iPad 4th generation discussion thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Infernado, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    I'm in the market for an iPad but am on a student budget. I currently game on my 4S only but am looking at getting an iPad around xmas time. Do I just get the iPad 4 and go big or get the iPad 3 at a discounted price and wait until the redesign in 8-12 months? Or the iPad mini with that same wait until the redesign? I'm a fiend for resolution and power but on a budget is it worth it for me now? I'd LOVE an iPad mini with 1600p + ughhh...

I mean I could get the 32gb mini for $429 which is a good price I think, but my dream is a 32-64gb iPad 4 with cellular

2. If you can wait, I would wait for the ipad 5, the ipad 4 is only a very small incremental change, like an 's' version of the new ipad. Other than cpu, there isn't really that much of substance.

I think the ipad 5 will learn from the Microsoft surface wars and will be dramatically different than the ipad. I think at some point apple may have to consider a sd card slot, and it will come in an 128 gb format which will be nice.

I really think the ipad 5 will be a gamers dream. The ipad will fix some framerate issues of the new ipad, but I really don't think it will be a night and day difference like the ipad 5 will be.

3. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I'm not sure what the problem is about the iPads getting heavier, thicker. It's mainly used around the home, or in the office, so usually rests on your lap, table or desk. If you had to carry it in your pocket, sure it'd be a problem. But for its purpose it is fine.

4. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    It's funny what a short memory people have. I bet you weren't saying that upon release of the iPad 2. We already had retina in the iPhone 4 but that didn't stop millions from buying the 'fizzy piece of crap' iPad 2.

Oh I have, and obviously the iPad 3 display looks better, especially when looking at pictures. My point was that it's a ridiculous exaggeration to say "as the retina display makes the ipad 2 look like a complete piece of shit comparitively". I'll forgo the eye exam, thanks. :)

5. #25 Connector, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
    The ipad 2 is just fine. Basically, the ipad mini is a shrunken ipad 2, and it will sell millions. This smaller size will allow it to fit into women's purses so It will sell well.

The new ipad had a nice retina screen but was flawed in heat, cpu gpu, and weight. The ipad should fix these issues, so that is cool. The really serious changes will come next year with the ipad 5. I really think
    the ipad was forced to come out now due in large part to the microsoft surface and future samsung tablets.

Having a slightly flawed new ipad would not be good to compete and with the need to add a lightning connector, they had to upgrade now.

But just you wait, there will be some radical changes to the ipad 5, as far as I am concerned the ipad is just an 's' version of the new ipad. They just should have named it the new ipad s version, so the naming wouldn't be such a headache!

I really think the ipad 5 will be much closer to being closer to console quality than the ipad. The new ipad kind of clunks along in framerate for labor intensive games. The ipad will be decent. But I really think that is where the ipad 5 will shine, in 3d games.

But the ipad will be what the new ipad should have been. I just wonder which screen will look better, the ipad or new ipad. The new ipad has 2 lightbars but the ipad will have that new screen with one light bar I think. The new ipads screen is made by samsung, the ipads is from multiple vendors. Gonna be interesting which has a better screen.

6. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    For gaming purposes i would avoid the ipad3 like the plague. Get the ipad4 or stick to 4S (it's perfectly good for games anyway) and wait for ipad5 .

7. Allanon

Dec 10, 2011
    Paranor
    So I shouldn't get the iPad mini even though it has better resolution than my 4S?

At $429 for 32gb it's not that expensive compared to what I'd dish out for the iPad 4 with cellular.

Also I notice people saying wait for the iPad 5... The iPad mini is the 5 guys... The next iPad will be the 6 and I think they added the 4 intentionally to make the mini the 5 and speed up the iPads to where the iPhones are. Next year iPad 6 and iPhone 6.

8. BrEaKBEaT

BrEaKBEaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2009
    London, UK
    #28 BrEaKBEaT, Oct 25, 2012
    I think you're a little confused. The 4S has far more pixels per inch than the iPad mini, though both will look great. The Mini is a new product line, not the iPad 5. Apple will definitely want to differentiate between the two. I wouldn't think having the ipad/iphone release numbers in sync is too high up the priority list Tbh ;)

Of course there are no guarantees that the next full sized ipad will be called the iPad 5. Some are advising you to wait as they're expecting significant changes. Who knows, it's all speculation at the min.

9. Infernado

Infernado Active Member

Sep 23, 2012

Let me clear this for everyone. The iPad mini is NOT the ipad 6 it is a different branch, like the iPod nano was to original iPod.

I would say you should get ipad mini or wait for ipad 5, the iPad 5 will have seriously upgraded tech, and design.

10. Allanon

Dec 10, 2011
    Paranor
    but if my 4S is better looking regarding ppi than the iPad mini then I'm only gonna go for the iPad 4 since I'm a performance buff.

11. Infernado

Infernado Active Member

Sep 23, 2012
    The ipad 4 will be perfect for Gaming. If you have the cash, go with that.

12. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    samething here mate

13. I dunno, if you can pick one up for a good price, it may be worth it. For example, if an ipad costs $500 but the new ipad was $300, I just might buy the new ipad.

True the cpu is 2x better, but games won't be. Plus it really only applies to maybe 2% of the games out there that will run a lot better. Most games are designed for the ipad 2, so you won't see much of a benefit. And these 2% of games are generally huge 2gb games which most peope can't keep on their systems due to disk space.

So contrary to your arguement, if you can pick up a new ipad for $200 less than the ipad, it may well be worth it.

In fact, if you gave me the option to buy an ipad with 16 gb, or a new ipad with 64 gb for $500, I would go with the new ipad for sure, cause if you have 16 gb, you got max 2 or 3 2gb games like Asphalt 7 and Nova 3, and that's it after you load everything else.

Disk space is key to an avid gamer. So honestly, I would go for the new ipad with 64 gb over the 16 gb ipad. If you could get a new ipad 64 gb for $400, I think it would be a no brainer.

The new ipad has some slight flaws like heat, weight, and cpu gpu, but really nothing is a huge flaw, and it will still hold its own against the ipad, at least in the short term cause of the 2gb limit on games.

14. #34 Connector, Oct 25, 2012
    Yeah, I guess this could be confusing naming issue as well. Sigh... I'm surprised to hear some of you saying the ipad 5 is the mini, not the next generation full sized ipad, but I guess in someways, it could be thought of that way, I guess then the next ipad mini will be called the ipad mini 2, or new ipad mini, or ipad mini 2nd generation, or whatever.

But whatever it is called, I think it will have a retina screen and an a7 processor. If not in the next gen, the generation after.

I agree with the above, wait for the ipad 5, it will be awesome, the ipad is a rush job much like the new ipad. Apple has too many things going on like the lightning connector, losing samsung as a partner for touch screens, faster cpu, etc... Too rushed in my opinion.

The ipad will have flaws just like the new ipad had. The ipad 5 will not be as rushed as either of the past 2 versions, and will have competition from the Microsoft Surface, so it will be forced to become very console like and business like from the current ipads.

I am looking forward to the ipad 5, and if it is not good, I will leave ios for the Microsoft surface, cause I can't stand this lack of disk space.

And now that I mention it, that is the biggest flaw of the ipad, only 64 gb and no sd card. Yuck! I am getting sick of deleting apps everyday, losing game progress, and your ipad freezes constantly when you are deleting and installing new games. If you got a slow line, I can see it taking 2 hours for a game to load and your ipad just freezes all the time while it is doing so.

So, this is a huge flaw, and Microsoft will use it to their advantage fully. Just imagine us all, being jealous when surface users can have unlimited movies, games, photos, etc on external hard drives and have wireless bluetooth controllers.

Apple will be forced to do something about all of this, so I predict the Ipad 5 will be a HUGE change. The ipad now? Just an 's' version of the slightly flawed new ipad. I sure will be waiting for the ipad 5, just might upgrade to it if it has 128 gbs or an sd card or external hard drive interface.

15. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    Do you guys think preorders will sell out? I want to preorder tomorrow but I dont want to be up at 3AM ET to do so. Just wondering...I feel like it won't since most might have a 3rd gen and won't upgrade since its just a spec change. Thanks

16. I'm sure Apple stores will have plently on opening day. If i were not an apple fanboy, I might not even know about the ipad, there's been next to no press coverage about it. Almost like Apple isnt pushing it so hard.

17. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
  18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #39 Rip73, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    In ref to an iPad 4s, there won't be one in march. The iPad 5 will be roughly this time next year. Of that, you can absolutely have no doubt.

I'd give reasons but the post would end up too long as there are multiple aspects in relation to Apples new long term policy, market forces, supply chain (samsungs departure for eg), pr and too many other things to mention.

The restructured annual product cycle refresh was planned a long time before the iPad 3 hit the market.

And if they really thought they have to beat the Microsoft Slate, well then the iPad 4 does just that from Apples point of view.

It's now back to a yearly sept/oct pattern.

Plus, simply, Apple couldn't continue to launch an iPad refresh every March, three months after the biggest purchasing period in the year. Launching the refresh in time for the holiday season is the most logical step.

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I selling my iPad 3 this weekend guys :) excited to finally have stable framerates for my games!

Btw, anyone realize that this iPad just blows the PS Vita away in terms of hardware? The iPad 3 already had the same GPU, but if the iPad 4 really is twice as powerful then we could easily see games with AC liberation or Golden Abyss level graphics (or above). And at retina res or close. Awesome.