Galaxy on Fire 2 - Supernova: The official Dev Diaries

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by fishlabs_games, Apr 10, 2012.

1. fishlabs_games

fishlabs_games Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Hey guys, the development of Galaxy on Fire 2 - Supernova is in full swing and we've planned to keep you up to date about all steps and stages of the production by releasing a new developer diary every Tuesday. The first two dev diaries about the design of the logo and the writing of the backstory are already available at our blog. You can check 'em out at the following URLs. Hope you enjoy the read! :)

Part 1:http://www.fishlabs.net/en/blog/galaxy-on-fire-2-supernova-dev-diary-pt-1-the-design-of-the-logo/?blog=1
    Part 2: http://www.fishlabs.net/en/blog/galaxy-on-fire-2-supernova-dev-diary-pt-2-the-new-storyline-and-characters/?blog=1

2. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Well let`s hope this one will work out better then the last iAP fizzling. Looking forward to see more about it in the upcoming Weeks.

3. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
  4. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Looking forward to it. GoF2 was one of my favorites for iOS.

Hopefully there is more being done than just planets and ships. Some actual gameplay changes and features that give us a reason to want to come back. Especially some new scenarios to give more variety than just fighting pirates ad nauseam. And I don't normally care for multiplayer games, but I have to imagine this would be one of the most popular games if it ever received online connectivity for co op and competition matches.

How about some variation in the ships? Instead of the same dogfights every time, what if he had to fight some massive Battlestar Galactica dreadnought? With weak points and shielding, and turrets, and being able to target individual systems like weapons or propulsion in order to cripple them.

Some exploration element would be nice, as an incentive to visit new systems. You could add probes and stuff to discover. I like to imagine a game that has a random terrain algorithm and allows the some planets to be explored and mined (think Mass Effect 1), but perhaps that is asking too much for the present engine.

I would like to see the busywork quests streamlined. They did grow tedious whenever entering one system and offered a job halfway across the galaxy. "I heard that some distant planet three star systems away has space trash that needs clearing!" Really? What about right here? Nobody has anything going on within a hundred lightyears of _this_ bar?

Having an onscreen slider to adjust speed would be a great and simple addition. The reason I discovered this game and immediately bought it (the most I've paid for an iOS game to date) was coming from a Windows Mobile phone where I played Anthelion. Even if it's not especially useful, I liked being able to slow down or speed up when it felt appropriate.

I would also like a toggle in the settings to enable collisions. Obviously many people would prefer to keep the game as it is, but there's something about the lack of danger in running into ships or planets that took something away from the fun of piloting a spaceship.

I just see so much potential in one of the best looking and playing games on the iPhone and Valkyrie was one of two exceptions I have ever made to my rule of not buying IAP. It was essentially an expansion pack and I was happy to pay for this because it was the product of real time and effort from the developers. I hope we can look forward to many more.

5. TobiasP

TobiasP Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Online Editor @ Fishlabs
    Hamburg / Germany
    Thanks a lot for the extensive feedback and cool suggestions, dib. We'll surely make additions to the gameplay as well... there'll be new environments (such as systems with a high level of radition that causes damage to the player's ship), new ship models with unique functionality (e.g. drop ships), new mission types (e.g. evacuation missions) and tons of other cool stuff! All in all, we've planned to make Supernova as big as the main game GOF2 and the first expansion Valkyrie together... :)

BTW, the speed of the vessel can already be regulated by swiping up or down on the display. We first introduced that feature in GOF2 Full HD and added it to GOF2 HD and SD a couple of months ago.

6. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    I did miss the speed slider. Personally, I would prefer it lock to quarter increments because who needs 83%? Either way, that's a nice way to implement it that doesn't interfere with any of the existing mechanics.

7. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
  8. Nullroar

Nullroar Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Software Rep, Rhyme Guru, Game Editor
    Munich
    #8 Nullroar, May 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
    Whoooooa, whoa.

Sanuku. I love ya, buddy, but if you are putting down Valkyrie then you must crazy. It was an expansion, and it was a GREAT one. The guided nukes felt visceral, the auto-turrets were overpowered and fun, and the storyline tickled me.

It didn't seem long enough, but that's generally a sign that it was done very well : )

Really excited for Supernova and happy that my PlayBook is getting some GoF love too!

But one thing: If I die because I barely make it to a station but I am forced to "hack" my way in while a horde of angry baddies are on my tail, I will be a sad panda. Please consider making regular entry (even if I have to bribe a guard etc.) an option, and have hacking to sneak past some of the bad alternatives be another option.

Puzzles while being shot at is not the most enjoyable thing ever : (

9. Felix_Felicis

Felix_Felicis Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Looks like cool stuff; I appreciate the stressing over the details to get the logo just right.

All I have to say about the story and everything else is: The more GOF reminds me of the storylines and diversity (in ship design diversity, missions, story) in Escape Velocity Nova, the happier I will be!

Good luck developing :O)

10. TobiasP

TobiasP Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Online Editor @ Fishlabs
    Hamburg / Germany
    Cheers, Nullroar and Felix! Glad to hear your looking forward to Supernova. And don't worry... of course, you'll still be able to enter most stations in the new add-on without making use of your hacking skills. But every now and then you'll also have to become an intergalactic version of Kevin Flynn for a minute or two... ;)

11. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I'll be waiting for this. Honestly the Valkyrie update was great but the story was pretty short. More overpowered ships this time please.

12. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Agree, I felt as if the Valkirie story didn't last enough. I've reinstalled the game, don't know if I'll play original + valkirie now or if I'll wait for supernova and play the trilogy on a row.

13. Tower Defender

Tower Defender Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Multiple turret ships please :D.

14. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
  15. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I am dying to get the Supernova update. At the moment I have three upcoming wishes:

- Galaxy on Fire Supernova.
    - Topia Age of Creation.
    - Prevail.

And I can say I want them baaaad :D

16. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    GOF2 Supernova Beta Version at E3

Not a dev diary this time but some fresh screenshots coming along with our latest press release announcing the Beta version to be demoed at E3!

[​IMG]

Screenshot of SD version

17. kcur

kcur Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    US
    Good to hear it will be released on each app simultaneously. Those graphics look sweet!

18. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
  19. fishlabs_games

Jan 13, 2009
    The development of Supernova is in full swing and the 7th and 8th developer diaries for the new add-on are now available on our blog. Check 'em out by following the links below!

Dev Diary #7 "The Legend of the Bloodstar - Reprise": http://www.fishlabs.net/en/blog/galaxy-on-fire-2-supernova-dev-diary-pt-7-the-legend-of-the-bloodstar-reprise/?blog=1

Dev Diary #8 "The new Items and Gadgets of Supernova": http://www.fishlabs.net/en/blog/galaxy-on-fire-2-supernova-dev-diary-pt-8-the-new-items-and-gadgets-of-supernova/?blog=1

20. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia