Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 10-14-2013, 09:06 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
Is this true?...
Well, I can tell you he's very excited about this particular game, having followed it since before it launched... glad it turned out as well as he had hoped.

DBC
Old 10-14-2013, 10:12 AM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboycroy View Post
Well, I can tell you he's very excited about this particular game, having followed it since before it launched... glad it turned out as well as he had hoped.

DBC
Well what do you think sir? Is this a premium game or a freemium game with a price tag? I mean $2 is nothing but its the principal you know?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:17 PM

Hey guys! Just posting here with my opinion of the game. Verdict: I LIKE IT! But if you're interested, read my post, as it's a little unorthodox.
Earlier in the thread, I made a post (influenced by how jaded I am over Gunner Z, or whatever it's called) critiquing devs making things too arduous for their playerbase. The devs behind this app reached out to me and told me they'd hate to lose me as a player. So, I tried this app out!

My first impression is that the graphics are well-done, and by that, I mean that a lot of care has gone into making the enemy models. If a mummy catches you, it's not just a bandage golem. It's got hair jutting out, it's got a crazy face, it's laughing because it has you in its grips. Awesome. Sometimes I run into them just to see that again. The environment itself is a desert, so...aside from some pillars that make you make tactical choices, there's not too much room for creativity there. There are temples (which I have not been in yet) and sandstorms (which I sometimes survive), which help mix things up in that department.

The weapons are cool. So far, I've unlocked the pistol and the crossbow. Here's how it works: as you run, you sometimes see urns - run into them, and you'll either get gems or a key. Keys that you collect are used to unlock chests found while running, which contain weapons. It's not my favorite system, but it lends a balance and a random factor to running. The pistol does a decent job of punching holes in mummies and has a fair bit of ammo. The crossbow one-hit kills anything and can pierce enemies - a nice, powerful, tactical choice! It has a low amount of ammo, however...
*An issue here is that you can't really tell when you've killed an enemy - sometimes you may see it drop, other times you'll be too close for the animation to tell you and you'll be one bullet over or under. I reached out to a dev about this, and he mentioned that it's something that he'd look into rectifying - but with a note that later unlockable weapons have a power curve that allow you to see more easily if enemies have died.

The unorthodox part of this game comes with gems, the game's currency. There are no player stats to upgrade, and no new character skins to buy. With gems, you can either A), unlock gear early, or B), buy keys that you might find in urns. I'm going to branch these into two separate paragraphs.

You get missions in tiers of 3 - kill this many mummies, break this many urns, survive a sandstorm, etc. When you complete a tier, you move up a "level" and unlock something new - a perk or a weapon. Perks come in the form of gear that will make some aspects of your life easier. Want double ammo? Sure! Want to stop losing five gems when you bump into a mummy? Okay. There are plenty here, and you can choose a max of three. Currency can be used to unlock weapons or gear early, which would certainly make getting to the next level easier in some cases. Weapons you find randomly from chests, which is my next point.

Keys drop from urns at a random rate, and using keys on chests is the only way to find weapons during a run. Some may like this, some may not. If you're in a rut of finding keys, you can buy them at an affordable, but not cheap, rate (I haven't gotten very far, but I seem to always have between 3-5 keys - haven't had to buy any yet, but I could if I had to).

The cherry on top is that the devs LOVE constructive feedback. I've been messaging a dev by the name of Mikael since day 1 of having this app, and he and I have had a good back-and-forth about the game. He's helped point out a few things I haven't noticed, and I've given him some player opinions. If you're on the fence about getting this app, let that push you onto the side of buying it. If something in the game doesn't click for you, you can tell them about it!

So, final verdict: A unique app made with care, best seen in the enemies. It can be a bit difficult at times, but with a currency system designed for you to decide what difficulties you want to get over and a dev team that loves to talk to players, you can't go wrong. Additionally, the IAP is not at all necessary for the average player (just additional currency - I doubt you'll need it, but buy it anyway to show some support).
Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amenbrother View Post
Well what do you think sir? Is this a premium game or a freemium game with a price tag? I mean $2 is nothing but its the principal you know?
E-P has already said it, and I've already said it. The way the game exists, sadly it feels more like the latter. I hate saying it, but yeah.

The Emerald thing is what it is. For context, my average score on SS is 2 million coasting, E-P BREATHES endless runners, so take our opinions for what they're worth.

I don't "suck at games," and I have no problem with grinding, but the "one step forward, two steps back" thing just doesn't work in a paid game... even less so in a paid game with IAPs.

The bag might help, but I'm not even interested in seeing how the game plays after I've wasted a slot just to keep my earnings. Seriously increasing pick-ups or seriously decreasing item costs would help, but as it stands? Yeah. That.

DBC
Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 AM
iPad Air 2, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
ALL control options found in Into the Dead are present in Escape From Doom, and that includes an invisible left/right dynamic stick on the left with the attack on a tap anywhere on the right.
I can’t believe that I have to start always from scratch with the looong text passages and tutorial at the beginning (maybe I’m too stupid to reach level 2). When I’ve switched to other controls than default (urgently recommended on iPad) that tutorial doesn’t work at all (needs default controls—otherwise no progress possible) and you have to kill the game completely (even in multitasking bar) and restart after each dead.

Also there is no auto-rotation. Hard to recommend it even for free. Graphics and atmosphere great, anyway.

Edit: I’m in level 2 now and the game still starts with the tutorial…

Last edited by Habakuk; 10-30-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Old 10-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
I can’t believe that I have to start always from scratch with the looong text passages and tutorial at the beginning (maybe I’m too stupid to reach level 2). When I’ve switched to other controls than default (urgently recommended on iPad) that tutorial doesn’t work at all (needs default controls—otherwise no progress possible) and you have to kill the game completely (even in multitasking bar) and restart after each dead.

Also there is no auto-rotation. Hard to recommend it even for free. Graphics and atmosphere great, anyway.

Edit: I’m in level 2 now and the game still starts with the tutorial…
Mine doesn't start with the tutorial, thought level 2 would disable it, maybe there is some other way.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:08 PM

They are dead but not forgotten!

TA just reviewed Escape from Doom, check it out.
http://toucharcade.com/2014/02/18/escape-from-doom-review/
Old 06-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Escape from Doom is now FREE.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id674780944?mt=8

Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I remember the good and the bad on this one, but i cant find anything on the app update descriptions whether anything's been done to the "losing of emeralds" part.

Im itching to play a decent runner game, and this could be it if without that mechanic.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:01 AM

GORGEUS GAME FOR THE IPHONE 6!

Escape from Doom is FREE for a limited time to celebrate the release of the new iPhone

https://appsto.re/us/qCfoO.i