When retardation sets in!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

#1 Syndicated Puzzles, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    Here is an embarrassing story I don't mind sharing. Pay attention to detail.....

Str8ts had a strange bug that made it crash and go to the main screen usually after playing the first ten games. ( some devices) Complained to our developers and received a patch to submit to iTunes for 1.4. Everything was great and the patch really did work . This was Nov.19 last year. So I submitted the patch 1.5 , the next day. I went about my business. Two weeks later the same complaints started to be sent to us regarding the same bug. So I complained to our guys again they looked and couldn't find anything. I sent the same code from the 19th to three other developers to see if they could find a bug.A couple of hundred bucks later, no luck they all thought the code was streamlined and no bugs were to be found. So my excuse was it must be the device of the user. Fending off a hand full of complaints the issue kind of faded away even though the app was still crashing on occasion.

Yesterday I got an email from someone who really wanted the update 1.5 that was mentioned on our website. So I responded that the latest version was on iTunes. He was persistent and told me twice it was 1.4. So I checked it out and sure enough 1.5 was never submitted.

So almost six months past and we never caught the mistake until some outsider complained about it enough for us to take a closer look at what the problem was.( in plain view for everyone to see)

This definitely is worthy of the "TouchArcade Developer Dink" of the Year Award" (TADD)

I still can't believe I did this!

2. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Haha and here was I thinking you were about to start abusing your customers!! We all make mistakes such as those now and then so rest assured you are probably not the only one, just the bravest :)

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Haha...The customer is always right, right? :)

4. TheQuadsphere

TheQuadsphere Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2009
  5. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    Haha yay. You're saying I can play str8ts again now, Jeff?

Really glad you finally found the 'bug', so to speak. :p

6. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

What really makes the story stranger is that I did get the promo codes from Apple for that submission. So I am not quite sure what happened?

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Blame it on Ufkah! ;)