Eliminate or Nova

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Thorbjorn, Oct 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

NOVA vs ELIMINATE

1. NOVA

115 vote(s)
    79.9%
  2. ELIMINATE

29 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. Thorbjorn

Thorbjorn Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    So, who's waiting for what? I'd say that Eliminate will be pretty polished, but if I had to root for a game, it would have to be Nova. Eliminate just feels like a scam Job posting on craigslist, that promises free training, and a 60k starting salary. Then you show up, and you gotta pay, but it's refunded upon hire. Riiiiight. Sure it is. And that's if your hired. A room full of people, only only two spots available.

I hope they spend a lot of time on Nova, and all these other great Gameloft titles were just a build up to something great, like Nova may be. It is almost like each great recent game takes a piece of this theoretical uber game that Gameloft is secretly developing. One could only hope.

2. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    I dont quite understand what you mean, but Eliminate is obviously the better of the two. That is unless you are a fan of Gameloft and their cheap ripoffs that never get updated.

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I prefer the Halo style of FPS gunplay compared to Unreal Tournament, plus I'm still not a fan of Eliminate's microtransaction system.

Right now Nova. Eliminate looks kinda lame.

4. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

i have gotta say eliminate, idk i would just feel better supporting ngmoco over gameloft (and as someone pointed out gameloft never updates)

5. Thorbjorn

Jul 5, 2009
    #5 Thorbjorn, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
    The micro transactions. I'm just not a big fan of them being so closely associated with game progress. Sure, you can play without earning credits, but just imaging playing a rpg where your have to wait 90 minutes before you can start gaining exp. again, and then wait another 90 minutes after destroying 3-4 monsters. OR, you can spend baby's milk money on energy, OR you could even apply for a credit card and destroy your credit, condemning you to that one bedroom apartment with your family of three. Micro transactions should add to gaming experience, not hinder it.

It sure is smart, though. Good job, ngmoco.

6. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    +1. Those marketing developers deserve a giant chocolate chip cookie.

7. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

well, i dont think 90 minutes is a very long time to wait

8. Thorbjorn

Jul 5, 2009
    Then you've made your choice. I don't know how long it will take to blow through 3-4 games, but I'm assuming not long, especially for noobs who are getting head shotted whilst fumbling through their inventory. And same goes for the ones who are getting the head shots as they free fall off a platform to melee player number three. They wont be in their room for long, clearing it out. Even with the complex algorithms.

I think ngmoco relies on this extreme short room play to frustrate people into buying energy.

9. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I'm currently leaning toward Eliminate, for RPG elements, such as stats, armors, and guns, that Gameloft probably won't elaborate on. I don't have the slightest interest in Nova, but I do believe that Sandstorm has some good potential for online multiplayer. But if it's local wifi, then no thanks.

10. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Definitely Eliminate for me. Looks way more fast paced, and I like choices to customization, like Modern Warfare.

11. K7A7O7S

K7A7O7S Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Full time something...
    St Louis, MO USA
    I understand where you are coming from, and it does seem to be a bit much, however they are giving you the option to keep playin, and experience is not a must (though it definitely is nice). They have to keep the servers up and running somehow. I am happy to pay a bit of my hard earned dollars to help the gentlemen who just spent a year of their life in the creation of Eliminate. Dont get me wrong, I will probably purchase NOVA as well. I just have a feeling Eliminate will outlive NOVA. Only time will tell.

12. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    We really can't tell right now, except judgment from screens and short trailers. But from what I can see, Eliminate looks very fast and fun. The microtransaction system may not appeal to all, but certainly, Eliminate is a semi-unique and clever idea, where you can battle on the go. Although it is limited to four-player multiplayer, if the maps are well designed, that shouldn't be a problem. And like someone mentioned above, the customization and upgrades should add more flavor to the game.

Although I don't think Gameloft is the greatest thing on Earth, I don't understand why people will go as far as calling them "cheap ripoffs." Sure, there are other games in similar genres that they "copy" off of, but "cheap ripoffs" is a slightly strong term. They do create high quality, polished games, especially seen in their most recent releases, from Gang$tar onwards. So, I believe that Nova will be an excellent game.

However, it was mentioned somewhere that it would only include five weapons, which could be a potential turn-off for some. That being said, most people only use their favorite two weapons, and hopefully Gameloft will update with new weapons and other things. The shortness (is that a word) of Gameloft games seems to be an issue, as seen in MC: Sandstorm, but if they live up to their promise of multiplayer, and it works (no substantial lag) then the replayability goes up by a mile. Also, although unlikely as seen in the trailer, hopefully it is open-world, and you are free to explore, rather than be guided by arrows. This makes it too linear, and kicks up the boredom rather quickly.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that they both have the potential to be great games. Eliminate seems to be the closest one to release, and I am expecting a lot from it. Gameloft's Nova is coming out in winter (I believe) and hopefully that won't disappoint as well. Time will tell, not screenshots.

13. Thorbjorn

Jul 5, 2009
    True.

14. S1ck James

S1ck James Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Analytical Chemist
    I am definitely waiting for Nova. I am hearing that it is a Halo rip off...and that is not a bad thing

15. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Correct...

But after watching a ton of Eliminate videos in the past for about 10 months, I found out that controls are acually getting better and better, the upgrading system is acually pretty cool and the animations are amazing. So I dunno, I mean come on... Online FPS/RPG sort of game right?

But positives on Nova, it also reminds me of Unreal Tournament because of the graphics, but what I found about Gameloft is that it has a reputation of glitches, I've come to a lot of glitches that weren't hard to miss, and that it lacks the storyline in most of their games. The best voicing and sounds that i've come across that's already out was Blades of Fury and Dungeon Hunter, I could've named more but I couldn't think of any right now, BUT it will be the first bluetooth FPS game out there (as far as I know). With of course... Kickass graphics, and Sandstorm's controls took a bit to get used to, but after some setups, it became great.

So in my conclusion, I think Eliminate wins this round because of its gameplay and "longitivity", you'll probably be playing for a very long time, unlike Nova, without it's Online Multiplayer.

But, Nova is also great because there's acually more and more people getting iPods and iPhones every day, acually... I found a ton of people who acually had a iPod Touch in my new school!

16. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Sine both aren't out it's hard to say, personally 'm looking forward to NOVA

17. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

If the Real Soccer experience has anything to say, NOVA will be laggy as hell. Hopefully Gameloft will put some better servers in NOVA. I'm personally excited for the RPG system of Eliminate. Its like Homerun Battle in FPS form

18. beetle004

beetle004 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Gonna buy both.Why bother with all this trouble trying to figure out which one to get??

19. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    +1 if ELIMINATE is cheap then I'll get both.
    Nova for sure is going to be like $6.99.

20. czarro77

czarro77 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2009
    Mental Health
    Houston, Tx
    Definitely getting both. Both will have their advantages and shortcomings.