8gb or 16gb?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by endlesssssssss, Feb 7, 2009.

1. endlesssssssss

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm debating on whether or not to shell out the extra $70 for the larger size.

Those with the 8gb...do you have enough space for games, a few movies, and music? Or does Payback, Hero of Sparta, etc.. make it a constant trip to the iTunes?

2. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    8gb is enough for me and I have 9 pages of apps (including the ones you listed)

3. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    8GB is more than enough for me, with 9 pages of applications.

4. RaNd0m

RaNd0m Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    I have a 8gb and so long as you don't load it up with movies you'll be fine. Games rarely take up more than 25 mb's each but if you have over 2,000 songs you want to put in then yes... a 16gb is fine lol

5. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Definitely nicer to have a 16gb if you are going to put multiple movies on your device. For only apps and music though, I think that the 8gb is alright.

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    8gb is a lot of memory for just music and games. Videos use up lots of memory though. I'd say get a 16. (what I have)

7. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Get the 16, good games are only getting bigger in size. 8 just isn't enough if you have a large music library and lots of different tastes in music

8. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    wait for june/july. maybe new iPhone will arrive :)

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    16gb, absolutely worth the $$ for double capacity.

Or as someone said above, new iPhones usually come on June.

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I already have got 10gig of music on my iPhone!
    And at the moment it reaches the 15 with all apps etc.

11. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    it will prob be updated with the processor in the touch and maybe a 32GB version.

If that doesn't happen tho, this could: increase CPU clock speed to 1GHz and the RAM to 512MB like the new phone from toshiba, have a front camera for conference calls, video recording ability and higher mpx camera with xenon flash and optical zoom. Also could have a holographic projector.
    I would but it lol :D

anyway on the topic, so you are actually questioning to pay an extra 70 dollars to double the memory? Go for it I say..
    Realisticly tho, think about it. it's an extra 28% on top of something. If you can reason that buy spending that much more you are getting more than 28% worth, then it is a good buy. If you think it's not worth it, than obviously you will not like spending more for it.

12. endlesssssssss

Feb 7, 2009
    wow that was a really quick response

I'm not interested in purchasing an iPhone, so new gen in June doesn't concern me.

I have another Q, how much space does the OS alone take up? (fresh out of package w/o anything else)

13. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    An 8gig only has 7gigs of storage

14. TMAC34

TMAC34 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2008
    New York
    I have an 8 gig 2g iPhone, and there was no 16 gig when I got it. I reaaaalllllllyyyyyyyy wish i had the 16 gig, cuz I wish I could put more stuff on my iPhone. On iTunes I have 25 gigs of music, about a gig of apps, and like 50 music videos. I wish i had more space....: (

15. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Think about it, you're paying around 35% more (not exact or anything) for 100% more space if you upgrade from the 8 to 16 gig. Just get the 16 gig and you won't regret it.

16. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    It seems like enough people have chimed in, but I'll add my +1 to the "get the 16GB if you can afford it". I had to work hard to talk my wife into getting me the 8GB, but if I could have gone 16 I would have.

17. aleceiffel

aleceiffel Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    art supply buyer/artist
    Oregon
    im really glad i got a 16gb....i downsized my music and added movies...so this mine is more or less a movie/gaming device and 16 works perfect...
    i almost lament not getting the phone though...unlimited wifi would have been much better.....but im not sure about battery issues in using it for more things....maybe i need both? haha

18. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    to be fair tho, your not actually getting 100% more of everything because both models do exactly the same thing. You just have to decide if it will add to the experience of owning the device and if that extra bit of awesomeness is worth the 35%, or 27% here in Aus, of the total price. IMO it is, because syncing takes ages so it's good not having to change around all my videos so that I only have what I watch. Anyway, agreed "Just get the 16GB and you won't regret it." It's the best thing I own. Go for it :D!

19. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    its not like you would die with the 8 but i recommend 16...

20. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    Don't get 8gb. I've filled up all my space recently. And hearing about the 19.99 App store thing. I've already planned on grabbing a 16 or 32. But that's only if it comes out.