Universal app? Universal SAVES!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Squablo, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Squablo

Squablo Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Well I'm getting kind of frustrated over here, but at the same time, I am grateful. Let me explain.

Thank you to all the devs who choose to go the path of the universal app. I cant thank you enough. Being an owner of both iphone 4 and ipad, I love the whole idea of being able to play a game on both devices. Simply awesome. Now, here is where my frustration begins. Ill use for example: Infinity Blade.

I love Infinity Blade, even though it could use a massive injection of content, the game is fantastic. Im over level 40 on my ipad...........but I'm only around level 7 on my iphone. I just cant sit though leveling up my character AGAIN. That's a lot of repetition. If we could get some kind of universal cloud saving, universal apps would truly be that, universal.

There are a few games that currently use OpenFeint for just that reason. Galaxy on Fire 2, Hook Worlds, Super Quick Hook, etc. My plea is this: Lets come up with a way for everyone to do this, and easily. I'm not sure if GameCenter can be used for this, but this seems like it would be the most easy and straightforward way for devs to tackle this situation.

I just downloaded Battleheart, which seems amazing so far, but now I'm torn as to which device I want to run it on, because I don't really want to play the game twice, at least not at the same time. Dungeon Defenders.........I'm looking at you too.........

Who's with me? What can we do about this? Are any devs reading this?

2. broadpfc

broadpfc Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Canada
    I am not a dev and I have also both ipad and ipod. I totally understand your situation and I am experiencing it too. It is a good thought, but i think it is just hard to do...

3. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    It's incredibly hard to implement as the dev must have servers to host the app and a way to securely access it. In app purchases only make it more confusing...

What you could do is plug both your devices into your computer, download iPhone explorer, click on the app you want, open the "documents" folder, and then drag the game save in that folder over to your iPad. Not perfect, but it's quick and it works.

4. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    This. I'm sure Apple has gotten several feature requests from devs to implement storage on Game Center - that would be the best solution.

You don't have to resort to ugly hacks - iTunes has perfectly usable (and stable, and official) document management for this sort of thing, if a developer chooses to support the feature. There are however, several reasons not to support such a feature.

5. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    That would be awesome. Apple sponsored and easy to implement too, I would assume.
    You don't have to resort to ugly hacks - iTunes has perfectly usable (and stable, and official) document management for this sort of thing, if a developer chooses to support the feature. There are however, several reasons not to support such a feature.[/QUOTE]

It does? Guess I learn something new every day. But this takes too much time, I assume. And using iPhone explorer works for any app, though it's definitely an ugly hack and there should be a better way.

6. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I've used iPhone Explorer to check the security of my savegames/scores and lets just say that the file on the device and the file you end up with on your desktop aren't always equal. Be sure to backup through iTunes before screwing around with that app!

7. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    I don't have an ipad yet but plan to get an ipad 2. I currently have an iphone and am anticipating the same problem. I'm not fussed on the way apple handles save games at all to be honest, the fact that they are attached to your backup perminantly ( except for hacks ) and not attached to the app itself can cause major problems. Let me explain what I mean, firstly if you remove an app from your iphone the save game is lost. This cought me out a while back when I removed a few games to make room for more music to take on holiday, reinstalling the games I was gutted to find my saves lost forever. The other problem is sometimes its necessary to restore your iphone with a clean install and forget about your backup because whatever problem you may have with your iphone is in your backup file, this is even recommended by apple sometimes to fix a missbehaving iphone. This means all your save data is gone, and as time goes on and we install more and more apps/games obviously this is becoming a bigger issue.

8. LucianOrb

LucianOrb Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Brazil
    Game Center can't even track properly offline achievements, let alone game saves.

9. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    word.. I got a 12k on monster dash offline. It didn't count, so i was like fuc* that and deleted it

10. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    No one said it does :confused: If enough developers and users ask Apple nicely made it will in the future.

@Epox: There's a bug in Game Center in iOS 4.2 where it reports "A OK" after sending a score even if you're offline. Unfortunately even well-behaved apps that properly save scores for later can't reliably work around this bug, so please don't blame the app. iOS 4.3 should fix this.

11. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    This is actually a developer issue. Apple specifically left GC integration coding completely to developers to implement. The syncing to GC from offline to online is the dev's responsibility to include, not Apple's. In any case, this has been an issue quite often for me too.

12. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    That's true, but that aforementioned bug makes it look as if Game Center is online and working even when it isn't. So even apps that save scores properly for offline cases are affected - the app can only assume Game Center got the score since no errors are returned.

13. jaaron

jaaron Active Member

Sep 30, 2010
    I know I'm resurrecting this thread after a month, but can I just add my voice of support for this feature. Not syncing saves between devices is incredibly frustrating. Moreover, this could also solve the issue of losing all your saved game state when you delete a game due to not having enough space on your device.

The features we're really looking for are:

• Multiple game profiles for those who share devices with friends & family
    • Saved games are automatically synced to the cloud
    • Saved games can be restored on re-installing a game

Ultimately, this sort of functionality needs to be provided by Game Center or OpenFeint or the like as that's the only way we'll see proper adoption by developers.

Let me also add one last point: for this to work, the games should be properly universal. This would be much more difficult to implement when developers have iPhone and "HD" versions. Please developers, I really just want to choose between Lite, iPhone and Universal. I have 40 "HD" games that are merely just dups of iPhone games I also have. If nothing else, managing those extra games is a hassle. I'd happily pay a premium for Universal games.

And besides, the iPhone 4 is more "HD" than the iPad anyway...

14. terencefish

terencefish Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    This idea is good for now. Will follow your suggestion.