Turn-Based Strategy Games - What do YOU want?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Quorlan, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Hi everyone. I'm curious about something. How many of you out there are "strategy gamers" who enjoy deep, rich, turn-based strategy games that actually make you carefully plan and consider what you're doing? I'm thinking, games like Chess, many of the better CCGs, Risk, Settlers of Catan, Civilization, etc.

If you are into this type of game, are you happy with what's currently available on the App Store or are you clamoring for more and better choices?

What are YOU looking for in this type of game?

If a game were to come to the App Store that offered great strategic game play, was turn based, had wonderful graphics, had infinite replay value and could be played either solo (against an AI opponent) or against other players (think WiFi or Internet based - not hotseat or bluetooth), what would you be willing to pay for it? Do you prefer one price or would you rather a little price or free price and then have the ability to purchase additional content in-game?

Thanks for any comments and opinions!
    Q

2. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    map editor

3. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Romance of the Three Kingdoms just came out, it's the most complex and successful turn-based strategy game I believe. Personally my favourite PC game series.
    Other than that the app store lacks turn-based strategy games with any real challenge.

4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    How about a Fire Emblem clone? A few characters that you control and you have to fight through large armies with these few dudes. The thing thats so strategic about the game is that if someone dies, they're dead for good. No making other similar units or reviving them. It makes you carefully plan you strategy, making sure no one dies.

Otherwise I enjoy Advance Wars alot. Sure Mecho Wars is a good clone, but it's not as in depth or challenging as Advance Wars is. Too bad Nintendo is completely afraid of the appstore being a huge competition to them and therefore avoiding it.

My big thing though is that I think that square spaces are much better than hexagon spaces. It's much easier to plan a strategy with 4 sides than 6. And for some reason it's just more fun

5. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    +1 for fire emblem

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #6 drelbs, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    It would be trivial for SEGA to bring over some Shining Force games...

I think it will be difficult to top R3K, it's got everything in there from management to tactical battles.

I'd be thrilled it KOEI brought over the Uncharted Waters games (or a sequal).

Was there any multiplayer to this version of R3K? Even the Gameboy version of Nobunaga's Ambition (and the Genesis if I remember correctly) had multiplayer (up to 8!) options. An online "Push" form of gameplay would suit any turn based strategy game well...

7. Dark_Messenger

Dark_Messenger Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    The only turnbased strategy (if you can call it that) game i've ever become hooked on is the warlords-series. Its not pretty or advanced but what makes it so good is its simpleness that makes it easy and engaging to get in to but hard to master.

Simple is better!

8. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    The app store is lacking any type of srpg. There are some good tbs and rts games out there, but not one filling the rpg niche.

So the easy answer is some kind of FFT or Fire Emblem clone... or a mix of the two

9. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    I love Lux DLX but i would want to see a strategy game a bit more complex...

Why not on the WW2?

I'm thinking about a A&A but simplified...

10. imusic

imusic Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I write music for a living.
    Los Angeles, CA.
  11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    +1 for any game resembling fire emblem

12. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    #12 MunkieSuthorn, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    A question for the OP's question...

Why do you ask? Are you looking to design/develop a lil sumtin sumtin?

Munkie!

13. Backflip Studios

Backflip Studios Well-Known Member

Puerto Rico
    Princes of Florence
    Agricola
    Power Grid
    Ticket to Ride

I find this post very intriguing, I think it is a relatively small market but an extremely passionate user base. We have toyed with some of these ideas ourselves. I really like the newest iPhone edition of Hive but was somewhat disappointed with the Catan offering. I think someone is going to crush it in the app store with a good CCG.

14. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I want a Steel Panthers game.

15. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I actually don't care about new TBS games any more. KOEI's Romance of the Three Kingdoms just came out! That and The Kings is all the TBS I can manage. Seriously guys, you should check out both of those games. Must buys.

16. kcbc

kcbc Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Fantasy General from the Panzer General series

17. MartiNZ

MartiNZ Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Absolutely +1 for Warlords. Even just an implementation of Warlords II as was done for the DS if I recall. In fact that would probably be the best in terms of a level of complexity to suit the platform.

18. krapst78

krapst78 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    I'd love to see a remake of Moonbase Commander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonbase_Commander). New copies of the game are hard to find now and can go for up to $40 which is double the price it what it sold for at launch. They had some really talented designers at Humongous Entertainment and if they could bring it out at a good price point and multiplayer support it has the potential to become a big hit.

19. Lupus

Lupus Active Member

Oct 10, 2009
    I think everyone here is mistaking the divide of turn-based strategy with turn-based RPG. FFT and fire emblem are very good examples of turn-based RPGs while Civilization is a turn-based strategy. I actually like turn-based RPGs a lot more than strategy, but I think the guy that created this thread is referring more to strategy, maybe we should create another thread for the turn-based RPG discussion. Other than that, sorry for being a prick :D.

More on topic... I think all turn-based games that use single player should have a double or triple speed option or an animation skipper of some sort, i kinda prefer the double speed option cos i still want the animations going on, just without it boring me to death with its length. A bit like what they did for some tower defense games.

20. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    Well, I am a game designer. I've been designing table-top games for almost ten years. Mostly I've designed table-top Role Playing Games and a couple of Collectible Card Games. I'm working with a small group of friends and colleagues and we've designed and built a new table-top game that's getting close to ready for us to produce some prototypes. That said, we've decided to explore developing it as an iPhone game as well. It's highly strategic and turn-based and so we thought it might fill a gap in the current iPhone offerings.

To that end, I've been trying to get a feel for what the iPhone gamer's out there want in a game like this. It's clearly a segment that is under-served. It seems to me that there are a lot of gamers out there who want something deeper, more strategic and certainly less "casual" than most of the iPhone games out there today.

While the game is already designed and is only undergoing tweaking and fine tuning before prototypes are produced, we know there will be some changes necessary to bring it to the iPhone. So I'm trying to get a grasp on what people are really clamoring for and what we can do to make it something that you not only want to play, but don't want to stop playing. And when you're forced to stop playing, you'll keep thinking about it, refining your strategies and preparing for the next time you play.

So keep the thoughts and suggestions coming!

Thanks everyone!

Q