iOS fragmentation on armv7 capable devices ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MikeSz_spokko, Nov 5, 2012.

1. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Hey there,

I was looking for some numbers on Google but couldn't find them. So maybe someone here knows ;)

We're finishing our latest game and we're wondering if there's any point supporting iOS4 at all. It did make a lot of sense a few months back (when you could still build for armv6 normally), but nowadays it seems to me like it's a waste of effort

After all it doesn't matter how many iOS devices run iOS 5+, what matters is how many "modern" iOS devices are on iOS5+. Or to put it in different words - how many 3GS/iphone4/iPad1 devices did not update to iOS5

Does anyone have any info on that or anything to point me in the right direction ?

2. VRPgames

VRPgames Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Ireland
    You can support iOS4 if your game doesn't have features that are only available in iOS 5-6. There are many people who just don't bother updating their system to the latest iOS but their devices 3GSs, iPad1 and iPhone 4 support armv7. All my games are armv7 only and I support minimum 4.3.

3. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    I know. The thing is - is there any point in supporting them or not ? If we have things like Twitter, Facebook and some others that will work on iOS5 or higher only, is there any point in creating switchable menus for iOS4 ?

Really wondering about the number here - is it 1% ? 2% ? 10% ?

4. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Here's an iOS version chart that's updated weekly: http://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

All armv7 devices can run at least 5.1.x so personally I don't see much point supporting anything lower. You increase your workload quite a bit by continuing to support 4.3:

• There's no 4.3 simulator
    • You need your own offline caching/resubmit code for Game Center (iOS 5/6 do it for you)
    • Some Obj-C features (e.g. ARC) aren't fully supported on iOS 4.3
    You'll almost certainly need to compile with LLVM GCC 4.2 as well due to changes in the standard C/C++ libs in newer iOS versions. Apple has made it clear that GCC won't be updated and will completely disappear sooner rather than later, so migrating away from that would be in your best interest.