Dead Squared by End Boss Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Mar 27, 2013.

1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
  2. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    #2 tofusoup, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks for making the post :), but that is the wrong video. However that game does look pretty cool too :)

If anyone has questions, I'll be here. Oh yea, thanks TA crew! It's really cool to finally see them in person.

thanks!

3. Sloany

Sloany Well-Known Member

doh!!!

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    DARN IT! Sorry about that, I'm on it!

EDIT: Alright fixed it. :) And it does look great!

5. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm looking forward to Dead Squared; glad to see End Boss Games still in the running. Chicken Escape is a gem. How is progress on Dead Squared?

6. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    @undeadcow

Thanks! Struggling indie but still hanging on :). We just added Dead Squared on indieDB

http://www.indiedb.com/games/dead-squared

We will be focusing a bit on Web/PC builds. Anyone can play our current build that we showed at GDC here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16491721/zdk/zFPS.html

We are reworking how the rooms load. Once that's working better we will focus again on enemies, loot drops and crafting.

Our goal is to focus on PC build, and port it over to iOS. Since we are using Unity, it should be fairly easy.

I'll make another post when we have something worth checking out :).

7. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I'd just like to say that the concept looks very promising. Best of luck with the game! Definitely keeping an eye on this title.

Suggestion: how about instead of forcing all players to just have control over the X axis, you put an option to enable/disable Y axis control in the menu under settings? Have it on by default, but advanced players and those who want more control/have mastered touch controls can flip it off. IMO giving a player more options is never a bad thing.

8. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    @JBRUU

It's totally possible. I'll put it on the list. We started out with free look/aim, but since removing it we also added some additional support to the no pitch setup...mostly auto aim pitch.

We are moving to a projectile based shooting system. So every bullet is a physical object. That's what we will test next once we sort out the rooms.

In terms of RPG elements of shooting, it will match up with Borderlands. As we already have some visual damage popping off of the enemies. I'm a big fan of Borderlands.

The reticule/cross hair doesn't really do a good job yet, but we will also have recoil affect gun accuracy and damage. So rapid firing will cause the weapon to be less accurate and less damage.

I also mentioned in the video we will have a decent range of weapons, from modern to sci-fi. We have a bunch of art done, but not implemented :). The more rare weapons will have to be crafted. Player will find schematics from monsters. The quality of the weapon is based on player level, and current game session. So the further you get in the current play through the greater odds of finding something really cool. But your player level will determine the type of weapon that is dropped. So hopefully this will have a good ramp up into the better weapons as you level up.

Lastly :), this game will have some form of permadeath. I'm not exactly sure how to handle that yet. But it won't be as harsh. Meaning you get to keep your levels, but whatever you had in your inventory is gone for that session. There will be lock boxes to store inventory though. You will most likely keep what is equipped. We also thought about some way to recover your corpse, by randomly placing it in a room when you replay.

Ok that's enough ranting for now :).

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    That's not ranting...I found it all very interesting. Looking forward to it even more! Glad you're taking my suggestion under consideration.

Is most of the game going to be the Doom style underground/indoor levels or will there also be outdoor areas?

10. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    It will all be underground inside the facility where the fiction takes place. I intended to be like zelda dungeons. A good example are some current roguelike games...like Binding of Isaac, where you go from room to room. We are basing it off those type of games, but putting the player in a FPS perspective.

Yea for sure. I think one of the things we are doing differently is just trying to get exposure out earlier. Way earlier in this case. Also by releasing builds along the way we can get more feedback from the players to make changes accordingly when we feel it's a good fit.

11. Zeldaniac

Zeldaniac Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2012
    This looks awesome. I'll be downloading the PC build this weekend. I'd love to beta test once it's on iOS.

12. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    Sweet, thanks. Yea I'll post an update once we start testing for iOS.

Just saw someone made a post on reddit and did a recording of the current build.

We are looking to have a new demo Around end of April.

13. metroidvictim

metroidvictim Well-Known Member

this looks awesome! i played the demo and its easy to get immersed in with the limited amount of items/enemies available. this is going to be instabuy day one for me! i would also like to see the free aim implimented but its not a deal breaker, also curious to see the variety of paranormal enemies you guys have planned. it would be cool to have a sort of research lab/workplace room to craft guns or items, and view stats of enemies encountered. since the premise behind the game is a mass escape of research subjects, will there be rare enemies that could be captured instead of killed? maybe like a trophy room of your collected rare specimens could be added

14. Truncana

Truncana Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2013
    WOW!!! Good job!!! It looks awesome! If you need betatesting on ios let me know.
    Thanks

15. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dead Squared looks amazing; this is my most anticipated upcoming release. That video is great. From Chicken Escape to zombies; who would have thought?

16. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    #16 tofusoup, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    Here are some models I was working on for different enemy types. Not all will make it initially. If you have an idea for a creature you want to see...I'll take some notes.

http://https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16491721/zdkMonsters.jpg

Here are some of the sci-fi guns:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16491721/sci-fi_guns.png

We had the idea of researching enemies. Through some type of monster manual. This would allow you do more damage on the specific type of enemy.

I don't think we will allow capture, but definitely unlocking a model viewer so you can look at the 3d model and animations. I always loved that stuff in games.

For sure, we will post again and remind people once we get there :).

Thanks! Thanks for jumping starting this thread :). There will be chickens in Dead Squared for sure! :)

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #17 undeadcow, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
    Those models look promising; especially the spider and giant caterpillar.
    If there will be chickens then surely they must also herald the zombie cows, right? ;)

18. metroidvictim

metroidvictim Well-Known Member

those monsters will be pretty cool im sure! how about some classics like mummies, spectres, maybe some aliens or something. i like the idea of the monster book, and i always dig a detailed beastiary (3d model viewer)

19. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How are things going for Dead Squared?

20. tofusoup

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    Slow, but going. After retooling how rooms are generated we had to rework a lot of other systems. We are fixing some stuff now, and then we will start taking a look at crafting. Then we should have a fairly solid demo. At that point I'm seriously thinking about kickstarter to get us more time to polish the game for PC, Mac and Linux, which in turn gets us a even better ios/android build. There's still a ton of stuff to do, so the game is still a bit far off. Here is a new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3co09Pijzw&list=PLxN1sgJI-ECJW_Ratj8sbI7dOO_2oKtGB

An undead cow can be on the list :).

@metroidvictim yea we do have mummy down, aliens is a good idea. We will try to do updates with new monsters/enemies for sure.