Blox! A Lego(-esque) app... Coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by redd, Dec 15, 2009.

1. redd

redd Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Stamford, CT
    #1 redd, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    Hi all,

I'v put up a video demo of my upcoming iPhone 3D interlocking brick modeling app and thought I'd share it here. It's still a bit early in the development cycle, but all the major functionality is there and now it's just a matter of adding all the models in and (hopefully) a few tweaks. I hope to have this ready in time for this time next month.

I'd love to hear any initial reaction or ideas, suggestions or criticisms on the concept.

---- Updated on 2/8/10 ----
    I've managed to completely miss my initial beta/release milestones, but progress still continues! I figured I'd put up another video demo showing some of the new features added. Updated video below.

As always any comments, thoughts, criticism (constructive, of course) etc. are welcome; and for those who've requested that they be in the beta pool you're not forgotten... Just delayed, is all.

Thanks!
    - Corey

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Wow that looks nice. :)

PM me if you need a beta tester!

3. Chapperz :D

Chapperz :D Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    England
    could you get sued? i mean it won't say lego on it by the design of the bricks it identical to them.

4. redd

redd Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Stamford, CT
    Hopefully not :)
    I did check however, and the general patent on the whole interlocking brick-toy-thing does appear to have expired for several years (hence why there's numerous physical Lego-style clones out in toy stores.) The only reason I use the word Lego at all is because I figure people will instantly know what the point of the app is.

5. evantravers

evantravers Member

Sep 8, 2009
    This looks rad... if you want another beta tester I'm interested. I used to use open source lego-esque design software to build and render models since I was too poor to buy all the bricks. (huge nerd alert.)

Maybe you can take the same path blockland did and just go until lego sends a cease and desist: http://www.blockland.us/

Anyway. Looks great.

6. DaDramaLlama

DaDramaLlama Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Yea this game will be a hit! I'd love to beta test! Will we be able to beta test?

7. redd

redd Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Stamford, CT
    re: Beta testing.

A: I have no idea how to go about doing that (still gotta read through all the Apple dev docs on that one, I guess.)

and

B: Yes, once I figure out how that's actually done on the iPhone I'd love to have some beta users who can give some good feedback and learn how to break it! Please PM me with your email and what type(s) of device you have, and I'll let you know when something's available. Probably not till after the 1st of the year though.

8. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    I believe you also need our iDevice's UDID. I will send u a PM rite now with everything you need to know. Can't wait til first of January!!

P.S. Thanks for the quick response! Don't leave us hanging like some devs do.

9. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
  10. redd

redd Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Stamford, CT
    Wow, that's really helpful of you, thanks! (You're definitely on the beta list now!)

11. Drkdstoyer

Drkdstoyer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Artist for a developing game
    Tennessee
    #11 Drkdstoyer, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    Beta testing

For Beta testing I would make an account on iBetaTest.com. Its free and very easy to use for the dev. and testers. I am currently testing 4 or 5 games there and would love to do more!! so when you are ready add me to the list!!
    I'm using a 2nd gen iPod touch and my email is [email protected]
    THANKS!!
    DrkDstroyer

12. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    It's not a problem just tryin to help out a great dev! I sent u the PM with everything needed to give me the beta. I know we're looking at a late december/early January beta, but any plans on release date?

13. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Not a huge fan of that site, especially for new devs like redd. I think he should talk about the beta here. if he releases a new game he should go there but for first time devs TA is heaven. I reccomend sending him a PM with your UDID, email, and idevice.

14. Drkdstoyer

Drkdstoyer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Artist for a developing game
    Tennessee
    K thanks!

15. redd

redd Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Stamford, CT
    I don't have a specified date for release (other than as soon as humanly possible), but I'm hoping to hit middle to late January.

BTW, for those who are PMing me about beta testing: I probably won't be able to respond to everyone's email personally, but I'll try and make sure as many people as possible can get in on it. Thanks for your interest!

16. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    As an experienced tester, I know iBetaTest.com sucks.

Instead, I'd do the following: Make a group on TA as a sort of "lobby", then convert the group over to Google Wave. That way everything is professional and easy!

Whatever you do however, do NOT make it on iBetaTest.com!

17. Illegal Danish

Illegal Danish Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2009
    On the beach
    looks really good for a lego-like app

18. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Looks fun and interesting! :)

19. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    PM Sent.

BTW, you will get plenty of offers for beta testing here on TA, keep active here and you will be able to get lots of useful feedback. There is also a forum just for developers, where you can ask questions - there are a lot of independent developers here who are great people! :)

20. DaDramaLlama

Oct 27, 2009
    Eliminate Waitingville
    Yea, I also don't reccomend talking to everyone personally(hopefully you'll talk to me personally as i helped you with the beta). Also I have been talking to the 9000bc dev a lot and he says having a bunch of beta testers is a bad idea. I reccomend having around 10-15. Also make an invite only social group on TA and invite all of the planned beta testers. It is possible that the beta could be ready for shipping next week but you'd have to work hard.