In-Apps & App Store Search

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by muffie, Feb 3, 2014.

1. muffie

muffie Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
  2. GameByKids.com

Jan 27, 2014
    Consultant
    Vienna
    Loved the guy in the Youtube video in link A) ! Angry and rightfully so.

5c from someone who was dragged into this by chance and considers it a hobby.

It really all started with the FREE madness.

Why would any artist give away his work for free? Talk to any painter. Most would rather starve than give their stuff away for free. Putting free apps on the store is the greatest travesty of all.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But most apps arent free.

If you look at charts of apps with the highest revenue most of these are freemium titles. So they're clever really, people think they're free (which they are to install) but then it entices you to buy IAP after IAP so in the end they generate a ton of money. So its not like an artist giving away his work for free.

You've both offered promo codes to your games so thats giving games away for free as well. Then again when i look at some of the past apps such as 'Harry Pooper (& Pooping Bieber)' (by the thread creator) suddenly freemium games look like nothings wrong.

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Really? Free apps is no different to free websites.

Should I have to pay to download the app for Amazon or Facebook? Should developers be forced to demand payment for a game designed to promote a product or raise awareness for a charity?

Would you argue that free websites should be banned too? Or is it only on iOS that you think this sort of thing is unacceptable?

5. GameByKids.com

Jan 27, 2014
    Consultant
    Vienna
    Where did you read that in my posting? I had small game developers in my mind. I would love to see them compensated for their efforts. But that's just me. But at the end of the day it's anyone's choosing if they offer their product for free or not.

Facebook and Amazon are not free. Both a viable business models that make plenty of money by you giving up valuable data and sell you stuff (in case of Amazon).

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    So why would you give away promo codes for your games so people get them for free ?

Some people use promo codes, other people create free games which entice people in and then they might buy their other games if they like that free version.

Theres very few decent 'free' games on the app store, most are freemium which is totally different and a totally different discussion.

7. GameByKids.com

Jan 27, 2014
    Consultant
    Vienna
    psj3809 you seem to mistake me for someone else. I have no app in the app store and therefore did never give out any codes. My little son made an app (with my help) that is currently in review. No codes have and will be given out for that app ether (except maybe journalists for obvious reasons).

I was simply stating my personal view as a customer in the app store. But as I said, every developer can choose which ever model he pleases.