The New iPad Retina Display Game Thread!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Borgqueenx, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

2. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Just got a new iPad the other day. Screen is not able to go as bright as my iPad 2, and it's more yellowish, where my iPad 2 was more blue. But the colors are brilliant, and the smoothness of the resolution is amazing. So overall, I'm pretty stoked.

So... here's my question. Which of these retina-ready games best show off the new ipad screen? I mean games where you can really see a noticeable difference, which maybe even improves gameplay a little (i.e. better visibility of approaching objects, or discernment of objects etc.)?

3. fury

fury Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 2, 2009
    #386 fury, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
    The reason for the change in apparent brightness is that it takes a lot more power to light four smaller pixels to the same effective brightness than it took to light up one. There isn't much they can do to make it brighter without draining battery life even more.

The change in color temperature to a warmer ("yellower") white is something iOS users have been encountering for a long time. My first iPhone in 2007 was bluish, as was my 3GS. I heard people who got the 3G were the first to come across this warmer color temperature. Then my iPhone 4 had that warmer, yellower tone. I stopped noticing after I stopped looking at my old phone. The same thing happened from iPad 2 to 3. My guess is that when they decided to crank up the res, they wanted a more natural color temperature that is ideal for viewing photos, one of the most likely uses of the insane res display. Some study somewhere [citation needed] said it may be easier on the eyes or something. It just may take some getting used to.

Real Racing 2 HD is one of my favorites to show off the retina display. Mainly because it also has 4xAA and thus jaggies are nearly imperceptible.

Even on games that are full retina resolution, if they don't use AA, you can very clearly see jaggies (e.g. CSR racing, Asphalt 6, Sky Gamblers Air Supremacy, Modern Combat 3, or Galaxy On Fire 2 HD). Not that it's ever terrible, mind you. The fact that any of these games run at this kind of resolution, on what is essentially a giant battery with smartphone guts attached to it, is amazing as it is. But I always marvel just a bit more at the games that can get away with AA at that resolution. When you lose the jaggies, you kinda lose yourself in the game experience, kind of like how text fades away into high quality print when you're reading web and email.

4. Bouncy1973

Bouncy1973 Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2012
    WTF!?

Half of the games mentioned here look awful on the new iPad! Terrible jaggy edges.

Just a few to mention: TowerMadness, Icarus-X, Muffin Knight and all of the Pangea titles, look as bad as they always were. I regret buying every single one of their games.

It's a joke what some people try to pass on as 'retina ready'!

5. Bouncy1973

Feb 9, 2012
  6. Bouncy1973

Feb 9, 2012
    Sorry, but that's how it should look on an original iPad or iPad 2 - Very poor.

7. Bouncy1973

Feb 9, 2012
  8. Bouncy1973

Feb 9, 2012
    #391 Bouncy1973, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    The actual game is retina ready, ALL of the rest isn't. Not any splash screen, title, screen buttons... Hell, even the icon isn't retina!

9. Bouncy1973

Feb 9, 2012
    A lot on this game is not retina-ready.

Sorry for the numerous posts, but dishonesty makes my blood boil

10. This one is great thread here we can search the all Games of ipad.

11. IronhideGames

IronhideGames Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Game developers
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Our game kingdom rush hd is retina for the new iPad :)

12. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Indeed. And it's one of the rare "true" Retina games out there. I don't think I've located anything that's not rendered to show up crystal clear on the new iPad. Way to go!

13. IronhideGames

IronhideGames Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Game developers
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Thanks!! Yeah, since we have all the assets in vectors we are able to create true retina display graphics :) thats the reason why KR looks great on the new iPad.

14. Pyroman31

Pyroman31 Active Member

Aug 16, 2010
    College
    California
    My game Tread of the Dead has full Retina support. :)

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I wish more people would keep this updated, love me some retina games.

Anyway, Supermagical fully supports it and is a great game to boot.

16. ivanovich

ivanovich Well-Known Member

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Crazy Bikers 2 is fully retina-enabled and has some beautiful "hand-drawn" artwork and character design to show off. Currently has a few issues with ads popping up in the free version (buying IAP disables them) but the devs have promised to fix the issue. Still a great game once you're past that problem.