Question About Re-Installing After Deletion (Newbie)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by undeadcow, Jan 1, 2011.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    I understand if I download an app and delete it I can re-download it and the App Store will not charge me but I want to make sure I have my bases covered before I start deleting.

1. Is there a time limit or once I've downloaded an app on the device will it be forever "free" to re-download?

2. Does the app have to be backed up on Itunes or is the purchase information stored locally on the device itself? I download almost exclusively on my Touch 3G and rarely hook it to Itunes (only have work computer without sofeware installation access).

I'm assuming if the above 2 questions are favorable I can purchase and delete from my device to maintain the storage by just re-downloading when I want to play and deleting when inactive. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    No it does not have a time limit and no you don't have to back it up in iTunes.

3. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    As long as the app is available in the appstore, you can re download it anytime you wish. You're purchase history is stored with apple and it doesnt matter if you back it up in itunes or not.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #4 undeadcow, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    Thanks crex, ImNoSuperman, and fusionbeat for the quick replies! Apple seems impressive in this customer support.

Goodbye Spider-man and Heroes of Sparta II; Hello Broken Sword: Director's Cut freebie...

5. fusionbeat

fusionbeat Active Member

Dec 23, 2010
    For question 2, your purchases are linked to whichever account you purchased them with originally. For example, if you bought Street Fighter IV, deleted it, and then re-downloaded it using the account you originally paid for it with, it will be free forever, regardless of if they update it or not. It does not need to be backed up on iTunes for you to download it again for free.

For question 1, I don't know if it stays re-downloadable indefinitely, but it seems to be. I downloaded Kroll over a year ago and again just less than a month ago, and it still came up with the 'You have already purchased this item. Would you like to download it again for free?' message.