Feedback for my app icon and itunes screenshots

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Appvism, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
  2. My first impression on looking at the screenshots was "It's too pink" - but then I realized that it was called "Pinky Maths", so that does make sense :)

Was breaking the word "Pinky" in two in the title screen a design decision? Personally, I would have preferred that the word was kept as a single word because it might be confusing as to what was meant. But that might just be me ...

I get the concept but do wonder if it would be fun for kids to play with simple shapes which are all the same shade of colour? What is your target age range? Are you expecting the child to play the game by themselves? Or do you expect an adult to explain the concepts (such as circles being 1 unit and triangles being 10) in case the child is too young to understand/read?

3. cadaei

cadaei Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

What is the last screen?

You could enhance the screens with call-outs so that it's more clear what is going on. (They don't have to be pure screenshots)

On the screen with the equation I saw what you were going for, but the next screen says 1/10 with a similar screen, which could be confusing.

4. Jakintosh

Jakintosh Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Game Designer/Programmer
    Montreal, QC
    On the title screen, I would rejoin the word "Pinky" so that the three words are stacked on top of each other like so:

Simple.
    Pinky.
    Maths!

As for the icon, it definitely captures the aesthetic of the game in a simple way. Great Job!

-Jak

5. pocketeers

pocketeers Well-Known Member

May 11, 2011
    Looks great, although you may want to thicken up in the white lines on the app icon so it doesn't disappear for lower resolution versions of the icon.

6. bunksteve

bunksteve Member

Feb 10, 2014
    My only comment would be to reinforce what Jakintosh said above, plus also add "Maths" isn't a common usage in North America and seems like a typo. I know it's a common shortening of the word "mathematics", but I only know that because I did a four second google search... which is more than the average consumer might do.

Anyway, short version: Stack the title words like was suggested above and change "Maths" to "Math" for us dumb 'Murricans.

7. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    The icon is great, but the screen shots make it (for me, atleast) hard to see what you do in the game.

8. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    Pink pink pink...

It's maths for girls, right? It better have to be.

I don't want to go through this but of course it's got nothing to do with what I think of pink. Pink is fine. Mmh whether parents will dl this for their 4, 5, 6, 7 year old boy... remains to be seen.

imho the icon is spot on, the mmh... monochromatic pink of the screenshots does not convince however. And the font showing in screenshots (smaller text) does not feel casual enough?

If you (or others) want to comment on my screenshots and icon as well (already in store), ready to get some flak.

link => https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-strain/id816387993?mt=8

If anything, just a little white / padding would actually make this pink shine pinker.

9. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Too pink, especially two pinks and white, looks like a dating app or something girly, the icons ok, I'd advise just change the colours, I'd go white background with primary colours and some secondary colours if primary's are not enough, seen as it's aimed at children, I think that should help keep the colours playfull and childlike. I'd use a round font for the same reason.

10. nicolasgb

nicolasgb Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Co-founder at HereWeGames : http://www.facebook.co
    Paris, France
    I'd add callouts to the screenshots so people understand better what they illustrate. 1 screenshot = 1 key feature = 1 call out.
    Also the icon could be clearer about the promise of the game (maths): when I first saw it, I thought it was for a kind of pink Pong (pun not intended ^^) instead of a maths game.
    Good luck !

11. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Woops, haven't been here for a while now, didn't think this post will be getting much replies! :p (especially since its a very pink-style math(s) game, haha!...)

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to you all for your thoughts and feedback, I appreciate it!

Cheers,

12. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    I dig your icon. Very nice.
    I don't mind the pink, but you might want to tone it down or pastelize it a bit, to obtain the kind of hues you get today in flat design, and perhaps two or three variations from time to time, just to bring a subtle hint of variety in your screenshots.
    It's cheap and quite helps, otherwise someone might think ok, it's more of the same beyond the first picture.

I had problems to understand the point to understand the game from this unique tutorial image :
    http://a1.mzstatic.com/us/r30/Purple4/v4/b1/11/78/b11178d4-7458-a99e-c014-397af8619236/screen568x568.jpeg

The equation on the top left corner wasn't obvious to link to what was sitting on the board. Especially since you had to realize that it was halved.
    Perhaps make the equation more obvious, bigger, and move it at the center top or center bottom of the screen in such a way that the number on the left side of the plus sign is on the left sign of the dotted fence. Same for the number on the right side of the plus sign.
    As to where place the equal sign and the result of the equation, tough one.

Plus the "ignore" and "real" tags don't help. They kinda disturb and slow down the comprehension of the rules.
    It's simpler to put a line of text that says "count the dark shapes and add their values". Explain, right next to that, each shape's respective value (because it's indicated in the top right corner and then again it looks like something you collect).
    In fact, maybe the quickest way to have the message sent to your audience in the tutorial section is to literally put the value inside the shapes (as long as it's readable).

Regarding the last picture, I guess you made an artistic choice, but I think a string "Answer ?" would really explain what those four rectangles are all about.
    Maybe the answer doesn't have to always appear. Either it's only on the promo pictures or the tutorial.

For the title, I agree with other opinions that Pinky looks better as a whole word.

13. optimizemyapps.com

optimizemyapps.com Active Member

Jan 10, 2014
    App Store Optimization Expert
    This might be a repetition of what other people have already said:

- Pink Color - I am assuming you are only targeting Girls, if you are targeting boys too then you need to choose a gender neutral color
    - Screenshots - You need to Annotate your Screenshots with words, explain each feature ; the whole point of screenshots is to educate the user about the game & its features. Dont make users read the description as they will loose interest & skip to the next app
    Icon - Its neat & catchy, except for the color i.e., if you are targeting boys too then you need to change the color

Definitely change "Maths" to "Math" in your description if you are targeting the US market