Working Together to Create a Standardized "Joystick"!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by simplymuzik3, Jan 1, 2010.

1. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Hey everyone. We have an idea for an iPhone app that requires a "joystick". Something like the iControlPad (google that if you have never seen it). But we don't want to produce a joystick and then have 10 different external control "joysticks" going around. That's why we would like to create a standard joystick. Something that everyone can use. If enough developers agree on creating a standard system right now, we can save lot's of hassle in the future.

So what were looking for:

- People who know how to get external accessories to "interact" with an iPhone/iPod Touch
    - How to program/wire buttons and controls so the iPod will even recognize them
    - People who can create an API that is available for everyone to use. Then you can just drag and drop a few files into your project, and then just use some simple code to detect button presses (ex. if (buttonApressed ==YES) {...})

We have a rough idea about what the product should look like:
    - PSP-ish style
    - it WILL have Left/Right shoulder buttons
    - A D-Pad on the left
    - 4 buttons on the right

Thats the very basic idea we have. The device will snap into the middle of the device, so it will kind of look like a PSP when the device is "docked".

If you have any experience or would like to be a part of this, please post! Also spread the link to this thread to other developers! Im surprised that NOBODY has made an external controller yet for the iPhone/iPod that works with App Store games!

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Is this legal? Dont mean to put you down but apple might not like it.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    So exactly like the iControlPad prototype except with shoulder buttons on the top?

[​IMG]

4. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Why would they incorporate support for external accessories in 3.0 and not allow this?

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    They did that? I didnt even know...

6. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio

7. thewiirocks

thewiirocks Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Expert Software Engineer
    #7 thewiirocks, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Why not? Competition is good for business.

What you need is not a standard joystick, but a standard for joysticks. i.e. The minimum buttons they should have to be supported, the interface by which they will be used, etc. Basically, all the stuff your game will need to know to provide support.

FWIW, there is no way to shortcut the market competition. If peripheral controllers turn out to be a big thing for the market (which I somewhat doubt, to be perfectly honest) then someone will money and pull will manage to introduce a "must-have" device that is incompatible with all the other devices. The best you can expect to do is blunt the blow by having a standard interface which (if you're lucky) that device will support.
    ________
    Vaaapp vaporizer

8. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Have you asked customers if they want an external joystick accessory?

9. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    leave the physical controls to nintendo and sony imo. Every day more and more people are getting used to touch screen controls. Not to mention it requires more hand to eye coordination to operate such a platform.

10. Dizturbing Appz

Dec 28, 2009
    Dev
    Honduras
    I dont kno about any of u other guys but i think its a great idea but its exactly how u described icontrol pad! :(

What i would buy(since im a COD type of guy) would be a xbox 360-ish controller with 2 thumbsticks like for playing NOVA or maybe even Eliminate Pro or even Real Racing since im used to the r trigger being accelerate...

But we should wait til little kids want the ipod touch more than their nintendo ds or psp (hopefully in may heheh). :D

11. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    but little kids should have a DS and not an ipod. all the good kids games are TAP aND DRAW or DRAG, why would they need it? I would want a game controller for my ipod yes, but anytime i see a 5 or 6 year old with his own iphone or ipod touch, i want to smack his/her parents.

12. Dizturbing Appz

Dec 28, 2009
    Dev
    Honduras
    Idk theres alot of kid games on ipod touch like rolando or doodle jump,bookworm, tetris, peggle etc....

Well for 5 or 6 year olds yea i understand cuz those kids must be spoiled if they got an ipod touch.

U got a point there they ipod touch is still relatively "new"
    but if the kid has an IPHONE i kinda burst out telling long stories like my grandpa! :mad:

13. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    EXACTLY! all those games you named, which ones needed a control pad? They were some simple accelerometer and touch to play. The parents of young kids should like think about getting an ipod fopr their kids around 10 11 or 12. Buy one for yourself and share it with your kid, but I hope your not going to be 'pwning' noobs with your 6 year old on COD zombies NOVA or etc...

14. Dizturbing Appz

Dec 28, 2009
    Dev
    Honduras
    Lol im only 14 but its pretty true what ur saying but if the ipod touch was become a worlwide gaming device i think it be pretty epic to me but a little overwhelmed since not that many users would buy over $9.99 for apps maybe thats why gta hasnt come out yet. But i guess the same if there gonna consider a joystick when they already bought the $200 ipod touch. There probably thinking that it should come with it! But who knows, Apple usually surprises me but usually in a bad way hehehe.

Oh yea and whats so bad about pwning noobs with little kids on NOVA or Eliminate they could always start early hehehehehe :D