iPhone Project "Quest of Dungeons"

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ^DJ_Link^, Aug 12, 2013.

1. ^DJ_Link^

^DJ_Link^ Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    #1 ^DJ_Link^, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
    Hi there.
    I'm David, creator of another iOS game called Puwang. Right now I'm working on a new game which I codenamed "Quest of Dungeons", probably not a very good name, you let me know.

It's a turn based roguelike game, everything is different each time you start a new game, positions of enemies, the dungeon layout, loot etc.

I'm making all the code myself and had someone to help me with the art. One of my goals was that the game could run in either landscape or portrait mode, and with a screen as big as the iPad there was no reason not to do this.

The game is probably ~70% complete. I hope to have more news soon :)

So feedback is appreciated, and let me know suggestions for the game or what you think of the current code-name I gave.

EDIT: 28/08/2013
    Screenshots of all classes and main menu

EDIT: 02/09/2013
    Added iPhone screenshots

EDIT: 04/09/2013
    Added a teaser trailer

Here are some actual screenshots.

Hi-Res screenshots:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65262/qod_ipad_landscape.png
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65262/qod_ipad_portrait.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gsspzcw

gsspzcw Active Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Looks good. How many different classes are you planning on?

3. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    Thanks. There are 4 classes. Warrior, Assassin, Shaman and Wizard.

4. Fatty Bolger

Fatty Bolger Member

Aug 12, 2013
    I really like the art style!

What's the objective in this roguelike? Is it an endless dungeon crawl or is there a goal in mind? EX: "Go down thirty floors to get the magic key and return to the surface."

Also, how in-depth is the leveling up system? Are there skill trees or is this a bit of a lighter experience?

5. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    #5 ^DJ_Link^, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    Right now the objective is to reach a certain floor. The endless crawl option might be a separate mode eventually, it's not a bad idea. I also have some in-game quests, pretty basic stuff, like kill a certain boss monster to receive more experience or gold or find a particular item. They are all optional, you actually have to use a special stone to receive the quests.

The level system/skills is not tree based or anything complex.
    You have a level and killing more mobs will grant you XP and do the usual increase of stats, but you never gain skills by leveling up, you have to find them in Tomes to learn them.

Equipment, armor, boots, weapons all have procedural stats (power, magic, etc). Sometimes you might find something better, other times you can just keep and sell them for gold at stores.

My goal with the game was to provide a more simple approach to all these mechanics but without making them too "cheap".

6. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    instabuy :)

Im working on a procedural rl mysef (entry elswhere here).. I'll race you for first to release.

7. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal

Lich Tower of Doom? Made a quick search :p It looks great, watched the gameplay video, nice work.

8. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    indeed. Personaly I take any of these types of games over most top ranked ones anyday. too bad it is so narrow market for RL, had been fun seing what a top end studio could come up with with "endless" cashing support.

what is the shaman in your game btw ? cross of warrior and mage ?

9. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    GFX looks promising. What's left is to make it entertanining :)

10. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Really liking what I see so far. I think the iPhone/iPad is perfectly suited to rogue likes. I think the name is pretty apt, However, it might get lost in the shuffle in iTunes searches. Looking forward to a release.
    And with that, 2 questions you'll get asked whether its me or someone else on the forum.
    Any idea on a timeframe for release?
    Pricing structure? F2P? Paid without/with IAP?

11. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    Yup there's still much room for RL, but I think we'll start to see more and more.
    The Shaman is a cross between Warrior and Wizard, im making it use mostly stuff that debuffs enemies. So warrior is mostly close combat, wizard magic based and shaman is a mix. Assassin is mostly a ranged character

12. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    #12 ^DJ_Link^, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
    Thanks :) yup right now im trying to do it as entertaining as possible.

Right now I'm targeting for an early Setember release if this keeps progressing as it is right now, but can't make any promisses. Sometimes a simple idea that needed changing or refinement can delay things.
    As for the price it will be a fixed price and with no IAP. Personally I dislike F2P as it constricts ideas. I would only do an IAP if it would be something like an expansion to the game much later on. Never something like paying 0.99 for virtual coins. But right now I'm going for a fixed price, you get the full game, no IAPs and no Ads or anything.

13. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Both of those answers are good news. If we get it in September, cool. If not, cool. I'd rather you get it to the point where you want it than rush it out.
    As for the pricing, that's aces.

14. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    Hey everyone, decided to share 2 more screenshots.

The Assassin
    [​IMG]
    And the Shaman
    [​IMG]

Oh, and here's a printscreen of the main menu. All 4 characters.

[​IMG]

15. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    looks good. of course ill be picking this up (and any other roguelike for that matter) as soon as it drops :)

16. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    It looks great. And can you choose all 4 classes at beginning, or you only unlock the next one after finishing each class?

17. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    Thanks mekanikal :)

Hi Andre, I'm still considering both options, I'm a bit more tempted in having them all unlocked at start but it's not 100% confirmed.

18. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    Is this going to work on the iPhone as well?

19. ^DJ_Link^

Aug 7, 2010
    Programmer
    Portugal
    #19 ^DJ_Link^, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    It's a very strong possibility and one of my goals. The game already runs on a iPhone, but I have lots of problems with the UI, especially on 480x320 screens, theres too much stuff to show and not much space. most of the interface needs tweaks to adjust to the smaller screen. Either released right at start or later on it will always be an update to an Universal build and not a separate app.

20. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Are you going to upgrade to new classes? Or each class has many skills to upgrade?