A way to stop jailbreakers!!!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Liam2010, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I run around with the JB crowd, but I don't pirate my games. I support devs.

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    Just so this rings through:

Using large fonts and bright colors does not make your argument any more convincing.

Also, I never said every pirated copy is a lost sale; but it's unreasonable to expect that none of them were lost sales, also. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle; not every pirated app is helping developers, but not all of them are lost sales, either.

3. 2hvy4grvty

2hvy4grvty Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Cool, but none of that disputes any part of my statement.

4. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    IAP purchases do not combat piracy. The majority of them are just extra files and can be easily added. You could have server based authentication, but you could have that when the app is purchased, too. And it's not enough to stop 80% of crackers - once your app is cracked, everyone just copies that, as Strofolino found out somewhere (I don't remember exactly but two crackers copied each other's app and said each other had stolen it).

5. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    LOL
    Not just anyone can change <key>IncludeBonusContent</key><false/> to <key>IncludeBonusContent</key><true/>

6. Papa Sangre

Papa Sangre Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Extreme but effective

I just eat a pirate's soul.

7. gfxdaddy

gfxdaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Male
    Illustrator | Web | Graphic | Digital Publishing D
    London, UK
    #27 gfxdaddy, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    This is getting really tiring.

Jailbreaking is NOT piracy. They are two different things, and it surprises me how few people understand this...if it was wrong then the US government would not have made it legal. If it was wrong VideoLan would not have moved to Cydia from the AppleStore. Some of us are far more technical and demand using our devices (no matter what the manufacturer) to the fullest, not having them crippled by the likes of Apple or anyone else.

Challenge to you: jailbreak your iPhone and see how much better it can be with apps like BiteSMS, Notified and SBSettings. If you don't like it, you can always restore, no harm done.

8. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    #28 vbxz47, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
    Nope you are all wrong. I know for fact there is away around it. I don't pirate, I'm not even jailbroken right now and I'm also not supporting it in anyway but there is a way. It is less common(more difficult) but if developers keep using IAPs though, it will be seen more. What you do is download the iap file from the Internet to your pc, then go into iTunes and add the IAP through some coding changes to the app. Viola, so no there isn't really away. I'm sorry that devs experience this horrible problem but it will never stop, plain and simple.

Wow didn't see your guys posts. Nevermind.

9. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Jailbreaking is kind of dead at the moment anyway. Sure, there are those few people so attached to minor settings tweaks and MXTube* that they will stick with an old OS or go through the pain of a tethered Jailbreak rather than use a standard OS. The real measure of how many people are Jailbroken is to ask my 14 and 16 year old sons how many of their friends are doing it.

Sometimes (like when the Jailbreakme web based exploit existed) the answer was "Everyone", other times like now (and when 3.0 first came out) the answer is "hardly anyone".

My guess is that the _vast_ majority of those who were Jailbroken with Jailbreakme are currently running standard 4.2.1 and planning to re-Jailbreak if an easy method is ever released again.

* Because as every Jailbreaker on TA constantly points out, "not all Jailbreakers are pirates"...