Our first game released implementing In App Purchase

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BigEyeGuy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. BigEyeGuy

BigEyeGuy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Hi guys,
    yeah i know you dont care about game releases, but this one should be of interest to anybody looking to use In App Purchase for his app.
    Basically what we did is offer the game for free, it comes with unlimited offline games and with 5 free online games.
    if the user wants unlimited online games he purchases that through the App.
    Users who purchase the IAP also get extra difficulty level for offline games, game statistics, and access to all the achievements that are only available for online games.

Were taking a bit of a chance here, but we thought about it enough that it makes sense now.
    Anybody else facing the same issue?

I will update on our progress on this post.

By the way, apple just released the game once it was approved did not even check twice with us :), so word of warning to you guys.

check the game out, links in the signatures.
    tootels.
    [​IMG]
    Tarnegol Games, Tastes Like Chicken

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well the big crowd out there is not interested in multiplayer.. if you got a 5 minute break on the subway or wherever you consume your quick and fast casual game.. waiting for enough people to play online can be tedious..

so it could be tricky to ask money for a service which relies on a solid userbase using that service regular..

no point it paying for multiplayer if no one is playing.. right?

good luck with your game.

3. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    That is exactly what I was thinking as well. The trick to getting a good multiplayer game going is to get your community to reach critical mass that it supports itself via word-of-mouth marketing (just look at Words With Friends which is probably the single most popular multiplayer game on the App Store)

You essentially go from being a game designer to a community builder. Both are very valuable, but also very in depth, fields of expertise.

The best way I know of to do this is to offer online multiplayer for free and interact with your players and insure your presentation is extremely inviting and welcomes socializing.

Maybe you could slightly stunt the online multiplayer in the free version in some way, but you want as many people to play it as possible, so limiting how many games can be played would turn many off.

I'd also consider going the ad supported route instead of limiting anything on the free version.

4. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

#4 BazookaTime, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    I hope you don't mind me adding to the topic.

I picked up this game and it is very well done, it is certainly a bargain for free.

As for the pro option, $1.99 is certainly a reasonable price for this game but I am not sure how populated the online user base is going to be for this. The first game I played with two computer opponents took over ten minutes, not sure how many random matches someone will find when a game is going to take 10-15 minutes. Also, what happens when someone quits during a game?

I have found that online games on this platform need really big user bases to succeed, as there is nothing worse than an online game that no one is playing. I play a lot of Jangle online and there is always someone to play but then again the online is free (or you can pay .99 for 99 games with no wait) and an average game lasts only a couple of minutes.

I can see the Game Center multiplayer being used, is that $1.99 for unlimitd play with friends? I will be interested to see how this does, you may have been better off to just make it .99, free games always attract some low reviews from idiots.

Also...not a fan of the joker card, doesn't seem to fit the theme of the game. Edit...meaning the picture on the joker card, not the joker card itself.

5. BigEyeGuy

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks BazookaTime, you raised a good point.
    We did consider lowering the points needed to be eliminated from the game (if you played it you know what i mean :) ) from 200 to 100, that might be something we do if we get enough feedback on the matter.

regarding the gamecenter with friends question, if you click on quick match, it will match you up with the first available online game, so you dont have to set one up with friends.

6. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Seems like a good idea but you're going to have to hope people love multiplayer. Why not make it so all the achievements are only available after IAP along with the other stuff? Then at least you have the achievement whores making purchases :D

7. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I love your company logo.

Also, good luck with the app. Looking forward to hear how it goes.

8. NikosX

NikosX Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Game Designer
    this post you made was in February! so how did your game go in the Appstore BigEyeGuy?

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    he joined in february.. his post was done 3 days ago :D hehe

10. BigEyeGuy

Feb 15, 2011
    LOL

so heres an update, we've been at #1 at the Israeli AppStore for the last couple of days. its been downloaded around 13,000 times already and were looking at a conversion rate of 1%, which is more or less the conversion rate that MOST apps get.

next target is to improve multiplayer experience even more, make games shorter and faster, and push for the North American Market

Yeah, so most achievement (27 out of 32) are only available on multiplayer,
    so we did actually do that in a way :)

11. Liv Games

Liv Games Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Founder, CEO Liv Games
    USA
    ani machil lachem mazal tov!

When we did FAAD our conversion to iap was about 3.4%.

cheers

12. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Dont make another post like this or I will send you to the other forum LOL.

13. NikosX

NikosX Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Game Designer
    LOL... i figured it out next day... I was almost 15 hours in front of screen and my mind got blurry... anyways!

good luck with your game BigEyeGuy, I found out a place today called www.twiends.com you might want to make a small campaign for your game there! i am pretty excited about this site

14. BigEyeGuy

Feb 15, 2011
    Toda Raba Orian :)
    Legendary wars looks great and has collectibles, we hope to implement something of that nature to get the collectable crazy people on the Yaniv train.

Thanks for the tip, FAAD is definitely something i want to get on to

15. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    A question about in-app purchase: what is the lowest and highest available price point that can be used?

16. Liv Games

Liv Games Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Founder, CEO Liv Games
    USA
    Lowest - $0.99 cents

Highest $99.99 (Usually reserved for the casual farming premium)

Anywhere in between.

17. digiva

digiva Member

May 18, 2011
    Thanks.. :)