Rise of the Elders, a lovecraftian XCOM

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by StrangeMAtter, Feb 7, 2017.

1. StrangeMAtter

StrangeMAtter Member

Feb 6, 2017
  2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Mythos, nice ;) Huge Lovecraft fan here, will keep an eye out for the iOS launch. Cthulhu fhtagn.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #3 Ayjona, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    I've seen this claim from several developers, but it is patently false. Rebuild 3 included the iOS version among its reward tiers, and delivered (I should know, I was a fervent backer :) ). Whatever trick Sarah Northway used to make this happen doesn't seem to be common knowledge, however, so I'm not pointing an accusatory tentacle in your direction!

That said, this looks astoundingly interesting! And highly polished. I'll admit that I might be the archetypical target audience, though, H.P. and TBS fan as I am :)

From the Kickstarter, it really seems like you are doing the whole XCOM thing in excess, base management and tactical combat and multiple teams to send across the world to combat the threats of the Mythos and an advancing time scale and XCOM-like character progression, all wrapped upp in H.P./Mythos trappings! Do I have that right? If so, that an absolute dream so dark and alluring I've never before dared dream it ;)

Given the narrative roots of the setting, I'm particularly curious how you plan to handle the writing. Will the game be heavy on plot and narrative? Is the writing handled by someone with experience?

4. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    That ios reward thing, very true

Well, it seems almost impossible that IOS is putting a big block.
    However, they certainly are making things difficult.
    We can just see Twilight Struggle's KS campaign.
    They didn't have IOS codes for everyone at first.
    However, some time later I "complained" that I'd rather have IOS than android(which was what I had pledged for, and they agreed to change the pledge and gave me a code for IOS.

As such, even though they are a pain, they will do things. If you need help, just ask playdeck how they did it :)

By the way, the game looks very interesting, will be following it and will probably buy for IOS.

Best of luck :)

5. wondroushippo

wondroushippo 👎🏻carter👎🏻
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 4, 2010
    Male
    Ex-TA, now I do PR
    San Antonio, TX
    I mean, in general, what this dev is doing is the right idea, but I've heard of devs contacting Apple about crowdfunding stuff like this in order to get a solution figured out. Of course, I imagine it's easier if you're Sarah Northway with several iOS games under your belt and have an Apple contact, too.

6. StrangeMAtter

StrangeMAtter Member

Feb 6, 2017
    #6 StrangeMAtter, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Thank you for your support guys!
    I carefully took note of all your input regarding the Apple policy issue... Following up as we speak. If we manage to find a way, you'll be first to know! :)

@Ayjona:
    Mmh... That's intriguing! I just sent Sarah an email over Kickstarter to see how she made it happen! Basically what we found out is that you are allowed to give 100 free versions per update. So we'd have to give 100 versions, then update the game, give 100 more, etc. The only alternative we found is to gift, but that sounds even more troublesome: you need to buy the game once, then gift it, buy it again, gift it again, etc And even if you do that with the price set on the lowest, you'd still loose money to Apple, taxes, etc.
    We are clearly open to suggestions here. If there is a way, then we'd be happy to immediately open the campaign to iOS pledges. I am an iPhone5s player myself and it breaks my heart that we can't include iOS right from the start ;-(

Yep, pretty much :) I guess you could say it's a mix between XCOM/Halcyon6 and the board game Eldritch Horror. You won't be able to handle as many people as in XCOM though... The big difference is that in XCOM your soldiers don't interact with the base - here, your Investigators are used both to visit Contacts (base interactions) and to go solve Encounters with the Mythos (turn by turn combat).

No, no heavy plot I am afraid. On the contrary, we wanted to avoid a thick storyline that's playable only once... We leave that to all the survival horror games out there! :)
    since we have that tactical approach, we wanted to focus on creating a sandbox experience that allows you to replay the game with a different story each time. So the way it works is pretty simple... On one hand we have a macro story divided in chapters => to complete a chapter you need to complete certain objectives (like studying 3 relics for instance) and completing chapters brings you closer to winning the game. On the other hand, we have a very dynamic world that's filled with random events like Encounters, Investigations, Expeditions... On top of that your characters also trigger all kinds of random events based on what they are doing or what their disorders are. Our goal is to have your Investigators 'drive' the story you experience.

@Avaniar:
    Yeah we saw that campaign too.. Twilight Struggle(d) quite a bit with iOS! I guess they answered a few requests (like yours) by gifting the game themselves. I'll try to reach out to playdek!
    Btw, fyi - I think the campaign of Republic had that problem too...

7. StrangeMAtter

StrangeMAtter Member

Feb 6, 2017
    #7 StrangeMAtter, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    Quick update about the Apple policy issue:

@Ayjona:
    I asked Sarah how she managed to offer iOS versions in her pledges and she answered "Actually I didn't; I mention iOS in the Rebuild 3 description but the rewards are Android-only"
    Sarah gave me some good tips though... like using of the 100 test slots (or is it 1000 now?) to make a limited iOS pledge. I'll need to investigate that...
    Btw, Sarah seems like a super nice person :) I think she even pledged some money :p

@Avaniar:
    I looked up the Playdek project but they haven't completed their KS it seems. Unless you were talking about something else?

8. StrangeMAtter

StrangeMAtter Member

Feb 6, 2017
  9. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I'd buy this. Looking forward to following this thread.

10. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Yeah, I was thinking something similar, like making an iOS tier limited to 100 backers. Guess you can't change the tiers though now that it has started...

Regardless, the game looks great, but I think you guys haven't gotten the word out especially well just yet. I just mentioned it in the Kickstarter thread over at Quarter to Three. If anyone frequents other forums, Reddit etc, make sure people know about it (hard to support a project if you don't know it exists).

11. StrangeMAtter

StrangeMAtter Member

Feb 6, 2017
    We can't change the tiers but we could add a new one! Since we'll have 100 free versions though we'll probably limit it to 50 or so (so we have enough versions left to send to the press)

Yeah... it's really hard to get the word out nowadays! Any help is more than welcome :)

I am going to create another thread where I'll just post our design updates (like a dev log)

12. StrangeMAtter

StrangeMAtter Member

Feb 6, 2017