Looking for advices on launching a paid camera app (Blackberry 10 Time Shift-like)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ericlu2006, Jul 12, 2013.

1. ericlu2006

ericlu2006 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2012
    I have been researching the promotion techniques on the forums for some times. Mostly, discussions are around promoting free games. There is very little discussion on promoting paid apps or games. I will write up a quick checklist for the launch.

A quick overview about the app. It is called "Rewind Camera Pro - Time Shifting". We are doing the final testing and will be submitted to App Store in few days. Here are a couple of youtube demo videos for the app:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeQEaTI4yuo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkpwHCdWWN8

As you can see, it is very similar to Blackberry 10's Time Shift Camera. The difference is that the Blackberry 10 has a hardware component and ours is completely based on software. We have put some special processing so our users can have the same user experience as the Blackberry 10 camera as far as performance and response time. One feature we have that is lacking in Blackberry 10 camera is that you can manually add faces to a photo (this is perfect for taking picture with pets). We are also very pride that we can support the native camera resolution on iPhone 5 despite the CPU and memory intensive image processing needed for this app.

Here is my launching check list:

* Pricing. We will set a premium price for the app at $2.99. There is no IAP. Our rationale is that we have invested over 9 months of R&D on this app and we are not aware of any other app in App Store that can do this. We may do on sale at $1.99 or $0.99 during the initial launch to get some burst.

* Press Release. We have used the prMac in the past. Do you suggest other PR services we can use?

* Featured by Apple. Most of our games are featured by at the game sub-categories by Apple. But we have never been feature at the store's "New and Noteworthy" or main category (Photo&Video)'s "New and Noteworthy". How would you suggest we can approach Apple for this? The Blackberry 10 Time Shift camera is one of big-time differentiating features that Blackberry uses in the marketing against Apple or other smartphones. Since our app is iOS exclusively, I would think Apple will love the idea to have an app for iPhone that can do the same thing as the Blackberry's.

* Promotions. Is there any way to buy downloads for paid app? I know that it is a big no-no to promote a paid app on Chartboost. Will Facebook Mobile Ad install be effective for a paid app like this?

Sorry for the long postings. Let us know if I miss anything. Your comments and advices are highly appreciated.

Eric Lu
    Toccata Tech

2. ericlu2006

ericlu2006 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2012
    The app is approved and is now available now in App Store. We are doing the launch sale at $0.99 for 3 days.

Here is the link:

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.