Which do you pick - free aps with ads or paid apps?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by LostIsland, May 6, 2013.

1. LostIsland

LostIsland Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Hey all - just wondering your thoughts on something about game trends at the moment...

Which do you generally download - games that are free, but have ads in them, or do you pay a little bit for a game without ads, or free but set up so that you have to buy in-app purchase items?

I'm not a huge fan of in-app purchases, but it seems that the biggest games out there all have in-app purchases, which means a TON of people are ok buying that stuff. That's the only reason they are doing so well...

What do you all think?

Very curious to know...

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    There are exceptions, but all too often seeing "free" in the App Store suggests I might be deleting the app again within five minutes. I think most people on this forum are more invested in gaming as a hobby and prefer to pay upfront for what looks like a quality product. The average App Store customer is different though, as the top charts consistently prove.

I'm happy with an ad-supported free game that offers IAP to remove the ads, but I tend to ignore games with consumable IAP, such as buying points, energy, cash or chips.

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    2nded.

4. One Side Software

One Side Software Active Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Game Developer
    Atlanta, GA
    Honestly, I'm not so sure selling a paid game will still be an option on mobile devices in a few years. I can easily see the various apps stores simply stopping to offer them.

5. As long as the ads don't impede gameplay too much, then I'm fine with free games with ads

6. Hate in game ads, those are instadelete.

Other ads if really small and hidden, then maybe somewhat tolerable, but no, don't like the current trend towards freemiums with ads. Even if they have a buck remove ad feature. Would prefer a buck premium app with a lite version far more, but those days seem to be numbered.

7. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    This.

There was a game I played recently (Cartoon Quiz I think it was?) where the in-game ads made the game unplayable. The ads would pop in randomly as I played, which would cause me to tap it and bam - I'm annoyed.

However, if the ad happens during the "in between" parts then I'm completely okay with it.

8. LostIsland

LostIsland Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    That's actually good to hear - I think many of those here on TouchArcade value quality games and are willing to shell out a few bucks for something with substance. Also, it seems like iPhone/iPad owners are more clearly willing to purchase quality, whereas most of the Android owners I know almost brag about the fact that they never pay for apps. That just encourages more adware in games.

9. LostIsland

LostIsland Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    I think this is a sad effect of the fact that free apps get over 100x the download rates...

Clearly the app was "tricking" you into tapping the ads. I always say if a product has to trick you into paying for it, it's not a quality product to begin with...

10. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Almost all paid apps have DLCs nowadays as well. :rolleyes:
    The only exceptions are those console/PC ports or those games that cost like $10 or above.

11. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I'd rather pay for a game.

12. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I like to play games that I think will be fun, and are made to be fun. Not business models, but pure gaming experiences. Period.

(though to answer your question, this usually means paid games)

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'd rather buy games

Problem is so many people seem to buy IAP's so freemium games are all the rage which is depressing.

14. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I prefer to buy outright, IAP is fine if non consumable and optional additional content that doesn't change game balance.

15. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    1st choice: Paid but with IAP expansions.
    2nd choice: Free with ads.
    3rd choice: Free with IAP consumables.

Usually the 2nd and 3rd choice games are deleted within the day...

16. LostIsland

LostIsland Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    The general consensus is that real gamers like to pay for their apps and not be annoyed with ads or constant IAP consumables.

But the stats show that there are really two types of users. The real gamers, and those who seem to only go for free apps but end up rewarding the IAP consumable apps with lots of "bags of coins" purchases.

17. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    As the typical premium app sells for 99ยข to $2.99, I can confidently say that any iDevice owner can afford it, since they could afford the much more pricey iDevice in the first place.

Besides, premium apps are for people without much money. Whales think nothing of dropping thousands on their freemium games' consumable IAPs...

18. grillaface

grillaface Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Richmond VA

All the more reason to support Floris - $0.99, no ads, no IAP... and it's fun.