Angry birds, is there anything more todo in that genre?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Roachie, May 8, 2012.

1. Roachie

Roachie Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I started thinking about this last night because I have a demo game that would largely play out like angry birds (I.e slingshot physics) and I am just trying to think about what other mechanics can be done so it's not just another angry birds clone.

I am still undecided on a theme so I'm flexible, but it started as a simple demo to better understand box2d physics but as grown into something I find fun ( and I'm a huge fan of angry birds)

Just curious if you think physics style games are pretty much all been done and dusted , I definitely don't want to ever just be considered another angry birds clone but at the same time I'm struggling to carve out something unique.

Would you buy a angry birds style game if it had a different theme/ art style?

2. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Apple is not accepting clones anymore.

Beside, the birds in the space with the change of gravity is pretty much the maximum of conceptual ideas that this genre can reach...I really don't see anything else...they did pretty much everything...

I would say it is time to move on to something else...

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Agree with the above, i would try something else.

I love platform games but i find platform games totally different, not just the graphics or levels but most platform games play pretty different with weapons/jumps etc.

I just find Angry Bird games the same time and time again. If i want to play an Angry birds style game i'll play the original as it seems to do it the best, the clones are just poor rip offs.

4. I personally think it's been done to death and still being done. I recently purchased a game called Shark Dash. This is a game that I probably would have enjoyed before the whole Angry Bird phenomenon however I couldn't play more than a few levels. That game actually does put a different spin on the whole slingshot genre, but unfortunately I'm just so sick of it that it didn't capture my interest. I can say though, that Angry Birds Space is a very good game with a good twist on the whole concept.

There is currently Angry Birds, Seasons, Space and Rio. Combined there are hundreds of levels between them all. They all cost $0.99. If I wanted a slingshot game I would just buy Angry Birds personally. All the other slingshot games out there just seem like re-skinned templates.

5. makaGeorge

makaGeorge Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Well... Angry Birds is not really the original in this genre, it just was VERY successful and was well done...

anyway... the only two things that I can think of is adding multiple players, like those classical tank games which use similar physics and going deeper into the space thing....

I did find the space version of Angry Birds a bit in unsatisfying as it's not very realistic... I loved a game back in the 90's for the Amiga where two stationary ships had to shoot each other and random planets would be in the middle. you had to judge the trajectory taking into account the gravity from all the planets... I liked that one much better, but haven't seen anything similar...

6. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

There you go. Remake this game. I remember it as well.

7. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

There's about an infinite number of different things you can do that rely on the same 'slingshot' mechanic. One of the better ones I've seen recently is Burrito Bison (Flash, coming to iOS). You're not really thinking if you think all the concepts have been exhausted. It's just not possible.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    +1 , limited imagination does not mean there are no other ideas, just that one has none ;)

9. Roachie

Roachie Active Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Awesome tips guys. thanks for the opinions.

I definetely think an exact clone of angry birds is done and dusted, so i just need to think a little outside the square i think.

I love physics style games, seems like there are far too many of those style of games already, but if it has a unique hook it could be something to standout.

So i will definetely think about it abit more.

10. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I don't understand why you take what I said that way...Just for example, look at the Call of Duty games, Ghost Recon games and Battlefield Games...

Did you notice that they all ended up being in the future at a certain point...the new CoD, Future Soldiers and BF2142...even Mario went into space with Mario Galaxy...seriously I am just realist...look at the movies today...new gendra are no more! Alien Movies, horror movies, love movies...it is always the same scenes that come back over and over again, even the soundtracks are the same!

With all the people on earth, and with all the time we spent into making art creations...it is sure that at some point, there is a certain plateau.

New gendra don't exist anymore. That's why we have to be double and even triple more imaginative than before to come up with great and new concepts....And even if it is original, it won't be 100% original and new anyways. Look at the game Journey...it's beautiful, imaginative, new....BUT, it is still a 3rd person platformer like thousands of other games.

So yea, I keep my point, it's time for Rovio to go on something else...the space thing and gravity change is pretty much the farthest that this slingshot concept can go, at least, for me.

11. antireality

antireality Member

Mar 11, 2011
    graphics driver monkey
    Kingston Upon Thames, UK
    The only thought I have right now is if you went back to the planet gravity idea and you fixed the trajectory of the shot from the source, making the objective of the game to position the obstacles that influenced its path instead.

I'm not sure how that would play out though (assuming it hasn't already been done) - that's just me spouting the first idea that came into my code-addled mind. Feel free to help yourself to it if it's not deemed a rubbish idea though :)