The tree that refused to shed - from the creators of Striding Bird

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Comicool, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Comicool

Comicool Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi everyone, you might remember our interactive storybook 'Striding Bird - An Interactive Tale'.
    We've been hard at work and have just released our next interactive storybook 'The tree that refused to shed' available on both iPad and iPhone.

It's been a long journey getting this interactive book finished, and we really hope you enjoy the story, and find as much meaning from reading it as we have from creating it!

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

Link to video trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_dBUyqTNsY

2. Comicool

Sep 4, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    An update for the app went live today. Just an update on the way you can get into the parents page.

3. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    #3 Lavender, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    I redeemed a code in your other post. Thank you.

### Praise:
    Beautiful story.
    Beautiful illustrations.
    Nice children's music.

Criticism:
    # I don't know if this is just my ipad or all ipads.... The book can only be looked at upright. It doesn't turn with the ipad. #Psychologically, this might be crucial to some readers.
    #Some pages have interaction whereas others have hardly any. This was confusing for the younger kids.
    #Some of the words used were above the younger kids understanding. For example; usher. As in "usher fine buds to life" and "sensationally."
    #Also, I don't know where the book was written. IE: UK, US..... Sometimes there are minor phrases or word usage that is different in different countries so I could be wrong here ---->
    "They loved climbing it's sturdy frame, picking on delicious fruits that were sensationally juicy." The part is; "picking on." In the US it would be "picking the" or omitting the word "on" all together.
    ""picking the delicious fruits..." or "picking delicious fruits"
    In the home it wouldn't make much of a difference, but for an educator, it would.
    The term picking on means to harass someone. "Billy would not stop picking on Lucy until he made her cry." It also means taking little bits at a time like snacking as if the children were taking bits and pieces of all the different apples. A piece here, a bite there......
    Alternately 'picking on is used this way as well; " He kept picking on his sore so it would not heal." and "Will you please stop picking that? (or picking on that).

(An example not in the book would be the word poorly. UK - I feel poorly. US - I feel sick.)

I hope I made sense! LOL

Don't get me wrong. I would still allow my younger foster kids to look at it. The music is soothing so it would be perfect for a bedtime story.

4. Comicool

Sep 4, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Great! Thanks for your feedback Lavender. I really appreciate you taking the time to do so!

You make some very good points and we will take them all in an work on getting those issues addressed in an update. We are based in Australia, so we do have some differences in the way we use English so some localisations are probably the way to go.

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers!

5. Comicool

Sep 4, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Featured in Best New Apps in Australia and New Zealand!

Great news! The tree that refused to shed has been featured on the Australian and New Zealand App Store in the Best New Apps section! Thank you all for your support!