Universal Busy Roads [Working Title]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by pkMinhas, Apr 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pkMinhas

pkMinhas Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    #1 pkMinhas, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Traffic jams are a part of life in my city. One day, while I was waiting for the intersection to clear up, I came upon this idea wherein you are the one who is controlling the lights. I let the idea simmer on for about a month & last week I started building a playable prototype. The prototype is fun to play & now I am polishing it and creating a full-fledged game out of it. This thread will act as devlog of sorts wherein I will showcase my progress & ask you guys for feedback. I hope that when complete, this game will capture everybody's attention and
    make me an overnight millionaire :D

My Tools:
    Unity3D
    GIMP
    Inkscape
    Audacity

Here's a screenshot of an early build:
    [​IMG]

2. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Spent the last couple of days polishing the UI. Working on day & night cycle now. Screenshots soon!

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Can you post more screenshots? I can't understand if there is only a screenshot. :(

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #4 Primoz, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    You control the traffic lights. It seems from the screenshot that you have to make sure that the ambulance passes the intersection quick and safely, while also making sure that the traffic jam doesn't get too big.

I just hope that there will be "help the thief" kind of missions (Italian Job style). That'd be cool :D

5. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    More screenshots coming soon. I am polishing up the game a bit, will post more shots as soon as I have good looking frames :)

6. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Thank you for explain more about the game, dude. It will help me keeping my eyes on this game now. :D

7. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Spot on! You control the lights & manage the traffic and give special preference to emergency vehicles. I didn't have any 'help the thief' missions in mind till now but it sure sounds fun. Brainstorming time!

8. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Man! Creating the UI is such a cumbersome task. Spent the last couple of days creating the auxiliary screens for unlocking new cars, browsing through the existing collection. Also, spent a chunk of my time on integrating 3rd party services like Everyplay and Unity Ads. Hopefully, I should have a playable build & good looking screenshots available by the end of this week.Thanks for reading :)

9. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Slow & Steady wins the race

Hello everybody,
    Need your feedback regarding the main menu UI. Does it look too busy? Do the buttons look good?

[​IMG]

10. BirdBrains

BirdBrains Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Game Designer, Artist, Animator
    Shropshire, UK
    Whilst I think the buttons are fine, I would look to polish them up a little. The play icon on the button isn't centred and the 2 and 3 on the podiums are in the wrong order on your leaderboards icon. 2nd place on a podium is usually higher than 3rd :p The minimal art style is great, got strong Crossy Road vibes from this.

11. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Great catch on the leaderboard button :)

12. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    Looks pretty standard.

13. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Any tips to help spruce it up?

14. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    I think that is what you were going for and you suceeded. No need to change anything because it doesn't look bad at all, it just looks generic.

The play icon is centered (at least horizonatlly). You got tricked by an optical illusion BirdBrains :D

But I would center them vertically. Currently they are in the middle of the button as a whole, but the button is shown as 3D (with the darker blue at the bottom) and so the icons are not in the middle of the button. It bugs the hell out of me haha

15. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Haha! Yeah, the blue bar at the bottom does throw off the vertical alignment of the play icon. It did bug me initially when I had just finished the icon but then, over a period of time, I got my developer blinkers on and it didn't feel out of place at all.

16. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Here's how the game looks now:
    http://twitter.com/pkMinhas/status/597027423314542592/photo/1

I'm looking for beta testers. Help me improve the game. To enrol for beta testing, send me ur email id and device details at: [email protected]

17. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    Here's a replay video of the game:

Looking forward to your feedback :)

18. The gameplay looks fun. When do you plan to launch?

19. pkMinhas

Dec 6, 2011
    Software development
    India
    The plan is to submit for review by early next week. Should be out on the App Store by the first week of June.

20. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Looks interesting

Game play video looks good. Pretty simple game, not really sure what you are supposed to do from the video, do you click the screen to change the lights, or are you controlling the cars somehow?

Looks like the emergency vehicles make it a bit harder, but it doesn't look like there is much else to the game. If there are any other features or screens you should try to show them.

It's a cool concept, don't think I've seen any other games like it before.
    :confused: