The game can currently be played fast paced, where you move and slide around quickly firing at enemies as they travel past and collect the flags, or in a slow methodological way, sniping from a distance... this is obviously a safer method, but much longer game play.

6. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

wow, looks nice, submitted i resume? hopefully its not to expensive, but looks like a $5-$6 game! (hopefully there will be updates for more tanks)>:l

7. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    No, not submitted yet... will be going in next week. Just doing final touches!

Price is undecided at the moment, but it wont be high. Affordable for everyone!

8. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I like the theme of it.
    Looks really cool!
    Any pricing details?

9. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

well, it will be out in may on my judgement, hopefully it will be a good price and u will make loads of money, best of luck to u! >:l

10. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    This is what AI Wars should have been. Looks great guys, I shall get it!

11. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Ok, I caved! This is the problem with being a developer.. never get anything finished because you are always adding new features! This is why Tankz wasn't released 2 weeks ago!

I have just added another enemy type that was going to wait for v1.1...

Enemy Proximity Mines that get shot into random locations, that you need to avoid, and can shoot. If you get too close them them, they will explode causing radius damage.. not to other enemies of course!

12. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Graphics looks great.
    I like the Green tank the most.

Might get this.
    INTRODUCTORY SALE ;P

13. nooobynick

nooobynick Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    sounds a bit like MGS lol:D, sneak around and take out enemies before they see you, might have to pick this one up at launch.

14. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    That looks really good.
    iPhone games are getting better and better... *sigh*... and running me dry. lol

15. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Sorry, the green tank (COG) is an enemy tank only :)

So, here is some more info about the game mechanics... each level has hover pads that are used for both random spawning/re spawning as well as health regeneration.

There are no health pickups in the game... so you need to work out where your closest hover pads are and hover your tank over them to get health back. Lots of fun during a fire fight!

Also, there are a few jump pads in each level too, what they do is 1 second after you move over one, it propels you up and in the same direction you were traveling to allow you to get on top of higher areas to collect flags and kill enemies! They are quite fun to jump off!

Here is another screen shot of the X10 Assault Tank in first person mode in the Valley level.

[​IMG]

16. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

Ahh affordable games are nice :p If its priced right I usually pickup games that look good to me without waiting for reviews. This game looks sweet! I would buy it for sure

17. vrass

vrass Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I am a freelance illustrator and concept artist
    Looks cool. Kinda reminds me of Cyber Sled:)

18. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Man, I used to LOVE Cyber Sled when I was at Uni... spent hundreds of dollars and many lectures playing!

19. vrass

vrass Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I am a freelance illustrator and concept artist
    Between that and virtua cop and dungeons and dragons(arcade) I went through way more money then I meant to. Still loved every minute of it!

20. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Please let us know once this is submitted. I'm looking forward to trying this out.