Has the iPhone/iPod/iPad become your portable gaming device of choice?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SgtSilock, Nov 24, 2012.

1. SgtSilock

SgtSilock Member

Nov 22, 2012
    I know theres the DS and the PS vita, but do any of you see your 'i' device as a decent alternative or do you feel it doesn't match up to some of these dedicated machines yet?

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2 Vovin, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
    Yes. First weapon of my choice.

Also, these machines are no match to my iPhone 5, in every way.
    The power, functionality and offer of apps in terms of variety and price are not beatable by anything handheld.

3. SgtSilock

SgtSilock Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Your sig made me lol.

4. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #4 Vovin, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

That just reality. Sad. But "amusing" at the same time.

Welcome to touchArcade, Sarge. *salutes*
    If you're no cheapskate or promo code leech, we will be good friends.

Back to topic:

I do nearly everything with my iPhone since I discovered that it not only plays games; I can actually make phone calls with it! Messaging, surfing the internet, e-mails, internet banking, ordering things, listening to music or watching youtube stuff, talking photos or record movies... every aspect is doable. And playing, of course. For prices I can only laugh about. With fantastic graphics and sound. That makes it more worth than every handheld console.

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    When I look at my iPhone I see an awesome portable gaming console with some other features...

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    This.

And now that i haveput my attention on gaming with my ipad3...

7. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    same, my ipod touch is actually a portable gaming device.
    I'd ever want a handheld, but I realised it's useless to me due to I've got so many games on IOS and xbox unfinished and a handheld is not really that portable.
    and with my ios device I can do so many things, I can read Bible in bus, listen to the music when my eyes tired and play games when I waiting in the line.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep love my device

Can do so much more than just play games, love listening to podcasts on it (and via a cable in the car), reading books, reading comics, music/movies, can control my home PC as well (Via logmein).

I can never be bored ever again if i'm waiting in a doctors surgery, or waiting in some shop for something, or waiting at a bus stop. With the gadget i cant be bored !!!

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I use mine as a portable game machine, web surfing, RSS, email, music player, ebook reader...and other things that I can't think of right now. I've stopped playing with my Nintendo DS since the iPod touch, and barely use my laptop after getting the iPad.

10. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    I use the ipod and ipad purely as gaming devices, I do some writing from time to time on the iPad but their main function is gaming really.

I would say that the iphone is my portable gaming device of choice mainly because it IS portable and always with me compared to say my Vita, which I love but I end up playing it solely at home so it has to fight with my consoles for playing time.

In the end I almost always end up playing games on my iDevices a lot more than consoles or handhelds because its so much faster to do and on week days between job and wife gaming time decreases greatly. I only discovered iOS gaming when the itouch 4 came out but im really thankful because it has gave me quality gaming that fits a busy schedule.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes. My iPod (and now my iPad) have been my portable gaming platforms of choice since getting my first 2nd gen touch. But I should probably add that I was out of gaming for about 10+ years (the last major console I owned before getting my 2nd gen touch was an N64) - I do have a couple of GameBoy Advance SP's, an original GameBoy, and now a PS 2 and Wii in the living room (though I don't use those, they're mainly used by the kids) - and also an NES, Dreamcast, SNES and SEGA, but those are under my bed and I rarely take them out.

Also, my daughter has a Nintendo DSi and my nephew (who lives a couple houses up the street) has a Vita and Windows Phone, and though I occasionally will check out games when they want me to, I'm never really that interested in them.

Over the last year I've had a couple of chances to buy used XBOX 360's and PS3's from friends and co-workers, but have passed on it. Mainly because there's not many console games I want to play now-a-days, and if there are, they're usually released for the PC as well (the last big name games I played were Borderlands 2, Dead Space 2 and FEAR 3) - so I don't really see the point in getting a console.

I should also say that I've become VERY spoiled with the AppStore's games and prices, and with so many great games available so insanely cheap, it's hard to convince myself that getting a Vita, 3DS or even a big console would be worth it when even at used game pricing, I could pick up 10 times the games for the same price in the AppStore.

Anyway... sorry for the lengthy response. But yes... I know there aren't many of us, but my iPod/iPad is my main portable gaming device, as well as my main ALL-AROUND gaming device, and I have no intentions of that changing any time soon. =oP

12. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Yup, same here. My iPod touch solves all my portable gaming needs. Heck, I hardly even play console games any more thanks to my iPod touch. Like others said above me, so many great games on the App Store for such great prices, there's nothing else I could need!

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Definitely. Other than Mortal Kombat, Catherine and just recently WWE 13 and Batman: Arkham City, my PS3 has done nothing but sit packed away nicely in my closet for just about a year since I last had played with it. That said...iOS gaming may or may not have made me appreciate console gaming more, because I'm having a blast playing the 2 aforementioned games a hell of a lot more than I have most recent iOS games.

14. Pman

Pman Well-Known Member

May 2, 2010
    Texas
    I play a lot of Xbox live. I love to play AC3, Halo 4, and Black Ops 2. You see I love playing multiplayer online games, they just excite me, so that's why my iPhone is not my number 1 playing device, but most definitely my number 2.

And someone in this thread I forgot who mentioned that his iPhone was his favorite because it actually is 'portable' and is always with you. I think that is a good thing to point out.

15. Before I had my beloved iPhone 4 8GB, I had a PSP. I still do, I I loved it SO much. I really felt special to me because I bought it on my own with my hard-earned money. I bought a lot of games for it on my own as well, and I would play them ALL the time. Then, for my 14th birthday, I got my iPhone 4. I had NO idea hat I was missing out on befor I got it, and I now use it for everything. Now, I very rarely play my PSP. I still plan on getting a Vita, and I hope I can get a 4S 64GB, because 8GB is not enough for all the games I've bought and downloaded over the year.

16. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    It always has been and always will be.

17. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    @the guy who made the thread: you are asking this on the wrong forum lol. The answer is quite expected.

18. I love my new ipad and iphone 4. They have made me happier than any console or portable that I have had in the past. I wouldn't trade them for a ps3, xbox 360, or playstation vita.

19. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    It's Become my gaming device of choice. Not just portable. I don't even play any of my old systems anymore.

20. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    It's become an alternative, but not my handheld of choice. Not even close.