New guy interested in dev'ing for App store

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PSMOkizzle, Jan 19, 2009.

1. PSMOkizzle

PSMOkizzle Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    hey there, im new, and interested in becoming a dev!
    i'd like to create mostly 2D platformers/sidescrollers/adventure type somewhat open-ended games.
    but a while back, i heard that Apple charges u $100+ to become a dev.
    is that true??

if it helps, i've had experience in the MUGEN engine, so im not a ttotal stranger to coding, so what engine(s) would help me most in the 2D department in terms of it being easy to work with and looking professional at the same time?

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Yes, its true that you have to pay 100dollars to obtain the right to put apps onto the app store, which is a one time fee, but allowing you to put as many apps as you want out. As far as engines, unity does it all, but is expensive(6-700), and may be for more 3d games..... hmmm, have a dev get to you on that one

3. games42

games42 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I would assume you could create 2d basic games (such as scoops, up there and wurdle) in Unity as well? If not then what would you need to make games like that?

4. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Oh, i have no idea, im not doing the coding for my app, im doing concept and design, sorry!

5. PSMOkizzle

PSMOkizzle Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    hm. in that case, could i just piggyback off some other small dev team for free, or ask for a small cut of the profits?

6. PSMOkizzle

PSMOkizzle Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    so do u guys know any devs that i could go to?\im looking for a hand-drawn, gritty, style, not light-hearted like the examples games42 gave aha