iPhone 5 on 6.1.3 issue - Battery draining like crazy!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by metalcasket, Apr 9, 2013.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    My girlfriend got an iPhone 2 days ago and for the better part of the last 2 days, her battery's been draining like hell. I'm talking going down 5% at a time in standby and crap. We've done all the usual. Location services off, Bluetooth, crap to do with push notifications, turning down the brightness, iCloud, etc...I've been using iDevices for 4 years now, I know the basics. :p The thing is, I've been complaining about my battery (iPhone 4) going down like hell too. Not this drastically though. Is there any known problem with 6.1.3 regarding batteries draining, and if not, what can we do about it?

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Thanks dude, you're frickin' awesome! :) We'll give it a try when she comes home later today.

3. This maybe a Google related calendar sync problem. I sync hotmail and icloud calendars, but I just tried to only sync icloud calendars on my iphone 4 and ipad 3 cause I am curious to see if hotmail calendar syncs cause a battery drain. But it seems if one is synching with google calendars, that can be a problem.

But makes sense just to sync calendars with icloud only. I will let you know if I see any difference on my end cause I am curious. Probably better anyway to just sync to icloud anyway for uniformity sake I figure.

4. This might be a bit idiotic saying this as it sounds like something you might have tried already, but how often is Mail checking for E-Mails in the background?

5. You can set the fetch (push) settings with emails to different intervals in the general settings. I usually just set it off and manually check, but the battery draining problem seems to be from a google calendar sync problem it seems.

6. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    When I turned 3G on it started draining the battery like crazy on my 4th gen iPhone. It went down from lasting ~2+ days to needing a daily charge.

But more relevantly, both my girlfriend and I have noticed that the battery drain had gotten FAR greater than normal in the last week or so. For both of us it only lasted about two days before it went back to normal.

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I believe she's set it to Manual.

8. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    #9 EfratBarTal, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    I'm having similar drainage of battery on my iphone so I just bought a battery case from Dexim and this helps me last a day.

i'm gonna say something trivial and probably not too helpful here but.. iPhones and other smartphones don't excel on the battery life. You want to have a phone with battery that lasts longer? get an old Nokia dumbphone.. you'll have a whole week between recharges.

turning off all the nice iphone features to save battery is to me pretty stupid. i mean, why get a high-end device if you just gonna cripple it? I mean, if my phone has the ability to notify me about an email the minute i receive it, why should i set it to behave differently?

9. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Not to rub it in but you are wrong just snapped this from my Galaxy S Advance I do have a larger battery than stock but same sized so same cover, I'm also running deep sleep battery saver pro but if you look at my average life (near bottom of pic) I think you will be very suprised.

[​IMG]

Not bad for a dual core 1ghz phone with 80gb of storage also plays GTA3 great.

10. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    that's impressive! but, "left - talk time" 13:16? official specs for device state up to 7h 20m on 3G.. you sure you have all your wireless features on? 3G? sorry, just highly skeptical, these look like the figures from a device not utilizing most of its abilities. not "living up to its full potential" as they say.

11. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #12 Teknikal, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
    Thats the snap straight from my phone I used to get 2 days which was impressive enough on my mugen battery, until I installed deep sleep battery saver pro what this app does is puts all apps on a deep freeze except whitelisted ones when the phone screen is off but you still receive calls/sms.

So basicly when I turn my screen off it deep sleeps everything but the whitelisted apps the phone itself and SMS it also disables wireless but lets the phone sync on a schedule like turns on wifi/3G for 5 min each hour or whatever you set it to.

Not trying to deceive anyone that's really my average life on my smartphone and I'm trying to explain how it was accomplished without hiding anything.

Edit:

Just to try and prove there is no hanky panky going on in my claims I took a couple of non screenshot pictures with my canon I know my claims seem farfetched when most people are struggling to get through a day this should help show my setup, including battery, 64gb Micro SD etc

Pic 1

pic 2

12. But then, we can't play ios games.

13. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    heya, sorry, didn't mean to sound as if i was questioning the credibility of your original photos i weren't, i trust your photos are 100 percent legit. But I also know that smart phones don't last more than a day or two on my regular use (at least have the 3G and push notifications always on). You seem to require a lot less from your smart phone than I do.

I use my old Iphone original as a backup phone, only turn transmitters on once or twice a day to check messages and stuff, and pratically only using it as an iPod whenever I go out for a jog. Battery recharges are quite sporadic.

14. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    I know, I know. Too bad games are so great at draining your battery. Maybe.. one day in the future.. they won't. But for now, what can a man do? :(

15. What is crazy is an iphone is not really used mostly as a phone, it is more of a web portal and gaming device for many. Now, they gotta let my ipad be used as a phone so I can ditch paying for a phone, since I pretty much carry my ipad everywhere nowadays, except when I am showering... ;)

16. EfratBarTal

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    Judging by the new trend of waterproof smartphones.. this too might change by next gen.

Prepare your tub mats, you'll be playing Real Racing 4 under the water sprayer soon. :)

17. Sambobsung

Sambobsung Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    Male
    Canada
    Griffin Tech already has those cases :3