Will iPad gamers expect full length console gaming?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Ian, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    It almost seems to me that iPad gamers will use it more as a mobile console, rather than as a casual device.

Taking myself as an example, I would be most willing to play a full-length puzzle or action RPG on the iPad. I can see myself using the iPad as a gaming device in my hotel room when I'm travelling or vacationing.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
    Ian
    www.floatingcube.com

2. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #2 bravetarget, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    What gaming experience would you expect out of a notebook? Not very much. The same goes for what we expected out of a smartphone. Though, the iPhone took full advantage.

In terms of gaming experience on netbooks, or even laptops for that matter, the iPad will dominate.

3. jclardy

jclardy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I think it will depend on price. Games developed for the iPad will need better/more graphics to fill up the screen space so overall will require more work. I think this will kind of defeat the 'rush to the bottom' mentality currently present in the store.

Sure there will be $0.99 games for iPad, but I fully expect to see games that cost $19.99 because they will be nearing console quality. Not for another 6 months or so though.

Of course, those with the 16GB iPad may be hurting for space if games went toward console quality/length.

4. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    I thought about getting the 16gb but after putting movies and games on it there wouldn't be much left! If your going to buy one you might as well get the 64gb, at least it will have better resale.

5. tukun

tukun Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    how many fulllength game could u fit in a 64GB?
    like 10?

6. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Depends on how compressed they are I guess. ;)

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I expect full-length games on the iPhone anyway. I'm not talking storylines/career modes, just that any game that doesn't last me at least 6 hours on and off isn't going to stay on my device very long. A game like Canabalt wouldn't be described as a full length game, but it's addictiveness is such that I can go back to it every day... so in my opinion longevity is far more important than length from beginning to end.

8. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Depends on the laptop. My Toshiba has
    Intel Core i5-430M Processor
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
    4GB DDR3 memory
    500GB hard drive (7200 rpm)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 360M discrete graphics (1GB DDR5)

And it can run any game thrown at it. And it has an 18.4" screen.

9. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I think it's especially important to note that the iPad has a TV-out mode.

Imagine a game on your television, and a touchscreen in your lap for controlling it. When the touchscreen is that big, does the lack of tactile input even matter anymore?

10. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Not really much of a laptop is it? More like a desktop with a folding screen ;)

I always wondered who bought those monstrous things... I can't imagine trying to travel with one. You probably have to take over the fold down trays of the people on either side of you to use it on an airplane, and then only for about 2 hours before the battery goes. I guess that's when you start playing iPhone/iPod touch games then :D

As for the topic at hand, no I do not believe that iPad gamers will expect console gaming. They will have certain expectations that the games they choose take full advantage of the additional screen space and look great (not the 2x upscaling that most iPhone apps will be run at).

Beyond that I see a LOT of these going to older people. 50-70+ year olds with tech savvy "kids" that are sick of administering their parent's computers whenever they get a virus from a video that uncle Bob sent them, or what hell does this popup "PC Load Letter" mean, that sort of thing. Get them one of these with a keyboard dock. Sync it a couple of times a year to a Mac/PC at your home, set up a mobileme account for additional storage, and let them go nuts with it. The vast majority of computer users out there simply want to browse the web, read email, and look at photos. They are not like you or I. The iPad will be instantly appealing to them, or to the savvy kids of theirs who give them one.

What I'm getting at is probably 50-75% of the people who end up with an iPad in the first year or two will be extreme casual gamers. The type who want a good crossword puzzle, sudoku, solitaire at first, and may branch out into some of the fancier casual stuff later like Harbor Master, etc.

Some people you hang out with around here are the wacky fringe case, ones who want PS3/Xbox360 games to be ported to the iPad! I won't even get into the crazier ones that would then want this game to be 99 cents with free upgrades for life, and a Pony. For every one person here that thinks like that and gets an iPad there will be at least a hundred, if not many hundreds, that like it because it's a simple computer that "just works", and oh look, I can play cards on it too :p

11. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I'm not sure this is possible, as it would mean dual display management.

12. Dizturbing Appz

Dec 28, 2009
    Dev
    Honduras
    Yea iPad gamers would probably expect console quality if their experienced in iPhone gaming since graphics were actually getting better on the iPhone.

But i think Apple should of waited a little longer since they "neutralized" iPhones nd iPod Touches, dont ya think?

13. slashandburn

slashandburn Active Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Birmingham, Al
    Not really, most people will still have phones in their pockets, but using Pad + Pod/Phone in combination could be fun, monopoly on the pad, roll your dice on your phone. play Texas hold-em on the small devices, and have the money pot on the Pad. Play a D&D role playing game where your Pod could be your controller, have stats and make decisions with your game field on the Pad. Play a game where people on the Pods could control hidden characters on the Pad and let the pad user search them out.

14. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Of course a new will come out in a year and it will probably have a camera, so I may just a buy the 16GB to keep me alive until the release of the next model :)

15. Ian

Ian Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Hm... Interesting thoughts on the casual users like the 50-70s. I wonder if they will actually be savvy enough to download apps. They will likely have a lot of green to spend and be willing to spend it, question is do they know how to spend it.

I'm thinking full-fledged casual games like board games and family fun might be interesting. Multiplayer stuff maybe.

16. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Although I am not impressed with the iPad overall, my initial thoughts about games immediately drifted towards boardgame-type environments and multiplayer on a single device.

Simple games like Air Hockey would benefit from the larger screen, and that concept could be taken so much further, without adding any complexity.

17. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Board games definitely, and puzzle games.

PathPix would go from this:

[​IMG]

...to this:

[​IMG]

...and I would be insanely happy.

18. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I doubt that there are many 70-year-old gamers. The first generation of gamers are now in their 40s and 50s--they are the perfect demographic for the iPad since price really isn't much of a concern. And they certainly won't be whining if a game is more than 99 cents.

"Savvy enough to download apps?" Anyone who studied BASIC or FORTRAN in college is certainly savvy enough to press the "Download now" button. The real question, Ian, is whether developers are "savvy enough" to create games and apps that will appeal to the demographic of the iPad. A lot of the junk that passes for "games" won't appeal to more sophisticated users.

19. donkbuster

donkbuster New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    I'm pretty sure the ipad, if it takes off and becomes a big hit, will become a big platform for gaming. Imagine carrying a portable screen with you anywhere: even though you might carry it for work, if the situation arises it can be instant fun.

Perhaps a challenge might be data distribution for large games (in the hundreds of MB). But I'll take this a step further and predict that the ipad will be like a portable TV/entertainment center.

Imagine this: you and your friend are on a long flight and are bored. You bring out your ipad, prop it up (I hope that's a feature) like a TV screen, whip out your ipod touches (as controllers) and start racing each other or shooting each other up.

20. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    Look at COD! It's only, like, 16 MB!