Universal Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Dec 5, 2012.

1. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    Damn it so iPad mini lags too.. It drops frames like there's no tomorrow on iPad 3. iPhone 5 is rather smooth, not quite perfect but very very good anyway. The default controls are way too small. And they seem buggy, I press aim clearly but it doesn't do it. Fire button works though most of the time. Mc3 never acted like this..

2. nschneider350

nschneider350 Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Does it run in retina on the Ipad 3, I am assuming not since it doesn't on the Ipad 4 either (might be half retina hard to tell). It does run decent on the iphone 5 but I think it still could be better. I have a heck of a time navigating the menus on the iphone 5, everything is just so small.

3. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    How does this run on an iPod 5? it has pretty good specs so I'd imagine well...

4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

What do you mean by pretty good specs? It's like an iPhone 4S that has to power more pixels. That's not what I'd call good (for todays standards).

5. hamburglar291

hamburglar291 Member

Dec 6, 2012
    If you don't unlock weapons by getting to higher ranks, what's the point of XP? Just to unlock perks?

6. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    What I mean is 512mb ram and a5 processor,I'd call that good,better then my old iPod 4 that's for sure

7. Jacksmart

Jacksmart Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    So is this game recommended for a iphone 4s? both sp and mp?

8. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Yes I will.

Funnily enough though its the iPhone 5 I'm playing it most on.
    Dunno why, just seems that little bit more responsive and as you have to scope to survive, the bigger screen loses its advantage to some extent.

Finally getting up to my 40 plus kills per match which gives a lot of rewards. But haven't had lot of time to play. Then other matches I just get pwned. Which is kinda good for the balancing really.

Having a small problem with gold resets (which is being checked so no worries there) so haven't got enough of weapons yet to decide which is best but did pick up that 80,000 rifle from another player in a match and it rocked. He suddenly became my primary target to keep picking it up off him. He eventually quit. Iap don't buy skill.

9. ibebyi

ibebyi Member

Aug 31, 2011
    IT Admin
    Sunny San Diego
    #529 ibebyi, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
    I'm noticing pretty substantial input lag with MC4 on my iphone 5, even with the sensitivity set to the highest it can go on the slider. It also *seems* the guns in this game kick back harder (higher recoil), making it harder to aim with precision down the sights.
    I hadn't noticed any similar input lag issues with the NOVA series, MC1/2/3, CM:SWAT, Dead Trigger, or Trigger fist, and usually I'm pretty good at the MP components of those games, finishing with a 2:1 K/D ratio or better... I don't feel like I'm going to be able to pull that off in this game.

I'd say the input delay feels extremely similar to the new Shadowgun: Deadzone, in that I can tell (informally) I'm getting a pretty high FPS (probably fluctuating around 45-60), but the input just feels delayed by some static "n" milliseconds. Could this be the effect of a triple buffered vsync, or too many prerendered frames to maintain a higher net fps? Idk.

Either way, call me a troll but this is easily the weakest MC entry for me so far. If we could just be given in-game graphics controls to turn down shadows or something to net a higher fps, I'd be a happy camper.

Regretting purchase... oh well, back to GTA VC!!!

10. agentblank

agentblank Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Juggernaut class seems good too. Rank 40 perks seem good.

11. Jinathin_x_X

Jinathin_x_X Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    They gotta make ranked matches game modes longer! Games like zone control takes like 4 mins to end. Every match seems really short. I think the best match to play (only if you are good) to lvl up is VIP. Already lvl 20 now

12. Jacksmart

Jacksmart Active Member

Jan 30, 2012
    So should I buy this game or pass and wait for a price drop?

13. ibebyi

ibebyi Member

Aug 31, 2011
    IT Admin
    Sunny San Diego
    #533 ibebyi, Dec 6, 2012
    I suppose it depends on the device you have. I have it on my iphone 5, and as I mentioned in my post from a few minutes ago, even on my iphone the input lag has gotten in the way more than a few times. I'd imagine it's only worse on lower spec'ed hardware, which would include the iphone 4, ipad 1, & ipod 3, 4, & 5, unless the exclusion of some of the more intensive graphical elements like dynamic shadows for these weaker devices offsets the lag I'm seeing in my iphone 5.

I also feel a bit of "immersion disconnect" just mainly due to the fact that there is a pretty large time-lapse between when you press a button/swipe to when the action is actually performed. I effing hate that xD

NOVA 3, on the other hand (minus game-stopping script/AI errors) felt butter smooth with NO input lag.

14. Decaf Table

Decaf Table Member

Sep 28, 2012
    This game has totally let me down. The first mistake was not optimizing the game with full retina in mind. The second mistake is performance problems.

Seriously, I could care less about special effects and more textures if it doesn't have a good resolution and smooth gameplay. FPS need the highest frames for the best gameplay more then any other genre.

I was excited for the game but it really disgusts me that even an iPhone 5 doesn't have buttery smooth gameplay. My iPad 3 will be playing Vice City, Mini Gore 2 and Into the Dead!

Gameloft has dropped the ball on this one. If they release an update with full retina and some frame rate tweaks then I might buy, but otherwise I'll stick with console titles in this department.

15. ibebyi

ibebyi Member

Aug 31, 2011
    IT Admin
    Sunny San Diego
    #535 ibebyi, Dec 6, 2012
    Yeah, I feel you.. I don't even like depth of field, in fact I hate it (I mean c'mon, DOF on a FOUR INCH SCREEN!?), and the fact that I know it's bogging the game down by like another 5 fps just makes me boil! xD

I'm going to run over some hookers, I think that'll make me feel better.

16. BruteOutlawz

BruteOutlawz Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    That happened to me in single player, i had to get to the next checkpoint with just the run button and then restart the game to get movement back. Hasnt done it since that.

17. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    It's like playing cod all over again. Sever is fast and good, but there is some lags btw players. Like I should have killed them for sure but sometimes it doesn't.

18. noel916

noel916 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    It runs pretty smoothly on iPod 4 th gen, I haven't expected a lot of lag, except when notifications pop up

19. Jinathin_x_X

May 15, 2012
    It happened to me MP quite a lot... Way to fix it is either use the 2nd control lay out or change the control lay out and change back to your normal control setting

20. noel916

noel916 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    I agree VIP is the best, I was lvl 1 but after 3 games I'm lvl 9,(not that much lol)