Official "KillTest" Trailer/Gameplay (LiveFire's new name)!!!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Vinny554, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

At first this game looked amazingly awesome, now it looks awesomely amazing (yeah, thats a step higer):

YouTube Link

2. aboll2009

aboll2009 Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    School
    Atlantis
    Lame name, Great game.

Haha I made a funny. Get it? Its funny cause it rhymed

3. SoCal_Sponger

SoCal_Sponger Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2009
    for some reason it just doesnt sound complete with "test" in it...KillTest? Your gonna test some kills? Meh. Could of created a better name.

4. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #4 Adams Immersive, Jun 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
    I like the old name MUCH better, and it had some mindshare you'd think might benefit them. Maybe they'll change it back and enjoy the free PR of people hating the name "KillTest" :)

But who cares? Whatever the name, I love the trailer and am EAGERLY awaiting this :) (I'll assume the trailer was done on a 3GS, just so I don't get my hopes too high!)

EDIT: Just noticed the grappling hook thingy. Cool. And it looks like there's a low gore mode? (Logos popping out if the fraggee at the very end.) I approve. Not that I think gore is a crime, but it's nice to have a game I can play in front of anyone if I wish.

5. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA

Saw this a little bit ago. Looks absolutely awesome, and looks like they improved the graphics a bunch since their demo of it who knows when.

6. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    #6 randomdude, Jun 12, 2009
    no bluetooth support o well. I wonder what people could do with the grappling hook.... - The A-Team video rolls-
    This game is going to kick ass!

7. Retean

Retean Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2009
    they named it kill test because of the concept...which is u r in this program run by a company to test our various armor and their combat worthiness...

8. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Is BT P2P usable in OS 3.0 only for two-player games? Just wondering. But even if so, 1-on-1 is a likely scenario anyway. So I hope they add BT--especially for Touch owners.

Anyway, I'm excited. So excited that I think... I think... I think I DO want to buy a rocket launcher for 99 cents!!! :)

(Yes, I know that isn't really how it will be.)

I like the old name, but that does make sense.

9. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Maybe if they named it Kill Corp, that would be nice. I did like Livefire better

10. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    I'm gonna still call it LiveFire. I don't care about the new name, LiveFire is better. Who's with me?

11. JavierDavalos

JavierDavalos Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I just don't know, i haven't seen a FPS that is playable on the iPhone yet, i have my doubts with this one too. I find myself fighting with the controls on each and every one of them.

I mean, Quake 3 arena has been available for the longest time with the best graphics on the iphone and super smooth framerates but it really doesn't appeal to me with the controls it has.

12. astrosaurus

astrosaurus Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Designer/Blogger
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, agreed. LiveFire was a much, much better name. What a nice trailer! If I knew nothing about this I never would have guessed it was an iPhone trailer. It's not up there with consoles, but for a mobile game this is extremely impressive.

13. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #13 Adams Immersive, Jun 12, 2009
    FPS control CAN be done right on iPhone. It can also be done wrong :eek: I agree that most FPS controls so far have been lacking, but I think the basic moving and aiming in KillTest/LiveFire will feel very good, and FAR better than any D-pad aiming, virtual-joystick aiming, or accelerometer aiming. And I'm hoping the rest of the controls (grappling, weapons) are just as good.

I've been playing on my own with FPS control schemes on iPhone and had a lot of false starts before settling on the best method. (I'm a big desktop FPS fan.) LiveFire doesn't have quite the same scheme I plan to use (my scheme has manual jumping and firing, while LiveFire has auto-fire IIRC). But from what I've seen/read it DOES do the main thing an FPS needs to do to work GREAT on iPhone:

Split the screen and use two side-by-side "trackpads." Trackpad aiming is like mouse aiming--and that's the best FPS control you can get! Much better than XBox or PSP aiming, in fact. On the left, the different ways to move/strafe are less important, but I like the trackpad method for that too (actually, swipe gestures, I hope) for that too. Because a "trackpad" can be big (no need to hit a particular spot with your thumb) AND it can be invisible--nothing crowding your view!

(If you want a glimpse of this mouse-style aiming on an iPhone, try the single-player Dark Hill. The graphics are simple but the music is good, as are the controls--with the exception of an odd firing system, but it does the job. The left side uses a regular analog stick for strafing--which is OK. But the right side does NOT use a joystick, it uses a big half-screen "trackpad" just like I believe KillTest does, and just like my own testing has made me prefer. The one slightly confusing thing is that Dark Hill SHOWS a joystick on the right--it moves to reflect what you do--but you can ignore it. It doesn't matter whether you tap on the stick or someplace else on the right side. Just ignore the visible stick and use the right side like a trackpad. You'll be aiming just like a REAL desktop FPS :) )

I don't know exactly how KillTest handles moving and jumping (and frankly, jumping in FPS games always seemed silly and platformerish anyway) but I'm 99% sure it will control really well, and I can't wait! A real FPS at last :D

(P.S. Don't wait for any FPS from me! Someday, some year, I'd like to do one, but this was just playing around for my own amusement. Gearball is not an FPS.)

14. Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Definitely me. :D

KillTest is an absolutely awful name. If they were going to change it away from LiveFire which had sort of grown on me I think it would have been hard to pick a worse name than they did.

15. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Hmm... worse names :rolleyes::
    How's this:
    -The killing (this is worse!)
    -destroyer (sounds really cheap! :D)
    -iKill (help! Crappy name)
    -killer ( :/ )

Tell me if you think these are worse :D.

Hello??? ngmoco guys are you still here? Why did you rename the game??? :(

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Perhaps this is the reason they changed it:
    http://www.starwars.com/games/playnow/livefire/

You don't want to mess with George Lucas' lawyers ;)
    It's the same industry...games.

They wouldn't change it just for fun. After promoting the old title it would be stupid to change it. But I could imagine, someone from the Star Wars universe saw the first Apple presentation and contacted them to move on a dangerous field...

So, this could be the reason...

17. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    wow this looks amazing...and i think they kinda took thename frome the killzone series

18. Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009

Kill has such awful connotative associations. Right up there with murder. Bad decision in either case.

No big deal. The game is the game and not the name and I'm still buying but KillTest is just yuck...

19. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    I know what you mean--"kill" being right in the name turns me off even though I tolerate the in-game cartoony gore just fine! Weird.

Proposed compromise, which respects both LucasFilm's lawyers AND the game's "weapons testing" premise, while evoking the original name and avoiding "kill": the name could be "FireTest". Or better yet, a play on "trial by fire:" the name could be "FireTrial".

But yes, I'm buying all the same :) And I hope the creators are enjoying the naming "controversy"... I know I would :)

20. xVietx

xVietx Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    It looks fantastic and I'm probably gonna buy it the minute that I see it released. Like most people, I like the original name better. I still don't understand why they changed the name though someone probably said it but I just missed it.

The auto-fire system is great in my opinion. It's difficult to move around as well as fire on the iDevice already so this'll make it fun and interesting although it won't be as hard or as satisfying when I kill someone now.