Monkey Land 3D w/free download codes!

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by Ashes, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Thank You for the review! I really wish I could watch you play but judging by what you write about the controls I think your not moving the joystick far enough from the dead center. You can jump really high from standing still by pushing the stick far from center in a forward direction. Some people will try to use the gyro to go forward but tilting only controls the camera.

So on that ship level where they say grab some props and a mask there is a helmet, a shield and a SWORD it's on the platforms and you have to jump up to get it :) At least you tried! Here these pics might help you understand how to jump high, press the joystick fully up like 75% up the screen. These guys are in the game to help you out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remember the objective almost always is to find and open the treasure with the exception of The great Pumpklin Seed mission which is about saving the seed! The timer is just there to give you bonus points at the end and keep you from taking to long and just sucking it up basically lol. Kind of like Mario ya know, you never really run out of time i mean you have 600 sec in Monkey Land 3D levels so it's just there to remind you it's a game really.

The humor in the game is pretty juvenile I agree 100%.

"perhaps make the height of the jump dependent upon how long the button is held rather than running speed" I really like this idea, thanks!

I don't have an editor and I feel bad for that :( It's so sad my mom is working on reading over it and the next version should have at least 3x less spelling mistakes.

There is a full fledged ending if you find all the treasures but updates will be coming out later with bug fixes and such. You are helping me make a better game so pat yourself on the back TRB4 you really are appreciated and I read every word of your post positively :)

-Matt
    @FMJgames

2. Xissoric

Xissoric Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I really don't like asking for codes, feels kind of weird, but I'd really like to give this game a shot. If there are any left would you be able to send one my way please?

3. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Sent ya one! I think that's it everyone, so far all these gamers got a code!

Xissoric
    NOEN
    planckboy
    slammajamma28
    bigrand1
    repapermunky
    Gwarmaxx
    Lavos
    Keitch83
    smes3817
    Lazer Kat
    Bloodangel
    flyordiedays
    bigred447uk
    cloudpuff
    tunaVille
    wingsofdestiny89
    mako9227
    meitantei
    DJEmergency
    Gamer1st
    Seiza616
    minhonow
    Avatre
    AnarKitty
    chapel07
    speed4mee s
    imjhonfre
    SyDragon
    irwannatana3l
    TRB4
    marclimkopi
    yearoftherat

Thanks to all of you for checking Monkey Land 3D out!

-Matt
    @FMJgames

4. TRB4

TRB4 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2013
    #64 TRB4, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    I am glad that you were able to read my comments positively. I tried playing again after reading your tips about jumping and I did have a better time after realizing that, like you said, I had to move my finger waaaaay up the screen (like 75% like you said). I didn't realize that the virtual joystick was so big. the on screen representation is very small, so I figured that at most I should only move my finger to just above the joystick (like in the pictures you posted).

So thank you for clarifying that. However, even with that knowledge, the jumping is still pretty "loose". I would love to play this game with tighter controls, as the level designs seem pretty cool. As for collecting all of the bananas per level, with the current controls that seems ridiculously frustrating. I really wish that I could play this game with a physical controller, because I believe that it would fix a lot of these issues.

Thank you for your response :)

5. socom39

socom39 Well-Known Member

Got any codes left? I would be happy to leave an App Store review along with impressions in your games thread!

6. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Alright I can do one more for you! Enjoy!

7. mako9227

mako9227 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    Code received! Thank you!

8. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    Thank you Ashes, but I didn't really want a code. I was only trying to clarify some confusion.

If someone wants a code, PM me.

9. skeletonlord

skeletonlord Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Ooh, this looks like an interesting game! :)

I'll leave a review for the game!

10. tunaVille

tunaVille Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2013
    Code Received!! Thank you Matt Matte going to download right now. Nice name btw

11. socom39

socom39 Well-Known Member

Monkey Land 3D is without a doubt a gorgeous game visually on my iPad. Personally playing for the first time took me back to when 3D platform games were just becoming a thing all the way back on my ps1.The gameplay is very straight forward as all you are required to do is finish a level by simply finding the exit. Along the way however the game challenges you to collect enough bananas by jumping around various obstacles. Nothing here is very unique or new to genre this is just a proven formula that works. The characters you encounter and the overall theme of the game are defiantly on point with the atmosphere created. My biggest issue with the entire experience came in the form of an annoying camera that only could be adjusted by tilting your device like a steering wheel. Personally I was disappointed that I couldn't go into an options menu and turn that feature off in favor of just dragging on the edge of my screen. Additionally I would like to see more challenging levels with different approaches as it does seem to get repetitive. However the developer seems to be dedicated towards this game and I'm defiantly looking forward to any future updates!

12. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Thank you for the review! Those early 3D games are definitely an inspiration for the game. Mario 64, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooi are all games I loved growing up so I really wanted to put something like that on iPhone.

The gameplay is straight forward but with a catch. There are hidden items and even a treasure chest in each level that get harder and harder to open. If you reach the end of the game you will find out if you have found all the Treasures so if you want you could just find the exit, if you want to see the bonus ending level and really beat the game you will need to unlock every single Dead Mans Chest!

I am working on getting an options menu where you can slide the camera around and I've heard that request come up before. I am looking into it and hopefully a later update will add that feature :)

If you want more challenging levels just realize that there is a key hidden on each level and part of the fun in the game is that you explore it :) Thank you for the review!

Here is a video of me playing btw so people can see.

13. mako9227

mako9227 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    I'm really liking the game so far and the only thing I would change is the camera controls. The tilt control is a good idea in theory but it's just too slow and lacks the precision necessary for a platforming game, especially when you are racing against the clock. I would recommend at least making it an option to drag on the screen in order to control the camera. Other than that great job! Keep up the good work!

14. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Cool thanks for playing and that is so going in as soon as I figure out how :) The camera turn and holding down jump for higher jumping is another option I'm looking at for future updates, great ideas!

-Matt
    @FMJgames

15. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    You should make the levels with enemies of sorts and the timer should be OPTIONAL. I think the game is cool, but it also feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. With enemies, power ups, bosses, etc. this game could've been THE game comparable to Super Mario 64 and those others previously mentioned. Just think about it. Maybe you'll make a whole other game like that. I know that is that was the case, and the gameplay was really in depth, I'd pay 10 bucks for it IF it was that good. But it's it just alright, I'd even pay around 6. Seriously, a missed opportunity is how I would sum up this game. That said, it is not a bad game. That's definitely not the case. It could use some better instruction, though. It has potential, as I believe DBC said. I agree with him 100%.

16. Ashes

Ashes Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Game devoloper
    Seattle
    Thank you for the kind words and hopefully future iterations will live up to what you and some other players are wanting! I know I want to add lots of things and push it in more of a God of War direction haha but this is only my first game on iPhone! 10 bucks wow!? Let's just start with 99 cents and I will do my best to deliver the game you want in my next release! You can think of this game as the foundation and with the next one I can build on this with more more more!!! Thanks for playing and leaving your comments!

-Matt
    @FMJgames

17. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    No problem! This is a definitely a great start! I'm looking forward to see how you update this game, and what you may bring next. I'll keep my eye on your stuff now.

18. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    So essentially this is somewhat like Mario 64?

19. Darklloyd777

Darklloyd777 Active Member

Feb 23, 2013
    I would pay 0.99 cents but I'm pretty much broke right now... How are the sales doing anyway?

20. vaelsh

vaelsh Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Rexburg, ID
    I love the collectathon genre! Super Mario 64 is my favorite game of all time! I have had my eye on this game for a while and would love to test drive it and give my feedback. If I could get a code it would be greatly appreciated! :)