My App Release: What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TheFootballPlaybook, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Phil128

Phil128 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    a little tip from my side.

i just released two apps so far. both of them are priced. when i set the pricing to free for the first time i got about 5k downloads in two days. if you want to go free anyway. i would set a low price in the first month, and after this period set it to free.

there are a lot of apps and websites out there which look for price drops and will give you free reputation.

2. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    I've read quite a number of times this approach to drop to free in order to get picked up by relevant sites and such like. I guess this would aid exposure and help increase downloads but does it increase sales? But good tip anyway - especially if you are planning on going free anyway...

@theFootballPlaybook
    Yeah, just quickly knocked up my site really fast with little testing! (I use to do frontend web dev work) I did use css media queries to present the site better on different sized screens, which is probably why it looks ok on tablet...

Cheers,

3. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    In my experience going free does increase sales long-term but only if you get in the order of 100k+ downloads while free - otherwise the extra userbase isn't really significant enough to get noticeable word-of-mouth exposure.

4. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Definitely a good idea to try and increase downloads for sure!

5. TheFootballPlaybook

TheFootballPlaybook Active Member

@phil128i don't think i can do that with this game. My main competitor is free plus the pricing model I have is that you get the first level pack for free then you hit a paywall for more level packs. I could have a paid version with a few level packs already unlocked but I couldn't then make it free.

Strange thing is that my main competitor released a pro version for 69p shortly after the free version. The free version is fremium with in game currency. Any ideas why they did that?